House Price Crash Forum

Job Creation

HOLA441

folk on this forum joke about productive work creation by digging holes & filling them in etc etc

when we were in india 1999 they had chain gangs banging rocks up just to create jobs, this scheme aint that far off !!

choice cuts:

We are trying to prepare them to be able to take the initial certificate in dry stone walling, Level 1 LANTRA/DSWA

With experience also in tree management and chainsaw operation, what ????

The scheme provides short-term skills (oh weelly )

Those doing the course are hopeful that it will give them new employment options - digging holes

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-west-yorkshire-news/2010/06/30/walling-lessons-at-castle-hill-provide-jobs-hope-86081-26752542/

right Im off to do my level1a sec1 subsec2.1 in chainsaw operation

HOLA442

My chainsaw certificate got me my first student job B)

Having said that, chainsawing as a long term job never really appealed - running around with toothless glaswegians in the Scottish highlands being eaten by midges just couldn't (PS. we took high strength vit c - only thing that worked against the midges!)

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA443

folk on this forum joke about productive work creation by digging holes & filling them in etc etc

when we were in india 1999 they had chain gangs banging rocks up just to create jobs, this scheme aint that far off !!

choice cuts:

We are trying to prepare them to be able to take the initial certificate in dry stone walling, Level 1 LANTRA/DSWA

Those doing the course are hopeful that it will give them new employment options - digging holes

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/local-west-yorkshire-news/2010/06/30/walling-lessons-at-castle-hill-provide-jobs-hope-86081-26752542/

I'll have you know that dry stone wall is a dying art, and very highly valued in the more rural parts of Yorkshire. I know quite a few people who would pay a bob or two to have a dry stone wall repaired. It's not just all about bunging pebbles on top of each other, you know. :angry:

I suppose you young 'uns think we should all be erecting walls in biodegradable polyurethane or whatever. Or building them out of sticklebricks. :)

HOLA444

I'll have you know that dry stone wall is a dying art, and very highly valued in the more rural parts of Yorkshire. I know quite a few people who would pay a bob or two to have a dry stone wall repaired. It's not just all about bunging pebbles on top of each other, you know. :angry:

I suppose you young 'uns think we should all be erecting walls in biodegradable polyurethane or whatever. Or building them out of sticklebricks. :)

I was just about point out similar arguments. People think dry stone walling is about slinging some stones together but as you know it isn't.

I hope concerned_money is a clueless southerner living in Huddersfield .. sadly will probably turn out to be a native.

HOLA445

I was just about point out similar arguments. People think dry stone walling is about slinging some stones together but as you know it isn't.

I hope concerned_money is a clueless southerner living in Huddersfield .. sadly will probably turn out to be a native.

Sad but true, your correct I was a native.

My point is not that drystone walling is not skilled, or attractive, or required. My point is that;

David Browns

ICI/Zeneca

CASE tractors

100+textile mills / heavy support engineering co's/ light engineering co's

and many other productive jobs are now gone, and the replacement...........dry stone freaking wall courses to fill the gap !

Huddersfield is an ethnic dumping ground, a post industrial slum, complete with the attendant high crime, racial divisions etc etc.

They need wallers up Castlehill, all the stone keeps getting robbed :lol:

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest Noodle

choice cuts:

I've dug and refilled a million cubic metres of holes.

Good honest days work in that.

HOLA448

Sad but true, your correct I was a native.

My point is not that drystone walling is not skilled, or attractive, or required. My point is that;

David Browns

ICI/Zeneca

CASE tractors

100+textile mills / heavy support engineering co's/ light engineering co's

and many other productive jobs are now gone, and the replacement...........dry stone freaking wall courses to fill the gap !

Huddersfield is an ethnic dumping ground, a post industrial slum, complete with the attendant high crime, racial divisions etc etc.

They need wallers up Castlehill, all the stone keeps getting robbed :lol:

Don't be so ungrateful the last government borrowed an awful lot of money to build a very nice new shiny university for students in Huddersfield to go to.

Some more money was even borrowed to build a nice new shiny shopping centre across the road for the aforementioned students to spend their loans, overdrafts and other borrowed money in.

HOLA449

Many years ago I had a summer job in a factory. One day it was putting straps onto watches; the next day it was taking said straps off the watches. This happened on a regular basis throughout the summer. This was in the 1970s. All this shows is that nothing really changes.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Many years ago I had a summer job in a factory. One day it was putting straps onto watches; the next day it was taking said straps off the watches. This happened on a regular basis throughout the summer. This was in the 1970s. All this shows is that nothing really changes.

Luxury! Me and me brother had to make those watches! Had nothin' but old baked bean cans and a press formed from a second-hand can opener. Guvner used to whip us with barbed wire every 10 minutes from when we started at 4 a.m. until we went back to the lake at 3 a.m. Father used to break our noses with a brick for being late home.

p-o-p

HOLA4412
Guest Noodle

Its amazing how many of those village wells in Thailand, especially Isaan, are dry.

No rain. Big problem.

Groundwater is down. My well is 15m deep. Dry. Groundwater should be about 2m below ground level by now.

HOLA4413

No rain. Big problem.

Groundwater is down. My well is 15m deep. Dry. Groundwater should be about 2m below ground level by now.

I'll be back there at the end of the month for a four week stay. No monsoon would suit me fine - I assume that the (plastic) bottled water is still dirt cheap.

HOLA4414
Guest Noodle

I'll be back there at the end of the month for a four week stay. No monsoon would suit me fine - I assume that the (plastic) bottled water is still dirt cheap.

20 Baht for 6x1 litre.

Where are you staying up here?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest Noodle

Changwat Phitsanulok. Haven't been back since the pound dropped below 70 baht so expecting some sticker shock.

Can I still get 3 bottles of beer chang for 100 baht at a village store?

Just about. Archers 30 Baht for 680ml bottles.

I'm over by Roi-Et. About 370km West.

HOLA4418

Just about. Archers 30 Baht for 680ml bottles.

I'm over by Roi-Et. About 370km West.

That's terra incognita to me. I did go to Khon Kaen once back in the 90s to get a visa to Laos. Locals kept coming up to me in the street and telling me to look out for pickpockets. Very quaint.

HOLA4419

Don't be so ungrateful the last government borrowed an awful lot of money to build a very nice new shiny university for students in Huddersfield to go to.

Some more money was even borrowed to build a nice new shiny shopping centre across the road for the aforementioned students to spend their loans, overdrafts and other borrowed money in.

but more importantly all these wealth producing former industrial sites have been converted into luxury flats using borrowed money.

said flats then sold at ever higher prices using still more borrowed money.

said flats bought by BTL'ers using still higher leverage.

said flats rented by BTL to DSS using still more borrowed money.......ad infinitum

said flats sold at still higher prices MEW'ing daddy house + 125% transgeneration.....OK I think I made my point clear

I think my initial point was the tone of the newspaper article was that of grasping at straws regarding future employment !

nothing againt walls, I like dry stone walls (honest) :rolleyes:

HOLA4420
Guest Noodle

That's terra incognita to me. I did go to Khon Kaen once back in the 90s to get a visa to Laos. Locals kept coming up to me in the street and telling me to look out for pickpockets. Very quaint.

It's the wild west. Although Roi-Et itself is surprisingly nice.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Guest Noodle

So it doesn't have a Big C or Tesco Lotus and all the locals don't blow their hard earned money at KFC or Pizza Hut?

Tesco, Makro, KFC, Pizza Company . . . all on the same street. Home Shop, Global Home (huge), Koncept . . .

Apart from that it's not a bad town now.

HOLA4423

Tesco, Makro, KFC, Pizza Company . . . all on the same street. Home Shop, Global Home (huge), Koncept . . .

Apart from that it's not a bad town now.

I remember going to the Big C in Phi-lok and seeing these local middle aged women in traditional dress gawping at their surroundings. They might as well have been on the moon. Strangers in their own country.

I hope the wet markets haven't completely disappeared in the 3 and half years I've been gone.

HOLA4424
Guest Noodle

I remember going to the Big C in Phi-lok and seeing these local middle aged women in traditional dress gawping at their surroundings. They might as well have been on the moon. Strangers in their own country.

I hope the wet markets haven't completely disappeared in the 3 and half years I've been gone.

No they're still here, it's why I give praise for Makro.

Issan's come a long way in the last 3 years.

HOLA4425

No they're still here, it's why I give praise for Makro.

Issan's come a long way in the last 3 years.

The more I see the more I believe Marx was right. Global capitalism running roughshod over indigenous traditions and homogeneising everyone. You know supporting Man U gives a Thai villager the sense of belonging that was killed by globalisation.