House Price Crash Forum

Nasty Rent Rise For The Str's

HOLA441

I just had a thought about STR's funding part of their rents with their deposits. The drop in IR's means you'll have to stump up more to pay the rent next month.

I call that worse than a rent rise.

I'd be interested in hearing what in means in % terms for some STR's if you don't mind?

What would another .25% mean and another?

Maybe your rent is going up faster than you realised.

HOLA442

1. Rents are not rising

2. The rent I pay is a fraction of the interest on my STR savings (from the sale of 3 houses).

3. Property values are falling; when (if) I buy back into property it will be much cheaper. If not I won't bother.

4. I am not tying up capital in a depreciating asset. I do not pay stamp duty, maintenance, insurance and all the other invisible costs of OO.

5. I am free to sweat my capital and employ it in things that do make money.

6. I am not tied to a house - I have total freedom about where I live.

Anything else you would like to know about the liberation of thinking outside the box?

Edited by Red Baron

HOLA443
Guest uberstuka
1. Rents are not rising

2. The rent I pay is a fraction of the interest on my STR savings (from the sale of 3 houses).

3. Property values are falling; when (if) I buy back into property it will be much cheaper.

4. I am not tying up capital in a depreciating asset. I do not pay stamp duty, maintenance, insurance and all the other invisible costs of OO.

Anything else you would like to know about the liberation of thinking outside the box?

Harsh, but funny.

I have to agree. :)

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
what reduced interest ? my bank are not cutting their savings rate  :D

and can you be sure your lender will pass on the full 0.25% to reduce your mortgage payments ?  (they usually don't)

Is that your Barclays account at 0.1%?

I agree, as far as I know they're not reducing the rate. You're saved!

:lol::lol:

And yes, they do in fact pass on the full cut, it has been one of my requirements since having a Bank of Scotland mortgage in the mid 90's & watching them fiddle their rate, in their favour of course.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Another load of old rubbish from TTRTR.

Rents are FALLING....everywhere. I know because I visit all the EA to buy and EA to rent sites everyday and they have been falling for three months. In my own area there have been flats and houses to rent for months which remain unlet.

Today's pathetic "adjustment" in IR will not make the slightest difference. TTRTR well knows that the market is flooded with BTL's which cannot find tenants.

Rather than issue cautions about rents rising TTRTR would be better off warning potential tenants to take up careful references on landlords (yes folks it makes sense to ask for a LANDLORD reference) because half of them are going to go under (I hope TTRTR will be included in the next "cull" too!)

VP

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1. Rents are not rising

3. Property values are falling; when (if) I buy back into property it will be much cheaper.

I completely agree, particularly with point 6. SInce I STR'd we've started to realised that the only reason we were looking to buy back into the same area was simply becasue that's "where we lived". We've taken a long look at it and realised there are far nicer areas we can now afford. This is an opportunity we would never have taken if we'd bought when we sold.

HOLA4414

To give you a clue TTRTR and to show how little a one point drop in IRs will help you, let's talk about champagne which we know you love.

I recommend Joseph Perrier Fils - the 1985 vintage at around £80 a bottle. I have no idea what your debt is, but let's say £500K to keep the arithmetic simple. On that basis the drop in IRs will allow you the luxury of one bottle a month.

One bottle, say 6 glasses per bottle, or 1.5 glasses a week. Enjoy!

HOLA4415

According to the ARLA buy-to-let survey, rents have been as flat as the proverbial pancake for the last two years (their survey doesn't go back before this).

The survey is a slightly limited survey, but it has to be better than a sample of one.

Incidentally, increasing your rent can reduce your yield if it increases your void periods.

HOLA4416
I just had a thought about STR's funding part of their rents with their deposits. The drop in IR's means you'll have to stump up more to pay the rent next month.

I'd be interested in hearing what in means in % terms for some STR's if you don't mind?

Er, you are ignoring the fact that many STRs have placed funds into the Stock market - up 10% over the last 2 months and much more than property over th elast 2 years. Sorry to pee on your parade! Hope that helps etc

HOLA4417

Or to paraphrase the comments on this thread, what is so compelling about investing in property as a landlord? Stereotyped behaviour, an inate inabilty to think creatively perhaps?

There are far better places for money at the moment. And, really, who would want the hassle of property ownership in a dying market?

Edited by Red Baron

HOLA4418
Guest The_Oldie

The loss of £20 per week interest is a minor irritation. The triumphal crowing of the bulls is a little annoying, but hey, it would be boring here without their two pennyworth :lol: .

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest Riser
1. Rents are not rising

3. Property values are falling; when (if) I buy back into property it will be much cheaper. If not I won't bother.

Also

3b when (if) you buy back into property you will be chain free so able to secure a bigger discount, and gazunder if you really want to play that game.

Edited by Riser

HOLA4421

well i am not a str but a renter all the same,i have just signed up with my landlord for 12 more months.rent last year for a four bedroom detatched vicarage(bit old and tatty round a few edges)£725 per month,new agreement negotiated£700 per month,where is the increase on my rent,oh there isnt one,a reduction instead because the landlord has a modicum of common sense and knows how many rental props are available in my area this scenario i am sure is being played out all over the country,raise the rents,not in the real world....... :D:D:D

HOLA4422

With a stagnant market, there are advantages to both holding

on to BTLs and also to staying as an STR and also to renting as

a potential FTB.

The arguments can sway back and forth.

But if the market is really falling, and falling badly, then STRs

are gaining.

Roll on August 8th and those Land Registry figures.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

well its only a midget of a rise, but still. it goes to show you the backwards thinking of the government. when not reducing lending costs and pushing the housing market. im being hammered by property programs daytime AND evening.

is this the ONLY topic of our economy and country - houses ?

HOLA4425