House Price Crash Forum

Aussie Prime Minister Jacks It In

Kingding

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Hmm looks like it will be tomorrow instead. They ran with him stepping down now it's a "leadership challenge". He'll be booted though, they hate him royally over here especially with his new mining tax ideas.

Anyhoo back to the footy.

HOLA445
HOLA446

What i don't get is why would changing the leader make a difference.

It's the policies the people hate , specifically the weak policy on illegal immigrants and the new 40% mining tax.

Bringing Gillard in would not change the fact people are turning away from Labor because of the policies and not KRudd specifically.

HOLA447
(From the Western Australian web site)

Julia Gillard has challenged for the Labor leadership after winning the support of Labor factional warlords for a challenge on Prime Minister Kevin Rudd.

She could become Australia’s first female prime minister at a caucus showdown that Mr Rudd has ordered to be held tomorrow morning in Canberra at 7am Perth time.

After a meeting with Ms Gillard and senior Labor figures in his Parliament House office last night, Mr Rudd revealed he would be calling for the urgent showdown.

Mr Rudd said he believed it was in the best interests of the party and the nation for this to be done as quickly as possible.

He said he was elected to his job by the Australian people and not by Labor factional leaders.

"I was elected to do a job and I intend to continue doing that job," he said.

The leadership spills come seven weeks after the Federal Government unveiled a botched attempt to impose a so-called super profit taxs on the mining industry and faced a massive electoral backlash.

After leaving the meeting, Ms Gillard said: “I confirm I will be a candidate in tomorrow’s ballot but I will not be making any other comment at this time.”

Mr Rudd said he believed he was "quite capable" of winning the vote.

The Prime Minister made his announcement after holding crisis talks with Ms Gillard and senior Labor figures in Canberra tonight.

Mr Rudd said he'd lost support from key members of the party during the last few weeks.

"It has become apparent to me in the course of the last period of time ... that a number of factional leaders in the Labor party no longer support my leadership," he said.

"That is why it is imperative this matter be resolved."

The Prime Minister said it was important for the stability of the government and the party that the matter be resolved.

"It's far better for these things are done quickly rather than being strung out over a period of time," Mr Rudd said.

Mr Rudd said if he was returned as Labor leader and prime minister, he would send a clear message to the right faction.

"This party and this government will not be lurching to the right on the issue of asylum seekers," he said.

He also promised to move on the issue of climate change.

He conceded Labor had hit "heavy weather" in recent times. "A few people have become a bit squeamish about that," he said.

But Mr Rudd said he was not squeamish and was committed to continuing his reform agenda.

I have friends there who would be delighted if he kept going till the gov't fails and the Conservatives got in again.

HOLA448
Guest X-QUORK

I must warn everyone involved in this thread that Australian politics is a subject likely to land up in the Most Boring Thread thread.

That is all.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

No wonder he's not liked..... I thought broon was a dictator....... look at the Aussies! Australian Government To Force Internet Users To Install State-Approved Software . The Australian government is set to intensify its war against Internet freedom by forcing web users to install state-approved anti-virus software. If they fail to do so, they will be denied an Internet connection, or if their computer is later infected, the user’s connection will be terminated.“AUSTRALIANS would be forced to install anti-virus and firewall software on their computers before being allowed to connect to the internet under a new plan to fight cyber crime. And if their computer did get infected, internet service providers like Telstra and Optus could cut off their connection until the problem was resolved,” reports News.com.au. http://www.prisonplanet.com/australian-government-to-force-internet-users-to-install-state-approved-software.html

HOLA4415

I knew he was a bit of a nutcase, but banning small tits .... some of them are the best!

I watch a game review on video every week by a brit living in aus and he constantly complains of the censorship of just about everything in films/games etc.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Is Australia facing its demons at last?

haha! That thread cracks me up, not that i've read any of it....it's just that it's always there and refuses to die. I often wonder if Australia has faced it's demons yet, or ever will. Maybe I should read it? I imagine it's full of Aussies saying "shut up ya bladdy poms, oz rocks! get in the back of the yoot, sheila!" and a few brits saying "nope you're ******ed!" ad infinitum

HOLA4419

haha! That thread cracks me up, not that i've read any of it....it's just that it's always there and refuses to die. I often wonder if Australia has faced it's demons yet, or ever will. Maybe I should read it? I imagine it's full of Aussies saying "shut up ya bladdy poms, oz rocks! get in the back of the yoot, sheila!" and a few brits saying "nope you're ******ed!" ad infinitum

SPOT ON!

Although it does get somewhat existentialist at points and amusingly cat-fighty at others.

HOLA4420

Nope - it's full of Brits looking to emigrate who are getting angry because they can't sell their house in harpendon and move to a palace in bondi anymore.

Loving the new pn - rusty roof, damp cellar as they say around here.

HOLA4421

Archived