House Price Crash Forum

Irish Unemployment Hits 440000

AvidFan

HOLA441
It only appears to be "surprisingly high" when compared to the UK...

a11aaabunemploymentbene.jpg

'Mythbusters 201: Are Social Welfare Rates in Ireland high compared to elsewhere?':

http://www.progressive-economy.ie/2009/07/...al-welfare.html

CC, what is the source of that chart ?

So I'm guessing the inaccurate Irish benefit levels were for couples with kids or something, rather than single people. What Daily Mail type nonsense! France is bloody generous isn't it. Very impressive. Wish benefits were higher over here - poverty benefits really are uncivilised.

Edited by gruffydd

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Aha - "Jobseeker's Benefit for a single person in Ireland is €197.80 per week, as of January 2008" - sorry I take it all back - the OECD figures are the misleading uns methinks.

The OECD figures shown in the table are for 2006 when the weekly rate of Unemployment Benefit for a single person in Ireland was €165.80.

Budget Pack 2006 -> 'Table: Social Welfare Payments -- Maximum Weekly Rates':

http://www.citizensinformationboard.ie/pub...social2006.html

Unemployment/Disability/Health & Safety/Injury Benefit

€165.80 x 52 weeks = €8,622 as shown in the table.

The current maximum rate of Jobseekers Benefit / Allowance for a single person is €204.30.

Edited by CrashConnoisseur

HOLA446

Just returned from a family wedding last weekend, first time back in 5 years.

Mood all changed, nearly all effected and everyone talking about it - many women are now main breadwinners, three day weeks, more job losses expected... Cars sold in Dublin down from 100,000 in 2000 to 20,000.

At the wedding, the number of guests much reduced - only a mere 180 - than if it had been 12 months before due to cancellations as people couldn't afford to go,

A government less popular than in UK - the Lisbon referendum next month looking very shaky.

HOLA447
HOLA448

The Job Seekers benefit is €204.00 p/w source: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/Jobseeker...t/Pages/jb.aspx (scroll to 'rates'). Some benefits also accrue for additional children.

In addition to this, every parent gets €166 p/m per child as non means tested child benefit.

You can also claim benefit for mortgage interest / rent relief - they will, in some cases, pay the entire element of your mortgage payment. Source: http://www.hse.ie/eng/find_a_service/Older..._Services_.html. There are also benefits for back school, fuel and even the TV licence.

As GP vists here cost €50 a pop, you can also claim for a Medical Card. This gives free public cover - the equivalent of the NHS.

No council tax in the ROI.

HOLA449
As GP vists here cost €50 a pop, you can also claim for a Medical Card. This gives free public cover - the equivalent of the NHS.

True, but I think you have to be on a pretty low income to qualify for a medical card. When my kids were young, the GP often used to refuse the payment. Even called to the house at three in the morning once (for my wife), and again wouldn't take any money.

HOLA4410
Is it 440,000 unemployed or 12% unemployed

because as the Rep. of Ireland's entire population is 4.15 million, 12% of the working population would be a lot less than 440,000

however if it was 440,000 I suggest you're looking at 20%

Usual slipshod journalism in any case

Bump!

Essentially this is about 20% of the Workforce, this clearly is unemployed / population which is crazy.

It makes predictions so hard when everything from Salaries to Working population is spun and confused by crap journalists.

HOLA4411
True, but I think you have to be on a pretty low income to qualify for a medical card. When my kids were young, the GP often used to refuse the payment. Even called to the house at three in the morning once (for my wife), and again wouldn't take any money.

You must PM me his number :rolleyes: - both my wife (log term illness) and myself (unemployed) currently on benefits, refused a medical card. Our GP has no issue taking €50 from us each time.

HOLA4412
You must PM me his number :rolleyes: - both my wife (log term illness) and myself (unemployed) currently on benefits, refused a medical card. Our GP has no issue taking €50 from us each time.

I tried to PM you, but got a message saying that was no such member. :blink: I didn't type your name, just clicked on it and then clicked send message. After writing the message, I got the error message. Maybe if you PM me, I could then reply?

HOLA4413