House Price Crash Forum

Physics Research First In Line For Cuts

Saver

HOLA441

Britain's physics community is reeling from a "disastrous" day of funding cuts that will force scientists to withdraw from major resarch facilities and see PhD studentships fall by a quarter.

Space missions and projects across astronomy, nuclear and particle physics are being cancelled to save at least £115m, the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) said today.

Fellowships and student grants for PhD projects will be cut by 25% from next year. The announcement has appalled senior physicists who warn the cuts threaten Britain's future as a leading player in science......

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/2009/dec/16/science-funding-cuts-stfc-physics-studentships

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Er.... what about Blair's 'Knowledge based economy?

Didn't you hear - they have gone from giving huge US IT consultancies billions in order to make vast profits whilst outsourcing most of the work to cheaper India... to cancelling IT projects across the board.

For some reason Brown and Darling seem to think that you can operate a modern economy without any IT! Hence we no longer need any skilled engineers, techies or such-like.

HOLA447

Ironic really- maybe if more of these 'rocket scientists' had spent their time building rockets instead of constructing fancy financial weapons of mass destruction they might have kept their funding.

It's the ones who did as you suggest who are losing their funding, they'd probably have had better personal outcomes designing FWMDs :(

HOLA448
HOLA449

I never understood why we paid open uni lecturers with bushy beards in wolly jumpers hundreds of millions to smash probes into Mars called lander such and such.

I think there probably thousands of everyday inventions that we take for granted that are derived from NASA research.

Even the world wide web web was 'invented' by physicists at CERN who seemingly waste billions smashing atoms together.

HOLA4410

Britain's physics community is reeling from a "disastrous" day of funding cuts that will force scientists to withdraw from major resarch facilities and see PhD studentships fall by a quarter.

Science? There's no future in that. Our 'knowledge' based economy is based on high finance, knowing how to flip houses, and having just enough skills to work in a call centre (or local govt office). <_<

QB

HOLA4411

Science? There's no future in that. Our 'knowledge' based economy is based on high finance, knowing how to flip houses, and having just enough skills to work in a call centre (or local govt office). <_<

QB

There's an indelible streak of anti-intellectualism in this country that's always sickened me; of all the budgets to be slashed so mercilessly....

"Nuclear physics is facing a 52% cut in funding that will force British scientists to withdraw from international projects and cancel seven that were planned for the future."

Glad our booming oil economy is there to take up that slack then....

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

That'll free up more money for Housing Benefit to support landlords <_<

Done as a reply as the "Use Full Editor" button never works.

For example:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2751333/Former-asylum-seeker-lives-in-luxurious-home-paid-for-by-housing-benefit.html

£83k a year. Ignore that it is an asylum seeker (for now); £83k a year. £115m pays for less than 1,400 of such rents. Money is being burnt.

HOLA4415

I never understood why we paid open uni lecturers with bushy beards in wolly jumpers hundreds of millions to smash probes into Mars called lander such and such.

So that they could say "The Beagle has landed". But it disappeared.

HOLA4416

The memetic legacy of cancers like Allsopp.

A boy and his grandfather were walking through a forest one evening when they came across two giant wolves fighting it out to the death.

The grandfather said to the child "Look, that wolf is the embodiment of ignorance, vanity, greed and mean-spiritedness, the other wolf is the embodiment of wisdom, modesty, altruism and kindness."

"But, grandpa", the boy said, "which one will win?"

"The one you feed." the grandfather replied.

Edited by Dave Spart

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Surprising to see that none of you realized that this massive cut is just one of the first concrete examples of the pound having decayed 30% in value in the last year.

The contribution to European Science facilities are to be payed in Euro's, so suddenly there is a massive funding gap that somehow has to be filled. Which in this case is done by pulling out of project leading to wasted investments in both people and infrastructure. It is particular scary that they also have decided to cut number of PhD-students + fellows by 25%. So when the UK would get out of recession in 5 years you would have a shortage of highly qualified people. Insane! So much for making science the cornerstone for future improvement

And just to remind one-self on the worth of Browns' promises: In February, Gordon Brown delivered his first speech on science in Oxford and stated: "The downturn is no time to slow down our investment in science but to build more vigorously for the future." (from http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/2009/dec/16/science-funding-cuts-stfc-physics-studentships) and these massive cuts have not even into account the 600 million cut on universities/science in the pre-budget report.

Similar things will happen btw with other European expenses that have to be payed in Euro's, although news-papers like to report this as the fault of Europe. The increase itself is simply the result of the incompetence of the UK-government.

Edited by moesasji

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Good. The sooner the government stops spunking my money away on scientific vanity projects the better.

The LHC is the last great hurrah for ginormous, wasteful and utterly useless physics projects.

If learning about the fundamental structure of our universe is something you find offensive then I guess

you should stay back there in the Dark Ages.

HOLA4422

Good. The sooner the government stops spunking my money away on scientific vanity projects the better.

The LHC is the last great hurrah for ginormous, wasteful and utterly useless physics projects.

It was research in physics that gave goose-stepping morons like you a platform from which to spout your invective to the world.

"I mourn not the little acorns they stole from me, but the mighty oaks they stole from themselves."

Edited by Dave Spart

HOLA4423

pretty ironic you posted that comment on the World Wide Web....

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

£115 million represents four months' spend on management consultants in the NHS alone for 2008.

I really don't understand the priorities in this place.

Still, I suppose when it's management consultants who are more than likely being paid to identify the areas to cut, they're hardly likely to suggest themselves.