House Price Crash Forum

Where Is The Cheapest Place In The World Where To Buy A Small House?

HOLA441

I am talking like under US$20,000 and in living conditions.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and eventually (depending on how good the info is, even rewarded.)

Please, the topic is very serious as I have little cash and need to re-start my life after nasty break up with my ex.

Because of my preferences I have to exclude the USA and CANADA. Also most of Africa is not good (except North Africa).

Any place will be considered, just obviously the safer the better even if I am aware that it won`t be very safe or with great infrastructure given the price Ia m looking for.

From my research it`s likely somewhere either in South America , East Europe or North Africa.

Would love your info and experiences.

Thank you

Edited by Homeless2010

HOLA442

I am talking like under US$20,000 and in living conditions.

Any info would be greatly appreciated and eventually (depending on how good the info is, even rewarded.)

Please, the topic is very serious as I have little cash and need to re-start my life after nasty break up with my ex.

Because of my preferences I have to exclude the USA and CANADA. Also most of Africa is not good (except North Africa).

Any place will be considered, just obviously the safer the better even if I am aware that it won`t be very safe or with great infrastructure given the price Ia m looking for.

From my research it`s likely somewhere either in South America , East Europe or North Africa.

Would love your info and experiences.

Thank you

Arent there huge numbers of empty houses in Spain? You might struggle to find an owner for some of them, perhaps you could squat?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I was going to mention Thailand as well. Your money will go extremely far there.

If it wasn't for personal circumstances, I'd live there for half the year.

It would be very appreciated if you (and others when advising places) to provide one or more examples of some local property for sale in any language.

Also, I don`t mind living out of main cities, I actually prefer them to be smaller than 100,000 people....or even really in the rural/country area, I don`t mind, as long as there are basic services such water/electricity.......(internet would be a bonus I suppose)

Thanks

HOLA447

Hi yes, thanks.

They seem to be cheap but maybe there is cheaper:

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Europe/Bulgaria/square-meter-prices

http://www.globalpropertyguide.com/Latin-America/square-meter-prices

But I don`t know how reliable is that source.

And what I can`t find so far, is REAL properties for sale, real examples......data can be old.....and that data refers to main cities only.

I think I need to search in foreign language cities. (local languages)

Thanks.

Poland is cheap, if you avoid the big cities as apartment prices have rocketed. Buy in the countryside and its cheap, as is the cost of living. Of course once they join the Euro, prices will climb.

Try here.

http://dom.gratka.pl/

I bought a farm, 2.8ha, for £37K. Actually, buying farmland requires a permit in Poland but it should be possible for EU residents.

Edited by Peter Hun

HOLA448

Poland is cheap, if you avoid the big cities as apartment prices have rocketed. Buy in the countryside and its cheap, as is the cost of living. Of course once they join the Euro, prices will climb.

Try here.

http://dom.gratka.pl/

I bought a farm, 2.8ha, for £37K. Actually, buying farmland requires a permit in Poland but it should be possible for EU residents.

Thanks, I will have a look, I have EU citizenship.

Cheers.

HOLA449

That price looks right, although you need to look into the restrictions for foreigners owning property before you jump in.

If you had the land already, you could easily get a house built over there on your budget.

Renting is very cheap also. I don't know why you wouldn't rent for a while before buying just to be sure that it's the right place for you?

HOLA4410

Have a look at Malaysia. I came across a place called Port Dickson and nice 3 bedroom flats with sea view were selling for $20,000. Malaysia was voted by International Living is the cheapest country to live in with first class amenities. Reason prices are this cheap was due to an overhang of property from the Asia crisis in 1997. Yes in some areas they are still feeling that.

HOLA4411

I live in a regional city in Tunisia.

20,000 dollars x 1.3 = 26,000 dinars gets you........ SFA

For a dumpy 1-2 bed flat your talking 35-50,000 dinars with anthing remotely "Western Standard livable" 80.000 dinars + in Tunis add 50%+

However lovely weather and you can live cheaply.

Edited by Fromage Frais

HOLA4412

You can find cheap property anywhere (including parts of the UK) so it's a bit of a non-question. You could probably pick something up for less than 20k in Detroit - but there's always a reason why certain property is so cheap.

If you are looking to buy overseas then look for places where the local currency has collapsed.

I wouldn't consider anywhere in Euroland with the Euro so high at the moment. If Greece drops out in a few years then there could be some bargains.

Many cheap and exotic countries heavily tax foreign buyers (up to 100%) so you have to check the details. Usually it works out cheaper to rent. Last time I checked you could find acceptable rental accommodation in places like Thailand, Sri Lanka and Bali for $50/week. If you head to Laos then I've heard you can live in relative luxury for half that amount.

Edited by LiveAndLetBuy

HOLA4413

You can find cheap property anywhere (including parts of the UK) so it's a bit of a non-question. You could probably pick something up for less than 20k in Detroit - but there's always a reason why certain property is so cheap.

If you are looking to buy overseas then look for places where the local currency has collapsed.

I wouldn't consider anywhere in Euroland with the Euro so high at the moment. If Greece drops out in a few years then there could be some bargains.

Many cheap and exotic countries heavily tax foreign buyers (up to 100%) so you have to check the details. Usually it works out cheaper to rent. Last time I checked you could find acceptable rental accommodation in places like Thailand, Sri Lanka and Bali for $50/week. If you head to Laos then I've heard you can live in relative luxury for half that amount.

Thanks for the reply.

I had a look at Thailand the other day and I read a few too many problems with the locals, their instability and how easy tourists could get killed so...despite some cheap prices I`d stay clear of that part of the World too.... I assume Laos would be the same....I do not have a great trust in how some Asian countries would treat white Europeans, I just don`t get their culture.

Bali has same problems...too many bombs

HOLA4414

20,000 dollars x 1.3 = 26,000 dinars gets you........ SFA

For a dumpy 1-2 bed flat your talking 35-50,000 dinars with anthing remotely "Western Standard livable" 80.000 dinars + in Tunis add 50%+

Hi, what is "SFA" ?

And, is tunisia.com your site?

Thanks

HOLA4415

Thanks for the reply.

I had a look at Thailand the other day and I read a few too many problems with the locals, their instability and how easy tourists could get killed so...despite some cheap prices I`d stay clear of that part of the World too.... I assume Laos would be the same....I do not have a great trust in how some Asian countries would treat white Europeans, I just don`t get their culture.

Bali has same problems...too many bombs

For someone that wants to emigrate, you don't seem that adventurous.

HOLA4416

For someone that wants to emigrate, you don't seem that adventurous.

Hi, well I emigrated already twice...and honestly, there is a difference between emigrate and risking your life.

Some countries have just too many issues...otherwise I would have considered all African Countries too.

Thanks

HOLA4417

Hi, well I emigrated already twice...and honestly, there is a difference between emigrate and risking your life.

Some countries have just too many issues...otherwise I would have considered all African Countries too.

Thanks

My apologies for my assumption then. It's just when you say that you consider Thailand to be dangerous - while I have the complete opposite perception.

HOLA4418

Hi, what is "SFA" ?

And, is tunisia.com your site?

Thanks

Sweet Fanny Adams

and

Yes

Largest independant website about Tunisia........ and get very little interest from visitors looking for property in Tunisia 1-10th of 2 years ago.

apparently 3000 dinars a m2 in Tunis (good bits now) thats circa 1500£ a m2, I say apparently since I know the main estate egencies and they all tell me its very slow on sales with only locals buying.

Absolutely nuts.

HOLA4419

The volatile area in Thailand is the Southern states due to religious tension. The only foreigners I know of who ended up dead in Thailand were either involved in drugs or had got involved with the wrong woman/man....so actually...given your current predicament seems down to a failed relationship...yes, maybe stay away from Thailand.

Anywhere you go in the world where a house can be got for so cheap will view you as the rich foreigner whether or not you have a brass farthing in your back pocket so you'd always have to careful and sensitive to the local culture where you go.

HOLA4420

Don't forget that Tunisia is a "one man show" a country ran by a military dictator

http://www.infotunisie.com/?p=31830ng to Cannes in March

BTW the Tunisan EAs are coming to Cannes in March

You also forget to point out "culture differences" between the Maghreb and europe

HOLA4421

Family have a small property and some agri land in the provincial Philippines. Still good value and within your budget, although Labour seems to be trying to trash sterling, so it has already moved about 15% downwards. I think you would need connections there to make it work smoothly.

HOLA4422

Don't forget that Tunisia is a "one man show" a country ran by a military dictator

http://www.infotunisie.com/?p=31830ng to Cannes in March

BTW the Tunisan EAs are coming to Cannes in March

You also forget to point out "culture differences" between the Maghreb and europe

lol But we in the UK have an unelected leader also! However that is a issue for Tunisian folks and there is a large elite/middle class who like him as there are some who do not.

Yes but its a foriegn country so you exect cultural differences surely? The wife is Tunisian (met in the UK) so find it ok more so than other middle eastern countries but then many hate it here so horses for courses.

its very much a 2nd world country.....hence why i feel you would be nuts to buy here at the current levels, maybe 1/3 maybe.

i do not advise buying a home in Tunisia it makes the UK look like a bargain.

Edited by Fromage Frais

HOLA4423

lol But we in the UK have an unelected leader also! However that is a issue for Tunisian folks and there is a large elite/middle class who like him as there are some who do not.

i do not advise buying a home in Tunisia it makes the UK look like a bargain.

http://www.tunisie-annonce.com/

Bonsoir

Fromage frais et a votre femme Tunisien

I have noticed that every -time you post you keep on telling readers just so how expensive it is to live in Tunisia

Looking at the first add on the above link of a total of 16586 property for sale in Tunisia

For a

120K you can buy a 4 bedroom with 2 bathrooms flat next door to the hotel "Sango" in Zaris

Not forgetting the "free swimming pool etc"

I just checked out the first one then j'ai compris :lol:

HOLA4424

http://www.tunisie-annonce.com/

Bonsoir

Fromage frais et a votre femme Tunisien

I have noticed that every -time you post you keep on telling readers just so how expensive it is to live in Tunisia

Looking at the first add on the above link of a total of 16586 property for sale in Tunisia

For a

120K you can buy a 4 bedroom with 2 bathrooms flat next door to the hotel "Sango" in Zaris

Not forgetting the "free swimming pool etc"

I just checked out the first one then j'ai compris :lol:

Thats the problem many foriegners say hey I can get a flat 30K euros!

1. It will be in the middle of a building site miles from the town

2. It will be finished like crap

3. It will be in a town with 0 jobs

4. you will be in competition with hotels/holidays under 30 quid a night all inclusive much of the time.

For Sango its south of Djerba hot yes but nothing there at all aside from a couple of hotels its a 7+ hour drive from Tunis and if like last year it can be a bugger to get flights from the UK. That is the amazing thing people build these houses in the middle of noware and then expect 100k + for them in Tunisia you not even getting in the town for these prices.

All the nice bits of Tunisia are multiples of this price as you have probably found out looking at Tunisie-annonce.com.

Below is a house smaller than the one I rent to 450 dinars a month (220£ approx) the average wage in Bizerte is 500 dinars a month!!

79032_20100123_143951.jpg

Details

Localisation Tunisie > Bizerte > Bizerte Nord > Cite El Korniche 2

Adresse la corniche

Surface 300 m²

Prix 450 000 Dinar Tunisien (TND) 209,000 £+

Texte

a vendre une belle villa 5 minute a la plage contient 4 pièces et une grande salon , terrasse, véranda ,un grand cave et jardin. lotissement titré

Edited by Fromage Frais

HOLA4425

Thats the problem many foriegners say hey I can get a flat 30K euros!

1. It will be in the middle of a building site miles from the town

2. It will be finished like crap

3. It will be in a town with 0 jobs

4. you will be in competition with hotels/holidays under 30 quid a night all inclusive much of the time.

For Sango its south of Djerba hot yes but nothing there at all aside from a couple of hotels its a 7+ hour drive from Tunis

I know a few French friends who go to Tunisia for there holidays in the summer

There idea of a hoilday is "cheap"

Cheap flights

Cheap hotels

Cheap drinks

Cheap food

Everything has to be "cheap"

This includes renting and buying property

Having said that once back here in France its the opposite that happens

Sell high

No price cuts put up or change prices

Take everything but give back nothing

I can understand your point of view and the points that you have made (a good reality check )

BTW Tunisia lost a national heroine last week "Cathy Sarrai" died at the age of 47 (cancer) famous for "Super Nanny"