House Price Crash Forum

The Home Show C4 8pm Tonight

HOLA441

Many good comments here.

This is the first time I've seen Gorgeous George (as I bet he likes to be called) totally fooking up a project, though I wouldn't be completely happy with anything he's done this series bearing in mind the money he has been spending.

Leaving that en-suite incomplete was simply a ruse for dramatic effect, as has been said the guy could easily have pulled £500 out of his back pocket to complete it.

He needs to get back to transforming places on a budget & stop swanning around in his tight white T-shirt.

HOLA442
HOLA443
What I found completely bonkers about the whole situaltion is firstly, why on earth did they buy a house which wasn't adequate for their needs in the first place. Or why didn't they give the girl one of the boys bigger rooms, and make the boys share the other big one and use the small bedroom as the boys dressing/storage/games room?..........................

I thought it was naughty of George to ask a couple to spend that much money on doing up a house.

All these do-up houses end up carbon copies of each other. Snazzy, contemporary, smart, soul-less and undoubtedly be completely outdated in a few years. How boring.

Agreed to both points. However, I don't think it's the 'done thing' for teenagers (or any kids for that matter) to share rooms these days

HOLA444
HOLA445

he kept saying "I just ran out of money!" "I just ran out of money!" "I just ran out of money!" "I just ran out of money!"

It's not what an architect could normally say to a client when they turn up to a supposed complete project and see some of it missing. In real life he'd probably be receiving a letter from a solicitor regarding plans, contracts and fees etc.

HOLA446
My neighbour converted his loft for £4k, mostly spent on steels and veluxes. How George managed to rack up £120k is beyond my imagination

£1500 per hour, 10 sound engineers, 1 union rep, 4 H&S, food van, hotels for all.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Unless I missed it, there were no dates on this show. Spending 123k (borrowed money?) just when the market was tanking must be galling. I can just picture the dad going off doing a Basil Fawlty fetal hop across the floor when he realised he'd got no en-suite for all that cash.

HOLA4412
Well the services were put in. So its just a cheap Wickes suite and fitting. Perhaps £500-600. However there was no storage in the bedroom, and once fitted wardrobes are in place thats going to affect the space and style of it.

I'd have been upset at the loss of a bedroom on the first floor. OK I know they have gained a bedroom in the attic but that open plan "office" on the landing just isn't going to get used.

Also I think one of the kids bedrooms got an ensuite. I don't quite understand why they didn't skimp on that instead.

I don't understand why they didn't just leave the downstairs ensuite unfinished as well. And to boot, the main bathroom didn't seem to have a shower from what I could tell (unless separate), which means the whole family will end up traipsing into that one ensuite every morning....

HOLA4413
All these do-up houses end up carbon copies of each other. Snazzy, contemporary, smart, soul-less and undoubtedly be completely outdated in a few years. How boring.

Yep - very true. On the other hand, I'm rather enjoying the BBC2 series Home For Life - people set their own budgets, make up a mood wall, the designers encourage and give them ideas and inspiration, and then generally leave them to get on with it - resulting in houses that are what the owners want, and so far, a long way from Magnolia walls and beige carpet.

I guess it's no surprise the latest resurgence in make your house liveable in progs on TV - it's this recession's equivalent of Changing Rooms, and other Laurence Llewllyn Bowen gems that I can't remember the names of now (Can't Paint Won't Paint?).

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I'm amazed the planners let him do that; maybe they were dazzled by his fabulous TV persona.

Its based on square footage as to whether planning for a loft conversion applies, so it might not have needed it.

However I'd have thought plans would have had to be submitted for building regulations.

The idea that the home owner lives in rented accomodation during the conversion and doesn't know whats going on, is stretching credibility a bit.

Edited by HostPaul TAFKA Rover2000