House Price Crash Forum

No Place Like Home?

HOLA441
Guest skullingtonjoe
Well, if you are ever in the market for a new gf I will be there?!

I would of course be only with you because of your house, but so long as we are honest from the start I am sure it will be fine. ;)

Nothing like honesty in a relationship. :lol:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
Guest Parry aka GOD
The British Media Ramp? You must be mistaken Sir!

I was watching the BBC help a rich City couple escape to the country.

Homes under the Hammer, is on later now as the target audience are not up by 11.

So all these property shows are still being made and broadcast in the UK?

HOLA443
So all these property shows are still being made and broadcast in the UK?

I'm not sure if the daytime stuff, is still being made. Some date back to 2006. They are shown in an endless loop to keep children entertained. In my day it was Captain Pugwash and Magic Roundabout!

HOLA444
Guest Parry aka GOD
I'm not sure if the daytime stuff, is still being made. Some date back to 2006. They are shown in an endless loop to keep children entertained. In my day it was Captain Pugwash and Magic Roundabout!

Got to be repeats surely?

Although, with bears turning bull (temporarily, following the bull trap) on this site, I can imagine the studios turning this stuff out full speed now.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

LOL!

This is priceless. Two tatood ******wits went to the canary Islands to open a British Restaurant catering to Brits on Holiday:

English Breakfat

Lasagne

Fish n Chips

Musy Peas..

Typical English food for Typical English People.

:D

This'll be great.

They've been there 6 years and can't speak Spanish!

Twats.

HOLA449

Just watching this at work.

They both sound like they're sharing the same brain cell.

And they're "restaurant" is my idea of hell. Brtitish food for ex-pats and tourists. Why someone would move abroad and then demand sausage, egg and chips is beyond me.

Yet another example of what's wrong with the British society. Anybody 40+ that has had anything to do with property appears to be sitting fairly pretty, while anyone under 30 is facing a life of slavery.

:angry: :angry:

HOLA4410
Why doesn't she get a job in Switzerland, and employ an illegal immigrant on the cheap to help at home?

That's what most Swiss and expats do.

Ah let me guess - Learn the language you idle ***, your kids will grow up multilingual and better educated, and you're forcing them back to the UK because you think "If only I had X I'd be happy".

Your home is destroyed, you did it when you left.

These people live quite close to where I do in Switzerland. Having kids that age makes it nearly impossible for her to get a job. Schools here do not run on a normal schedule. Both kids may attend the same school and have different starting, ending and lunch times every day of the week. Schools do not provide lunches, the children go home. Child care to take care of the kids during those hours when she is at work would probably cost as much if not more than a part time salary.

Also, they live out in the countryside, which does not make it easy for meeting new people, especially if you don't speak the local dialect. Swiss German is not standard German, and when you go to classes to learn German you don't learn what's spoken on the street. Swiss German is not a written language, so it is more something you're born with and learn as you grow up than something you study.

Integration in Switzerland is very, very difficult for outsiders. Even more so for English speaking foreigners, as they have the (dis)advantage of having many services in English (or at least websites in English), and a lot of people here will at least speak the basics.

Edited by Shell_

HOLA4411
Quick have a look! ITV1 now - for us jobless types.

It's a new property show about people that have estabilished themselves overseas moving bacck becuase of the "property slump".

It's basically a UK ramping show.

They are living in the Swiss Alps.

Husband wants to stay becuase the standard of living is higher, he earns a better wage, has a good job with a decent future behind it, and can't afford a house on one wage.

She, is bored of staying at home looking after the kids so wants to move back.

Hilarious.

Actually, they live far from the Alps.

HOLA4412
He should try opening a business in Zurich - there are quite a few `English pubs` there for the `homesick`(??!!!) expats. One puzzling thing- there`s an `English pie shop` in Zurich, but it`s never open. My friend reckons it`s a front for some kind of carousel fraud! :rolleyes:

Nah, the pie shop is open weekdays till 7, Saturdays till 4.

HOLA4413
These people live quite close to where I do in Switzerland. Having kids that age makes it nearly impossible for her to get a job. Schools here do not run on a normal schedule. Both kids may attend the same school and have different starting, ending and lunch times every day of the week. Schools do not provide lunches, the children go home. Child care to take care of the kids during those hours when she is at work would probably cost as much if not more than a part time salary.

Also, they live out in the countryside, which does not make it easy for meeting new people, especially if you don't speak the local dialect. Swiss German is not standard German, and when you go to classes to learn German you don't learn what's spoken on the street. Swiss German is not a written language, so it is more something you're born with and learn as you grow up than something you study.

Integration in Switzerland is very, very difficult for outsiders. Even more so for English speaking foreigners, as they have the (dis)advantage of having many services in English (or at least websites in English), and a lot of people here will at least speak the basics.

Yes, schooling in Germany works to a similar timetable, which was one of the reasons why I moved back to the UK when my son reached school age. And Swiss German is indeed another (spoken) language. After 10 years in Germany, I speak standard German well, but Swiss German is almost totally incomprehensible to me.

HOLA4414
Yes, schooling in Germany works to a similar timetable, which was one of the reasons why I moved back to the UK when my son reached school age. And Swiss German is indeed another (spoken) language. After 10 years in Germany, I speak standard German well, but Swiss German is almost totally incomprehensible to me.

Most of my coworkers that spoke German around me were from Germany, so I'm pretty good with my high German understanding. But even after nearly seven years here, I struggle with thicker Swiss German dialects.

HOLA4415
(...)

One puzzling thing- there`s an `English pie shop` in Zurich, but it`s never open. My friend reckons it`s a front for some kind of carousel fraud! :rolleyes:

Is there a barber shop above?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

That's interesting. However I am of the opinion that if you want kids, these are the sacrifices that you have to make. I'm sure that the UK youth would behave much better if they had role models or a perental presence at home at that age. I'm pretty certain that a stay at home parent (not necessarily the mum) is of benefit, and actually helps the society around you.

Whilst integration is dificult it's not impossible. My mum came here from Hungary being unable to speak a word of English, 3 years later she was doing great. It is a slow process, and difficult. I willl be going througha similar process soon in Poland.

So whilst the woman must be bored, there is no reason with alot of effort, it would be possible for her to learn Swiss German (I'm sure whilst she's bored at home, getting a converstional teacher with the money the husband is making is entirely possible).

Effort here is the key. It seems to me that these people want to move abroad making as little effort as possible.

Which is a bit silly really. If you're going to move abroad you're pretty much going to have to reside yourself to the fact that you will have to meld to fit in. Once you do this though, the benefits will be fabulous.

Kind of epitemises the "can't be bothered" "get rich quick" "I'll sit on my **** and do nothing whilest my house makes me rich" "kids, it's all about me me me" attitudes that have been encouraged in the past 20 years.

Edited by moshmonsta

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
They are English, all they need to do is shout and point, the locals will eventually get it. 'pendejo, si'.

When I went to Spain (the Basque) with my family, and a load of freinds (from all over the world) I *nearly* managed to convince my brother that to ask for a beer in Spanish you have to say "Uno beero Pedro!".

He repeated it, and I had him, until my idiot freind, not getting the joke set him right. :lol:

It was such an anticlimax wo something which could have been super-funny in the bar.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Definitely effort is key, and to stay learning high german is the first step. Most immigrants to Switzerland never really learn Swiss German to any fluent level. Most, like me, just understand a good chunk of it but don't speak it. Even Germans moving to Switzerland struggle with the dialect.

Integration, however, is difficult. The Swiss are wary of foreigners. And in the eyes of many, many Swiss, foreigners are someone who comes from the neighboring canton. My inlaws came here from the former Czechoslovakia in the 70s, and while my mother in law spoke very good high German and a bit of Swiss German and tried very hard to integrate, I could count the number of Swiss that weren't friends of my husband who came to her funeral on one hand. Friendships here are forged in kindergarten, and often people have a hard time breaking free of that. That's part of why the expat communities (of whatever original nationality) here become insular.

Imagine walking down the street and seeing this:

1339641587_43216466d1.jpg

That was a very popular advertisement for a political party not too long ago about foreigners.

Oh - Sicherheit Schaffen means Safety Sheep....

All of that being said, if you are able to crack the shell of a Swiss person, you'll find nobody more loyal. It just is difficult for most foreigners to be able to make that crack in the rather tough shell.

Sicherheit_Schaffen.jpg

post-21298-1249660816_thumb.jpg

post-21298-1249660954_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shell_

HOLA4422
No moneypit. Stone walled, built in 1762 with wine cellar, garden, orchard and attached barn.

Here dazio.JPG

Don't tempt me :lol:

Seriously mate, find an Italian girl, I met mine over a year ago, bought the old townhouse in the historic centre of a beautiful village within the Grand Sasso National Park, we are off there on Thurs to look round for a bigger house to move into in around 18 months, Ciao UK :P

HOLA4423
That's interesting. However I am of the opinion that if you want kids, these are the sacrifices that you have to make. I'm sure that the UK youth would behave much better if they had role models or a perental presence at home at that age. I'm pretty certain that a stay at home parent (not necessarily the mum) is of benefit, and actually helps the society around you.

Whilst integration is dificult it's not impossible. My mum came here from Hungary being unable to speak a word of English, 3 years later she was doing great. It is a slow process, and difficult. I willl be going througha similar process soon in Poland.

So whilst the woman must be bored, there is no reason with alot of effort, it would be possible for her to learn Swiss German (I'm sure whilst she's bored at home, getting a converstional teacher with the money the husband is making is entirely possible).

Effort here is the key. It seems to me that these people want to move abroad making as little effort as possible.

Which is a bit silly really. If you're going to move abroad you're pretty much going to have to reside yourself to the fact that you will have to meld to fit in. Once you do this though, the benefits will be fabulous.

Kind of epitemises the "can't be bothered" "get rich quick" "I'll sit on my **** and do nothing whilest my house makes me rich" "kids, it's all about me me me" attitudes that have been encouraged in the past 20 years.

Harsh but fair.

Mind you, Swiss German is a horrible dialect, imagine combining the worst aspects of Welsh and German. The swineflu will spread fast in Basel when it gets there....

School times are a nuisance though. You get the feeling that working Mums aren't encouraged much in Switzerland, they haven't had the vote that long, remember.

It's not impossible though, and if she wanted the best for her kids, she wouldn't be going back to the UK unless she can afford Millfield and the like.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
I seriously doubt that someone who thinks the "toon" is the centre of the universe will like it there after a week.

She is probably better off on Tyneside where she is from where her family is her friends job etc

Whats the point of trying to make somebody move to another country where you don't speak the language so you can't communicate with anyone and where you have nothing in common with anybody

The picture post-card Alpes might look nice but she will soon get sick of it people forget that many ex-pats do suffer from homesickness isolation etc

You can't just pop over at the weekend to visit your parents friends etc especially if there is a problem and you want to help them because you are to far away

There is an expression in France that says "you are only happy where you are born "

She will have more fun in the Bigg Market and Quayside than a village in the Alpes