House Price Crash Forum

A Store Of Value.

HOLA441
Gold is not the same. how many 'things' that are manufactured are made almost entirely from finite resources that are expensive to get out of the ground?

silver. meteorites from Mars. fossils.

If nobody wants your gold, it will have no value.

we are told from Birth that Gold is valuable....its a hard myth to break.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Gold has a use as a means of exchange, because of its properties of being transportable, finite, malleuble, relatively hard to fake etc.etc.

You can use other things if you want, like pieces of paper or shells, just like you can make a teapot out of chocolate if you want. But that teapot isn't going to work as well as one made out of ceramic. In the end if you want a teapot thats works best, you will need ceramic. Especially if you are serving tea for other people, few will want the hassle that comes with dealing with the chocolate teapot guy.

In the end ceramic displaces other materials for teapots, just like gold displaces all other materials for a means of exchange, and has done throughout history, despite what kings and emperors and states try.

Edited by Britney's Piers

HOLA444
because there aren't any other real alternatives at times like these.

I think we will get to a point very soon that this will become the only asset to hold because trust in everything will have evapourated after the next leg down......

edited - obviously silver, platinum, copper etc also..... but gold being the main physical pm that investors will want.

If it gets all apocalyptic and futuristic, will the supermarkets mark their prices up in units of gold?

HOLA445
If it gets all apocalyptic and futuristic, will the supermarkets mark their prices up in units of gold?

there will be no supermarkets...the mornings takings wont cover the afternoons restock.

HOLA446
depends how bad it gets

whisky

ciggies

bread

may do better

agreed, for bartering, but why hold 10,000 fags, when 2 gold coins buys you the fags......

I get your point & Injin's seperate point, meaning that it only has worth because human conditioning say's it has worth. Gold has practical properties also, but I agree that its value is mainly built on faith.

Edited by grumpy-old-man-returns

HOLA447
HOLA448
I thought the gold would fix all that, being, y'know, all consistent in storing value and such.....

you can eat gold. not sure an oz would make a filling meal, but your poo should be interesting....the ultimate recycle...

HOLA449

they do in zimbabwea.

btw, it won't be if, but when. Let's hope it doesn't happen eh ?

Look to the US by the end of the summer to see what we will be getting.

who had that youtube vid of some congressman trying to get senate to sanction the use of (or doubling of) military on the streets of the US ? lot's of classified during the clip ?? I only watched in yesterday (perhaps on GEI ?) but didn't save it.

HOLA4410
they do in zimbabwea.

btw, it won't be if, but when. Let's hope it doesn't happen eh ?

Look to the US by the end of the summer to see what we will be getting.

who had that youtube vid of some congressman trying to get senate to sanction the use of (or doubling of) military on the streets of the US ? lot's of classified during the clip ?? I only watched in yesterday (perhaps on GEI ?) but didn't save it.

it was a spoof vid

but riots are likely in the states

HOLA4411
agreed, for bartering, but why hold 10,000 fags, when 2 gold coins buys you the fags......

I get your point & Injin's seperate point, meaning that it only has worth because human conditioning say's it has worth. Gold has practical properties also, but I agree that its value is mainly built on faith.

some think Gold may be able to store energy

link

There is an energy force in the world—known to the Ancients—that has largely escaped the interest of the media, the global warming soothsayers and the oil companies seeking alternatives to Neanderthal fire—to fossil fuels. Why? There are allusions to this energy in the Chinese I-Ching, in the Hebrew Torah, in the Christian Bible, in the Hindu Sanskrit Ramayana and in the Muslim Holy Qur'an.

There are scientists, too, who today believe it was the key to building the Egyptian pyramids. Its force is strongest within the Earth's magnetic triangles.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

FWIW, the point I'm making lazily is that there'd be no way for gold to be a consistent store of value if/when it goes t/u. Who sets consistent prices.

I'd put my faith in stuff that is really actually useful on the whole, but don't argue that a bit of yellow stuff might come in useful.

Land, Food & Guns would be extra useful though.

HOLA4416
FWIW, the point I'm making lazily is that there'd be no way for gold to be a consistent store of value if/when it goes t/u. Who sets consistent prices.

I'd put my faith in stuff that is really actually useful on the whole, but don't argue that a bit of yellow stuff might come in useful.

Try the first video link in my signature.

HOLA4417

http://injinsalternativeuniverse.blogspot....d-is-money.html

Having said that, I do have some and I do have some other monetary metals. Why?

Because I don't see much of a free market in the near to medium future. I can easily see a post paper money collapse gold standard being introduced. (Bloody stupid because if gold standards worked we wouldn't be here in the first place, but that's people for you.)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Don't fancy taking my lump of gold to buy a gun to be honest. :lol:

HOLA4420
Average house price July 1992: £80,000

Gold in 1992 $350 (1.64 exchange rate) = £216

80,000/216 = 370 ounces

370 ounces of gold in 2009 ($940 or £590 per ounce) = £218,300

Average house price in 2009 £154,000

-

so even after a massive house price boom during the 90's gold is still worth more. fascinating

More than a store of value B)

When house prices are high, gold is low & when house prices are low gold is high B)

The trick is to jump out of one just as the boom in the other begins

Hence those who STR, in say 2004/5 buying gold at around £220 an ounce.

100 Ounces x £ 220.00 = £22,000

100 Ounces x £ 625.00 = £62,500

2013 ?

100 Ounces x 1400.00 ? = £140,000

Gold_GBP.png

HP_UK_in_gold_1973.PNG

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425