House Price Crash Forum

How Long Before Housing Associations Fall

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

With funding set to fall and the prospect of cancelled housing projects how long will it be before we see some large housing associations collapse.

If they're allowed to sell off properties as they become vacant they should be able to survive for a few years.

The days of pushing rents up 7 or 8% per year and getting this covered by HB are over though. Borrowing more and more on increasing property values also looks a bit unlikely now.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

A lot of the London auctions are packed with Housing Association properties. The exodus is already happening.

Don't they usually make excuses for this though....like saying that the cost of bringing these particular properties up the decent homes level is too high?

More like they need to service enormous loans and pay fat exec. salaries.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Don't they usually make excuses for this though....like saying that the cost of bringing these particular properties up the decent homes level is too high?

More like they need to service enormous loans and pay fat exec. salaries.

That's my thinking too.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I think there was a court ruling last year which said that they were publicly owned....still pretty unclear if you ask me.

They certainly like to gobble benefits..

I was just surprised by what Mega said - i.e. say you bought a 50% share of a HA house but you're not a social tenant, are you at any risk of the HA saying 'clear out, we need to sell this to get some cash'? This is hypothetical, btw.

HOLA4416

We do a lot of work for HA and the management guy we deal with is saying they are expecting 25% reduction in income.

Could be enough to tip a few over the edge seeing as he also said that 75% of their tenants are on housing benefit which is being dropped to the 30th percentile.

He expects big job losses across all the HA.

HOLA4417

I was just surprised by what Mega said - i.e. say you bought a 50% share of a HA house but you're not a social tenant, are you at any risk of the HA saying 'clear out, we need to sell this to get some cash'? This is hypothetical, btw.

Glad it's hypothetical!

I guess you have to check the small print in each case.

HOLA4418

We do a lot of work for HA and the management guy we deal with is saying they are expecting 25% reduction in income.

Could be enough to tip a few over the edge seeing as he also said that 75% of their tenants are on housing benefit which is being dropped to the 30th percentile.

He expects big job losses across all the HA.

Fantastic management, so they didn't have a plan for if revenue fell for any reason!