• Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest X-QUORK

I'm loathed to call any warfare great, but as battle scenes in films go, the opening 10 minutes of Saving Private Ryan is the most hard-hitting I can think of.

In terms of clashes between modern armies, D-Day 1944 was quite a big one.

HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest X-QUORK
Hastings. The end of boozy, democratic Saxon England and the arrival of a ruthless, self-selecting power clique. A thousand years on, we still have them.

Aah yes, the ruthless Barone Pierre de Mande et Sonne.

HOLA4410

Battle of Cannae, Hannibal's defeat of the Roman armies in 216 BC, could arguably be called 'great' (pace X-Quork) as it had not only one of the most horrendous body counts in a single days fighting but was also a staggering example of tactical genius against superior numbers. I find the written accounts terrifying enough, what it must have been like to be there...

Romans for breakfast

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
The Falklands? The 'rumble in the jungle'? Russell Hartley vs Grace Jones?

In the British Isles it may have been a battle hardly anyone has heard of - the Battle of Towton in 1461. AA Gill did an excellent article about it = Towton, the bloodbath that changed the course of our history.

"......on the site of the largest, longest, bloodiest and most murderous battle ever fought in Britain – Towton. Bloodiest not just by a few hundred, but by thousands. Its closest home-grown mortal rival is Marston Moor, fought 200 years later with a quarter of the casualties.

By all contemporary accounts, allowing for medieval exaggeration, on this one Sunday between 20,000 and 30,000 men died. Just so that you grasp the magnitude, that’s a more grievous massacre of British men than on the first day of the Somme.

Without machine guns or shells, young blokes hacked, bludgeoned and trampled, suffocated and drowned. An astonishing 1% of the English population died in this field. The equivalent today would be 600,000. "

The Germans, lost about 300,000 at Stalingrad I believe with the Sixth Army (although the Soviets lost more).

Also we shouldn't forget the Battle of Midway in 1942 - it could have gone either way and swung the fortunes of the Pacific war decisively in the US favour.

HOLA4415

It depends.If Hitler was genuinely serious as to his intentions had it gone the other way then I think the Battle of Britain is a possible candidate.I tend to think however if things had gone badly awry after the entry of the USA into the fray we would have seen the first use of the Atomic bomb on the european mainland.

HOLA4416
Guest theboltonfury
In the British Isles it may have been a battle hardly anyone has heard of - the Battle of Towton in 1461. AA Gill did an excellent article about it = Towton, the bloodbath that changed the course of our history.

"......on the site of the largest, longest, bloodiest and most murderous battle ever fought in Britain – Towton. Bloodiest not just by a few hundred, but by thousands. Its closest home-grown mortal rival is Marston Moor, fought 200 years later with a quarter of the casualties.

By all contemporary accounts, allowing for medieval exaggeration, on this one Sunday between 20,000 and 30,000 men died. Just so that you grasp the magnitude, that’s a more grievous massacre of British men than on the first day of the Somme.

Without machine guns or shells, young blokes hacked, bludgeoned and trampled, suffocated and drowned. An astonishing 1% of the English population died in this field. The equivalent today would be 600,000. "

The Germans, lost about 300,000 at Stalingrad I believe with the Sixth Army (although the Soviets lost more).

Also we shouldn't forget the Battle of Midway in 1942 - it could have gone either way and swung the fortunes of the Pacific war decisively in the US favour.

Why does Mr Gill inisist on the ridiculous AA Gill?

Sincerely

TB Fury

Digusted,

Tonbridge Wells

HOLA4417

1. Falaise.

The battles of WW1 were slaughters, not battles.

2. Those Welsh blokes in that sheep station in South Africa with that bloke who kept telling people to only blow the bl**dy doors off!

3. Did I mention the Falaise Gap?

The Battles for Normandy and Kursk were hugely important and significant. El Alamein stopped the Nazis getting to the Canal and to the oil - after El Alamein we never had a defeat, unless you count Market Garden and, um, the Ardennes.

Of course, the Battle of Britain meant that there was a Britain to fight on... I think, in WW2, Falaise is perhaps the least known, although probably now known to fans of Call of Duty 3, but hugely important battle.

Also, don't forget the bomber war - a 100,000 RAF aircrew lost their lives in the air war over Germany and its importance was huge.

On the other side of the World the battles at Coral Sea and Midway were hugely important.

If you wish to go back further in history then you have the likes of Waterloo, Blenheim and those are battles just involve the Brits. What about Napoleon kicking the arses of central Europe or the Russians kicking Napoleon's bottle.

What about Yom Kippur or the battle of Bibracte where Julius Caesar kicked the arses of the Celts - if the Celts had won then the hsitory of Europe and the Med, and indeed hence the World, would have been entirely different.

WW2 was about a fight between good and evil so the battles from WW2 are perhaps the most significant in history. In reality, it is impossible to highlight just one battle because several battles of importance were needed to defeat the nasty Axis.

Perhaps the most important battle therefore was the one going on in the hearts and minds of every Human Being who were opposed to and faced by tyranny?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
[stirring use of historical examples]

WW2 was about a fight between good and evil so the battles from WW2 are perhaps the most significant in history. In reality, it is impossible to highlight just one battle because several battles of importance were needed to defeat the nasty Axis.

Perhaps the most important battle therefore was the one going on in the hearts and minds of every Human Being who were opposed to and faced by tyranny?

Ooh, what a super post. Obama eat yer heart out.

HOLA4420
Guest anorthosite
Battle of Cannae, Hannibal's defeat of the Roman armies in 216 BC, could arguably be called 'great' (pace X-Quork) as it had not only one of the most horrendous body counts in a single days fighting but was also a staggering example of tactical genius against superior numbers. I find the written accounts terrifying enough, what it must have been like to be there...

Romans for breakfast

Seconded, one of the most influencial battles in history.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Guest Skinty

I know it happened a long time ago and not in Britain, but I'd like to nominate the attack on the rebel base on the planet Hoth by the Empire.

HOLA4424

Since no one has come up with it yet, which surprises me, the battle to crack the enigma codes in WWII. If we hadn't pulled that one off ....

I think it's the thinking bit that usually makes the difference.

If anyone agrees with me it might make that clever homo Alan Turing the world's greatest warrior.

If anyone doesn't, don't worry, the best warrior accolade remains with that little Greek gay, Alexander.

(And anyone can argue the toss on the Macedonia:Greek thing if they like but I can't be bothered with that one.)

HOLA4425

Archived