House Price Crash Forum

2 Of 3 Of The Houses In My Street Have Now Sold, Same Agent

HOLA441

but i am amazed that even these 2 have sold, although it is the same agent that seems to sell everything in the town, a national chain that rhymes with a word for flatulence which i think is a more appropriate name for an agent quite frankly

be interesting if these are real sales or just sale agreeds which mean diddly

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

but i am amazed that even these 2 have sold, although it is the same agent that seems to sell everything in the town, a national chain that rhymes with a word for flatulence which i think is a more appropriate name for an agent quite frankly

Sales are good if the price is down. Prices don't fall when nothing is selling.

HOLA443

Sales are good if the price is down. Prices don't fall when nothing is selling.

from what i saw of the asking prices they are ridiculously high for crap terraced homes, but what makes me particularly curious is why only one agent seems to be selling in volume. what are they good at? convincing buyers to pay more or convincing vendors to take less or do they just have some sort of midas touch with marketing? i wonder which it is.

HOLA444

Convincing vendors to take less, I'd say

We tried to buy a house through them and the vendors refused the offer. The EA tried very hard to convince them and when they still refused the EA told them that they were not serious sellers and took them off their books. They'd already got them to drop the price from insane to silly to almost-there.

The house is now on with another agent who just gives he usual "Full asking price only, it's very good value" crap.

HOLA445

We tried to buy a house through them and the vendors refused the offer. The EA tried very hard to convince them and when they still refused the EA told them that they were not serious sellers and took them off their books. They'd already got them to drop the price from insane to silly to almost-there.

The house is now on with another agent who just gives he usual "Full asking price only, it's very good value" crap.

well you'd think EAs would always have the sense to remind the vendors to take realistic values because no sale then no commission at all, the difference being just a hundred or so the agent between a silly price + towards reality. however many agents being so desperate to retain house vendors never try to talk the vendor to reality because sometimes a mug comes along + pays the stupid price

HOLA446

We tried to buy a house through them and the vendors refused the offer. The EA tried very hard to convince them and when they still refused the EA told them that they were not serious sellers and took them off their books. They'd already got them to drop the price from insane to silly to almost-there...

to be fair though i'd imagine that the EA was the person who gave the [i won't use the term 'vendor'] wannabe vendors the high initial asking price in the first place?

HOLA447

Have they exchanged?

HOLA448

to be fair though i'd imagine that the EA was the person who gave the [i won't use the term 'vendor'] wannabe vendors the high initial asking price in the first place?

No, they inherited the vendors and their silly price; they'd been on with 2 or 3 other agents and I suspect parted company when the agents told them they were being unrealistic.

Now with their 4th or 5th agent. Not many left...

HOLA449

from what i saw of the asking prices they are ridiculously high for crap terraced homes, but what makes me particularly curious is why only one agent seems to be selling in volume. what are they good at? convincing buyers to pay more or convincing vendors to take less or do they just have some sort of midas touch with marketing? i wonder which it is.

I am finding something similar. Actually only 1 agent seems to be getting new properties (and selling a good few) round mine. In my opinion the prices are way too high but people are buying - still too many people with more money than sense.

I think they must be suggesting asking prices on the high side which vendors prefer. In my opinion they are not too high on morals from my few dealings with them. I'll have to wait and see if selling prices are lower.

HOLA4410

I am finding something similar. Actually only 1 agent seems to be getting new properties (and selling a good few) round mine. In my opinion the prices are way too high but people are buying - still too many people with more money than sense.

I think they must be suggesting asking prices on the high side which vendors prefer. In my opinion they are not too high on morals from my few dealings with them. I'll have to wait and see if selling prices are lower.

i've been walking about a lot today as car was at mot, each agent i passed i looked in, i dont know if agents are hiring people to look like customers but each agent office had a young couple looking at sales particulars sitting down, :rolleyes: of course they could be crack up boomers, who knows

Edited by loginandtonic

HOLA4411

maybe they have "guaranteed" a mortgage for the buyers with their "In-House Independent FA".

HOLA4412

Hope springs eternal ... "have they exchanged?" ... I bet they got a lot less than asking" ... FACE IT. Gordon Brown, Mervyn King, Alistair Darling, the Banks, the Bail Outs, the borrowing from the future, the QE, the shafting of savers. They've WON! Everything in my local area is SOLD! Sold I tell you! They are going through! The removals companies are in business again!

Edited by Let's get it right

HOLA4413

Hope springs eternal ... have they exchanged? ... I bet they got a lot less than asking ...

FACE IT. Gordon Brown, Mervy King, Alistair Darling, the Banks, the Bail Outs, the borrowing from the future, the QE, the shafting of savers

They've WON!

Everything in my local area is SOLD! Sold I tell you! They are going through! The removals companies are in business again!

rightmove check?

HOLA4414

rightmove check?

Man, I don't want to be rude ... what do I want to check on Rightmove for? I watch my local market all the time. I see the signs changing to SOLD, the cars changing on the drive, the SOLD signs disappearing - and NOT going back up again.

Sure, in 2008 the signs occasionally turned to SOLD and, more often than not, changed back again within a few weeks to For Sale.

Not any more. They go to SOLD and they stay that way.

I just give up. I can't maintain this blind faith and optimism any more.

They've won.

HOLA4415

I just give up. I can't maintain this blind faith and optimism any more.

They've won.

Human sentiment changes so much and so rapidly:

2007: Prices will never go down!

2008: Prices will go down for years!

2009: Prices will never go down!

Edited by scottbeard

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

We have, sadly, a booming market in our area - everything halfway decent is sold - especially the larger family house £500k+ . The volumes are very low, and I can't quite see how estate agents are managing since the high street is full of them. 1. house that sold in June09 for £452k went back on the market, with absolutely no work done to it for £499k. It was sold within a week. 2. We offered on a house 1% below asking and the sellers turned us down as they were holding out for an offer above asking, which they got this week! 3. House went under offer at full asking price on the same day. It is a seller's market in my area!

We moved counties and decided to rent for a little while we got to know the area and now we're regretting not buying earlier on this year as the housing market is in a frenzy state. We're having time a dreadful time with the landlord, who wants us to end the tenancy early so he can sell and it's costing a fortune each month to live in a freezing cold house (no insulation, drafty windows) so we just want to settle. It is so depressing

HOLA4418

We have, sadly, a booming market in our area - everything halfway decent is sold - especially the larger family house £500k+ . The volumes are very low, and I can't quite see how estate agents are managing since the high street is full of them. 1. house that sold in June09 for £452k went back on the market, with absolutely no work done to it for £499k. It was sold within a week. 2. We offered on a house 1% below asking and the sellers turned us down as they were holding out for an offer above asking, which they got this week! 3. House went under offer at full asking price on the same day. It is a seller's market in my area!

We moved counties and decided to rent for a little while we got to know the area and now we're regretting not buying earlier on this year as the housing market is in a frenzy state. We're having time a dreadful time with the landlord, who wants us to end the tenancy early so he can sell and it's costing a fortune each month to live in a freezing cold house (no insulation, drafty windows) so we just want to settle. It is so depressing

If I were you I would look at other areas...over priced for not that nice. ;)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I smell EA speak.

Why didn't they put it up for more?

No one goes, "oh look, its on for XXX, let's offer £50k more.

HOLA4421

If I were you I would look at other areas...over priced for not that nice. ;)

Just what we have started to do - look at other areas but it's not straightforward with school, work and my partner has a child from another relationship that we need to live reasonable close too. work colleague is also having similar problems in Herts so I think there is a big north/south divide going on.

HOLA4422

I smell EA speak.

Why didn't they put it up for more?

No one goes, "oh look, its on for XXX, let's offer £50k more.

I really wish it was..house went on the market but no interest for a few weeks so they lowered it by £50k, then they played 'the offers in excess off' game. EA was really frustrated that they were not taking sensible offers but it seems they have held out and managed to get an above asking price. It should have a small chain so I'll be checking what they actually got for it. I'm just sick of it all, I bought my last place years ago (17 years ago) when the market was normal and seeing this madness is shocking. Logic tells me it can't go on but I'm not sure anymore..

HOLA4423

I really wish it was..house went on the market but no interest for a few weeks so they lowered it by £50k, then they played 'the offers in excess off' game. EA was really frustrated that they were not taking sensible offers but it seems they have held out and managed to get an above asking price. It should have a small chain so I'll be checking what they actually got for it. I'm just sick of it all, I bought my last place years ago (17 years ago) when the market was normal and seeing this madness is shocking. Logic tells me it can't go on but I'm not sure anymore..

Ah, the OIEO trick.

Not really asking price then.... I like Cubitt & West's price range of £xxx - £sss around here. WTF is that about?

I'm in Surrey and and I don't see much moving at all where I am. It's all selling for 15%-20% under peak in the main.

The rest just sits on RM, unloved and ignored.

HOLA4424

Ah, the OIEO trick.

Not really asking price then.... I like Cubitt & West's price range of £xxx - £sss around here. WTF is that about?

I'm in Surrey and and I don't see much moving at all where I am. It's all selling for 15%-20% under peak in the main.

The rest just sits on RM, unloved and ignored.

Same in the areas of London I check. A few keenly priced ones sell. As do the really nice but expensive ones. The rest are overpriced, sellers are too stubborn to drop and are sitting unsold. 15-20% below asking is about right if I compare against 10% deposit with 6% mortgage rate vs. renting PCM.

HOLA4425

Well, assuming we're not looking at the world through our own particular rose-tinted spectacles, it would appear one person in Surrey sees a dead market, another sees what one would have to describe as a bit of a boom.

Likewise in London.

If there is one thing you can conclude it is that the housing market seems to be amazingly regional.

In my end of Berkshire it is all doom and gloom, house prices are rising and everything new on the market is selling, quickly. I'm going to a couple of auctions in December - it will be interesting to see how they go.

I went to one a few months after the Northern Rock debacle - when the credit crunch first kicked off - must have been 400 people in the room (I did a rough head count) - the auction was at a golf course - had to park half a mile away - they were giving people lifts on golf buggies.

We have to face it - there is a huge number of people who think the only thing to do in life is invest in property. It's a one way bet ... it's easy ... it's low risk ... blah blah.

It's never going to change. If the credit crunch hasn't changed it, nothing will.