House Price Crash Forum

Remember The Canoe Man, John Darwin?

Kyoto

HOLA441

I've just been reading about the man who faked his own death a few years back, by pretending he'd drowned in a canoe. He has penned his story and it is being serialised in The Sun.

Apparently he did it due to the stress of his BTL empire going down due to voids and non payment of rent.

I bet that's given a few BTLs some ideas :lol:

HOLA442
Guest The Relaxation Suite
I've just been reading about the man who faked his own death a few years back, by pretending he'd drowned in a canoe. He has penned his story and it is being serialised in The Sun.

Apparently he did it due to the stress of his BTL empire going down due to voids and non payment of rent.

I bet that's given a few BTLs some ideas :lol:

You've got to hand it to Britain, haven't you? Any old run-of-the-mill criminal scumbag can make a mint out of his thieving thanks to the seriously moral-free red-tops.

HOLA443
HOLA444
Maybe I ought to start selling or making boats. It might become a flourishing industry during the next 6 years or so.

:D

I have alsways said, if your are going to do something naughty...do it for something really big.

So big that the SFO would prosecute, if they do they usually fail.

If you do go inside you want to go inside with some dignity and

When you come out your crime was so notorious you can sell your story

I often wondered if they should have done a deal with Aviva (Holding company of Norwich Union) whereby they sold their story helped in the filming of the tale...in return for paying back all that they stole from Aviva and then throw themselves on the mercy of the courts. The amount involved was not vast it was I remember about £250k

HOLA445
HOLA446

Yes...

what crazy about darwin is that he had lots of single unit flats and relatively low amounts of debt, so he was in a good situation, wasn't the total debt including his own property less than 200K. The Darwins had bought there BTLs in the trough with MEW, only the recent BTLs werent money making, and he had about 30 units to rent out, on paper they were worth quite a bit? The problem was the overspending to a massive degree, and wanting more and more money combined with constant bragging amount massive wealth and failing to meet there wealth standards. The guy had a 40k range rover on HP, and they spent money like it was going out of fashion... They burnt through the 250k insurance money in a couple of years, and sold off most of the property portfolio?

• 2 years later...
HOLA447

He's currently speaking on Radio Five Live with Victoria Derbyshire.

He said they were heavily in debt and had 14 properties at the time. He faked his own death in 2002 to claim insurance to pay off that debt.

2002. 14 properties. He'd be a multi-millionaire now with his fortune guaranteed by British tax payers. Gutted.

Still, with headlines like this at the time you can understand why they thought prices might fall.

BBC: Housing market - boom or bust? (January, 2001)

BBC: When will house prices start to fall? (August, 2001)

BBC: House prices fall as sales drop (February, 2002)

We all did... and so they should have.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

He's currently speaking on Radio Five Live with Victoria Derbyshire.

He said they were heavily in debt and had 14 properties at the time. He faked his own death in 2002 to claim insurance to pay off that debt.

2002. 14 properties. He'd be a multi-millionaire now with his fortune guaranteed by British tax payers. Gutted.

Still, with headlines like this at the time you can understand why they thought prices might fall.

BBC: Housing market - boom or bust? (January, 2001)

BBC: When will house prices start to fall? (August, 2001)

BBC: House prices fall as sales drop (February, 2002)

We all did... and so they should have.

Instead of faking his death with a canoe, he should have used a bear-trap.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Archived