House Price Crash Forum

Toys You Had As Kids

SarahBell

HOLA441

C'mon share what toys you played with most when you were a kid.

I was a book worm but enjoyed using the vic 20 we had until it broke .... I blame my parents for not getting it repaired for me missing out on being a techie.

;-/

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
Guest Skinty

I liked soft (plush?) toys more than anything, like teddy bears etc. They all had their own names and identities. Each room in the house was a separate town. My favourite was ET.

HOLA443
HOLA444

General Melchett: Plastic toy soldiers, model kits, Action Men.

Me: Freedom to enjoy the great outdoors, imagination. We didnt have cardboard boxes in them days.... kids today can't imagine anything without a cardboard box rolleyes.gif

Honourable mentions for books, Lego, cuddly toys and train sets.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I know what I didn't have and that was a Girls World. Every soddin' year I asked for one.

I did have Sindy and she was so much better than that Barbie slut. Also had a Vulcan sewing machine, a wendy house, a second hand folding bike and a Tiny Tears.

HOLA4410

Off the top of my head, I was pretty happy with my second hand bike, old-school wooden skateboard (76 model), Frisbee (learnt to throw it to myself in a field round the back when my friends could no longer come round, after the incident), blue suede roller skates(!), various footballs (I was pretty handy on the right midfield), bouncy thing (made infamous by the meatpack murderer who never done it), toy guns (especially the Starsky and Hutch model which I once tried to carry on to a plane to Greece), action man with arctic warfare gear and improvised plastic parachute (luzzed over the stairs regularly) and later the ZX Spectrum which I spent way too many Saturday mornings on (Atic Atac and Defenda my specialities). Oh, I had a rocket launcher tank thing too, which I used to rig up to fire spikes into soft fruit. And the Bond Aston with ejector seat was neat. And I had a radio controlled McLaren F1. And I thought I was (relatively) hard done by. :huh:

In my defence, other kids had full sets of Scalextric and Atari play stations, tree houses and snooker tables. And soda stream.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Spud Gun!

stud-gun--2.jpg

I gave up on asking for skateboards (proper ones you could actually do tricks on) . my folks didn't have a clue ! All I used to get were these horrendously heavy flat planks of wood with no concave, massive bright pink wheels and melon skid pads which you'd never show your mates (who all had vision/santa cruz etc)

DSC03264.jpg

HOLA4416

Everyone had a couple of these:

VIP_Eagle.jpg

Not me. My parents never understood my need for one, and thus probably started my lifelong SciFi addiction.

No ******ing Soda Stream either. The family next door had one. And a girl a couple of years younger than me, as did the woman over the back. I was so jealous (of the soda stream).

Or a phone in the house till just before I left home.... bearing in mind we lived in the sticks, this meant total social isolation. Hang on, what was I thinking, what about those two girls? Doh!

HOLA4417

Subbuteo.. Loved it. Only had a few teams so Brazil would often play Bristol Rovers. I had a team of broken players with heads missing and legs snapped off. I called them Manchester United :P

Edit spelling

subuteo.jpg

post-12527-12804856409255_thumb.jpg

HOLA4418
Guest Noodle

Not me. My parents never understood my need for one, and thus probably started my lifelong SciFi addiction.

No ******ing Soda Stream either. The family next door had one. And a girl a couple of years younger than me, as did the woman over the back. I was so jealous (of the soda stream).

Or a phone in the house till just before I left home.... bearing in mind we lived in the sticks, this meant total social isolation. Hang on, what was I thinking, what about those two girls? Doh!

Soda Stream was one of those kitchen devices that sat in the back of some cupboard with other long forgotten kitchen essentials, like cake mixers and electric bread knives.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

When skateboarding first came on the scene. I can remember my parents bought me a plastic Lotus Tie dye coloured skateboard. All my mates got the huge wooden boards with fat red or pink or blue wheels and I can remember feeling like it was the end of the world. I would`nt mind but they spent more money on Crash helmet, knee and elbow guards.

Not only did I have a really uncool board but I was the only wazzock dressed as if preparing for a stint on gladiators :lol:

Tie dye lotus skateboard.jpg

post-12527-12804870729149_thumb.jpg

HOLA4421

We didn't have a phone until 1992. It seems inconceivable now that in my childhood the question 'are you on the phone' was pretty commonplace.

HOLA4422

Off the top of my head, I was pretty happy with my second hand bike, old-school wooden skateboard (76 model), Frisbee (learnt to throw it to myself in a field round the back when my friends could no longer come round, after the incident

WTF :ph34r::o:blink:

What's that all about? It sounds kinda sinister

HOLA4423

Big Track

1268227732-41268500.jpg

My brother's went mental and didn't follow the commands you gave it (perhaps it learned to think for itself :ph34r: )

The speak n spell went a bit mental as well. It became impossible to spell anything as half the letters became inaudible gibberish (a bit like Max Headroom having an epilectic fit)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

The dinky toy ones are worth some dosh if they're in good nick.

Archived