House Price Crash Forum

Barbeque Summer...

HOLA441

Remember the BBC almost wetting themselves in Nu Labour excitement about the barbeque summer forecast and how (subliminally) it will make you want to buy a house (look into my eyes) so you can (repeat after me) have a barbeque. Not a 'camping' summer, or a 'seaside holiday' summer but the only word that makes you want to buy a house.

Well, it's been cancelled and exposed as the hoax it was. Now it's 'unsettled'.

A metaphor for the government's control of the BBC and the VI campaign perchance?

HOLA442

its funny what you say,i thought exactly the same thing this morning,told the wife and got ticked off for being a cyincal git!!!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!

My slightly different spin was that it was to make folk book UK holidays ,now most are comitted,they are free to report the truth,with mcstalin's consent,obviously !

I have become so cynical about any form of media,not longer read any newspaper and just flick through the bbc news on text for a laugh ,how did we end up here?

HOLA443

Don't think it was just about selling houses, it was to get people buying stuff generally. After all what can make you feel more optimistic and hopeful that a nice sunny day, a beer with friends and some grilled meat?

I pointed my view out to several people at the time and they sneered at my crazyiness.

I bought a new BBQ though!

:lol::lol::lol:

HOLA444
Don't think it was just about selling houses, it was to get people buying stuff generally. After all what can make you feel more optimistic and hopeful that a nice sunny day, a beer with friends and some grilled meat?

I pointed my view out to several people at the time and they sneered at my crazyiness.

I bought a new BBQ though!

:lol::lol::lol:

To paraphrase a post I made on the other BBQ summer thread - it seems like a perfect BBQ summer to me - everytime I get the BBQ out it rains - that is exactly how I remember my childhood. It makes me all misty eyed with nostalgia.

B)

HOLA445

God, I FKN HATE BARBEQUES!!

If there is one thing that epitomises the chavved up, MEW'd, HP boom, shallow 'Eng-err-lund' of the naughties it's sunburned, fat, Stella swilling knuckle draggers on their patios with there BMW X5 driving mates & Closer reading other halves, playing 'the bloke' in 'comedy' apron cooking Tesco burgers & sausages on a B&Q grill. Epitomised by the 'if Carlsberg did barbeques' & 'Branston Relish' adverts.

It sounds like a cliche, but I see them all the time round my way in East Herts, loading up their trolleys with 2 for 1 beer from Sainsburys & other associated excrement.

I wish a thorough dose of salmonella on the lot of them. Knuts...

<Rant over... :rolleyes: >

HOLA446

Perhaps the poor weather will have an impact on the housing market. Property has been on a downward slide since the summer of 2007 and since then we've had consistently disappointing summers. There are other factors (of course) but maybe it has an additionally negative impact on sentiment.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

If there is one thing that epitomises the chavved up, MEW'd, HP boom, shallow 'Eng-err-lund' of the naughties it's sunburned, fat, Stella swilling knuckle draggers on their patios with there BMW X5 driving mates & Closer reading other halves, playing 'the bloke' in 'comedy' apron cooking Tesco burgers & sausages on a B&Q grill. Epitomised by the 'if Carlsberg did barbeques' & 'Branston Relish' adverts.

It sounds like a cliche, but I see them all the time round my way in East Herts, loading up their trolleys with 2 for 1 beer from Sainsburys & other associated excrement.

Haha well said! Barbecues to me just reek of the 1980s Thatcherite/Aussie/US cultural invasion of the UK. Prior to that, if you ate outdoors it was a picnic, and that to me is still the best way to enjoy food outdoors. Picnics conjur up the total opposite to the image you describe. Morris Travellers, F&M hampers, Pimms and lemonade, sitting on a gingham tablecloth looking over rolling blue countryside. Not swilling lager and breathing in charcoal fumes with a view of a brick wall in Romford.

HOLA4411

round my way in East Herts,

Err mate, its the 'people' (do they qualify for the term?) not the Barbeques. You are living in the 2nd worst county after the one right door for bumping into RRSport/X5 uber tw@ts.

Basically moving 50+ miles in any direction from North to SW from where you are will sooth your soul.

Mind it might be worth leaving it 12 months so you can point and laugh as most of them go to financial hell.

(Actually they already have - they just haven't realised it yet).

HOLA4412

Well ranted. I have to agree that there is nothing worse to ruin a lovely summer day (the few that we do get) than having your garden and home (not to mention the children's lungs) filled with other people's disgusting smoke.

Why ruin good food by reducing it to carbon? If you feel the need to take lunch on your decking then why not prepare said food using a conventional oven (most homes have them) and then take it outside?

Edited by tallburt

HOLA4413
Haha well said! Barbecues to me just reek of the 1980s Thatcherite/Aussie/US cultural invasion of the UK. Prior to that, if you ate outdoors it was a picnic, and that to me is still the best way to enjoy food outdoors. Picnics conjur up the total opposite to the image you describe. Morris Travellers, F&M hampers, Pimms and lemonade, sitting on a gingham tablecloth looking over rolling blue countryside. Not swilling lager and breathing in charcoal fumes with a view of a brick wall in Romford.

'kin'ell - blame poor old Maggie for everything, why don't you?

Carbonised food leads to cancer apparently.

HOLA4414
I think I may be in the minority when I say I'm loving the cool nights. I can't stand going to bed when it's 25 degrees outside.

Agreed , i'm a half glass empty man so summer in my mind always finishes once Ascot and Wimbledon are out the way .

Roll on September the majority of the masses have had there yearly holiday , kids back to school , nights closing in , house prices then continue there downward trend ......... can't wait .......

HOLA4415

Sounds like you need to move :P

What you described sounds like hell, I also have a real hatred for that sort of person. Which is why I decided not to live near people like that! That way I can have a nice Barbeque...

:)

HOLA4416

Call me cynical, but by bigging up the prospects of a scorchio British summer, might that not tempt people to holiday at home, so that they don't notice just how weak the pound is abroad, and start to wonder why?

Reminds me of the Who's Won't Get Fooled Again (but we always do :huh: ).

Interesting that the bloke on GMTV this morning referred to the Euro being strong (as opposed to the pound being weak).

Still we should as a national discover what is on our doorstep - a pity it is such a rip off when we get there.

HOLA4417

Only a complete halfwit (paradox) would take any notice of any weather forecast other than the shipping forecast. They are not even capable of forecasting tomorrows weather let alone six months hence. Remember michael Fish on the 1987 great storm ? The Met Office is just another useless quango full of climate change nutters paid for by us. f you want an accurate forecast then speak to a local farmer rather than listen to some dumb eye candy on the telly

HOLA4418

<shakes fist>

Damn those working class oiks !!