House Price Crash Forum
juvenal

The Home Show C4 8pm Tonight

Aficionados of the borrowing madness of the last decade may wish to give this one a look.

Radio Times:

'The Cooper family from Barnet have stretched themselves by buying a property beyond their means. Following a few DIY disasters, it is in desperate need of some care and attention. Emotions are frayed when they decide the best way out of this crisis is to hire architect George Clarke, who has a bold vision, using money they dont have.'

Hmmm. Getting into debt, and getting into more debt to 'solve' the problem....

Sounds familiar....

Let's hope architect George Clarke can find a way through all this...

Aficionados of the borrowing madness of the last decade may wish to give this one a look.

Radio Times:

'The Labour Party from Barnet have stretched themselves by buying a country beyond their means. Following a few DIY disasters, it is in desperate need of some care and attention. Emotions are frayed when they decide the best way out of this crisis is to hire architect Gordon Brown, who has a bold vision, using money they dont have.'

Hmmm. Getting into debt, and getting into more debt to 'solve' the problem....

Sounds familiar....

Let's hope architect GOrdon Brown can find a way through all this...

Fixed

I wonder if this is the one where the ungrateful ones don't like what George has done.

The programme is on a different level to the usual property dross.

Is it OK to declare that I quite like where George Clarke is at?

If you drove past that Barnet house you would never guess that two professionals had put up with that sort of squalor for three years.

Are people that incapable of a clean coat of paint throughout, or screwing a fireplace to a wall?

And then the bloke complains that installing a shower and toilet hasn't been completed!

Bought three years ago needing everything done. No cash to do it, and clearly not even the most basic DIY skills.

Helpless adult/children.

What happened to a bit of self-reliance?

What's going to happen to such people when the TSHTF?

Edited by juvenal

I wanted to get that fella and stick his head in the ensuite door, what a prat. Lived like a savage for three years, then moaned cos the ensuite hadnt been installed.

I must say i generally like what the chap does to these houses..

I wanted to get that fella and stick his head in the ensuite door, what a prat. Lived like a savage for three years, then moaned cos the ensuite hadnt been installed.

I must say i generally like what the chap does to these houses..

Did a nice job. However I dare say they will be back to living like savages again soon.

Who are these people that can produce a cheque for £120,000?

I missed the 1st half of this - going by comments on here, and the prog info, they're obviously struggling financially - the party at the end felt a bit fake and surreal - I know people doll themselves up when the TV cameras are on, but they were very much in their Sunday best, everyone had their flashy sunglasses on their head, sipping bubbly, and carrying on regardless.

They didn't even seem :(grateful - and going by the thanks list to product manufaturers at the end, they must have got at least a discount on some of the stuff - if not got some of it for free.

George made a mistake & tried to cover himself. Naughty.

That second staircase error should have been obvious but he forgot the roof shape when he was sketching it out.

As for throwing £123,000 at a boring semi - Is it my ****-eyed sense of value, or their desperate one? :blink:

Yes I thought the money thrown at it was tons. Surely the presenter 'Architect' could have made savings elsewhere to install a simple en-suite? Probably couldn't bring himself to go to B&Q.

I thought the smiles at the end when they were drinking champagne looked a bit forced. In a way, I can understand the chaps upset. He'd forked out over £120,000 and the house still wasn't finished! Was a bit strange how they said they would 'find' the money. What.....? Did they forget the spare £50,000 they had under the sofa or something?

I did think the stairs were the architects oversight.......he's human though so I guess it happens. Think he should have fessed up though as it was his mistake.

Yes he is hammy. And that whole thing when he says I'm not sure whether the cheque they give me will be enough is painful. Why can't he start with a buget and then make his changes fit in with this??? Or is that too normal and wouldn't make good TV.

Edited by pac-man

What I found completely bonkers about the whole situaltion is firstly, why on earth did they buy a house which wasn't adequate for their needs in the first place. Or why didn't they give the girl one of the boys bigger rooms, and make the boys share the other big one and use the small bedroom as the boys dressing/storage/games room?

Secondly if they were going to end up spending an extra £120k, why not just buy a much bigger finished house in the first place?

Lastly, in just a few years time all the kids are going to feck off anyway and leave the parents rattling around in their snazzy uber expensive house, unable to afford repairs and holidays, wondering was it all worth it.

I thought it was naughty of George to ask a couple to spend that much money on doing up a house.

All these do-up houses end up carbon copies of each other. Snazzy, contemporary, smart, soul-less and undoubtedly be completely outdated in a few years. How boring.

I thought the point was they were skint.

or is 120K available on the social these days? ( 0ne eighth of a million pounds)

Why is it that they were willing to hand over the £123k to a stranger who didn't

a ) commit to delivering anything to budget

b ) can decide what he is delivering at any point and not tell the client (so they find they're got 1 bedroom less than what they were expecting!)

c ) draw up any plans and think through issues like lower roof lines that will hinder access etc.

I do like the show but why these people didn't have the ruddy common sense to go see an Architect, get some plans drawn and then offer those plans out to tender and get it done how they want and to a budget they are happy with I'll never know. They put themselves in such a vulnerable position and all I can see them getting from the experience is that they may get some things a bit cheaper (but that's not for certain), they get to wash their hands of the project (not sure that's a good thing IMHO) and they get to appear on TV.

Oh and the missing en-suite; are Channel4 so hard strapped for cash that they couldn't afford to get a cheap suite from B&Q and fit that for them? It's the show's way of providing an emotional edge I guess but completely unnecessary and winds me up!

Rip-off the work could have been done for half the price.

Still whoever buys at auction off the Bank when these greedy fu*ckers get repoed will get a good deal providing they haven't slobbered over it too much.

It's wreckless of the resenter to try and goad so much money off the client when they clearly cannot afford it. I think it will all end in tears for Geordy boy when his dream homes hit the auctions and his former clients are lined up in the Sun - "George Clark forced me to spend money I didn't have".

I thought the point was they were skint.

or is 120K available on the social these days? ( 0ne eighth of a million pounds)

I think the point was that when they bought the house they were skint. Now they had the money to do some of the work they wanted to. At least that was my interpretation.

I think the point was that when they bought the house they were skint. Now they had the money to do some of the work they wanted to. At least that was my interpretation.

so they are not overstretched in any way whatsoever.

glad I missed it.

It does seem overkill spending £123K for effectively getting a loft conversion and them rearranging the original floorplan. The standard architect fees are usually between 10-15% the total build cost - so George could have charged up to £18K on this project. The people are also sent to a hotel for 1 month or so, which also depletes the budget.

Whilst I do feel that George does get good finished results, I personally would only instruct an architect to sort out the fabric of the building. This would leave me to choose the curtains, carpets and light fittings etc. After all, I would be living in it and would know exactly what I liked - the architect is only guessing on the tastes of the clients and charging 10-15% for the privilege of doing so. This is okay for the uber rich who don't have the time or inclination to pick furniture or paint colours, but I personally would prefer to buy furniture and pick the decor myself. I suppose this wouldn't make such good TV, as the whole point of this programme is to see the reactions on the people's faces when they see the finished article.

I don't think I would have been happy if I handed over £123K and didn't get an en-suite off the master bedroom! I would rather have had the en-suite and did away with one of the lounge fireplaces.

Did not see the programme, but have seen other ones. I personally think GC is very talented as are most architects, as they come up with a plan the layman cannot comprehend.

There are several ways of interpreting this.

a) The owners are just thick

b ) They don't care if they borrow tons of money they don't have. Unfortunately, that appears to be the approach of alot of folk these days

c) Why not get an architect to draw the plans and then a builder in to do the work

d) Choose the furnishings yourself with the help of an interior designer if you are really that deranged, you can't work out a sofa from an armchair.

e) They want to be on telly

f) C4 is only interested in making a programme. They would have had to sign a contract first and agree to what happens

g) GC is only interested in raising his profile

h) Maybe GC is too good for these lazy spongers

I remember the one where the couple had a pschedelic nightmare - bright yellow sofa, bright green tables, bright red walls. I definitely think someone there was having a laugh. Probably thought 'that'll teach em to be so greedy'.

What has happened to this series?

When it first started George seemed to be able work wonders with £20K, now the budgets are six-figure and the results don't seem much different.

If you drove past that Barnet house you would never guess that two professionals had put up with that sort of squalor for three years.

Are people that incapable of a clean coat of paint throughout, or screwing a fireplace to a wall?

And then the bloke complains that installing a shower and toilet hasn't been completed!

Bought three years ago needing everything done. No cash to do it, and clearly not even the most basic DIY skills.

Helpless adult/children.

What happened to a bit of self-reliance?

What's going to happen to such people when the TSHTF?

+1

It doesn't take much to admit you can't DIY and pay a tradesman FFS.

Part of the problem was all the clutter they littered the place with. It could have looked ten times better for a few skips/boot sales/charity shop runs and rearranging the furniture.

I reckon the house already looks a tip again despite all George's efforts.

However, I would have been cross at the unfinished en-suite in the loft conversion. Stumbling downstairs for a pee in the middle of the night without my contact lenses would be downright dangerous. I would have much rather he'd said he couldn't finish the new en-suite on the first floor or had to downgrade furnishings or kitchen worktop to put in a cheapo Wickes loo and handbasin.

It does seem overkill spending £123K for effectively getting a loft conversion and them rearranging the original floorplan. The standard architect fees are usually between 10-15% the total build cost - so George could have charged up to £18K on this project. The people are also sent to a hotel for 1 month or so, which also depletes the budget.

Whilst I do feel that George does get good finished results, I personally would only instruct an architect to sort out the fabric of the building. This would leave me to choose the curtains, carpets and light fittings etc. After all, I would be living in it and would know exactly what I liked - the architect is only guessing on the tastes of the clients and charging 10-15% for the privilege of doing so. This is okay for the uber rich who don't have the time or inclination to pick furniture or paint colours, but I personally would prefer to buy furniture and pick the decor myself. I suppose this wouldn't make such good TV, as the whole point of this programme is to see the reactions on the people's faces when they see the finished article.

I don't think I would have been happy if I handed over £123K and didn't get an en-suite off the master bedroom! I would rather have had the en-suite and did away with one of the lounge fireplaces.

I agree. We are no longer living in the days where you can rely on the house going up in value because you've spent loads of money on it. I think they should have gone on Property Ladder instead, pretend they are doing it up for a profit, and got some wise words from Beeny.

However, I would have been cross at the unfinished en-suite in the loft conversion. Stumbling downstairs for a pee in the middle of the night without my contact lenses would be downright dangerous. I would have much rather he'd said he couldn't finish the new en-suite on the first floor or had to downgrade furnishings or kitchen worktop to put in a cheapo Wickes loo and handbasin.

Well the services were put in. So its just a cheap Wickes suite and fitting. Perhaps £500-600. However there was no storage in the bedroom, and once fitted wardrobes are in place thats going to affect the space and style of it.

I'd have been upset at the loss of a bedroom on the first floor. OK I know they have gained a bedroom in the attic but that open plan "office" on the landing just isn't going to get used.

Also I think one of the kids bedrooms got an ensuite. I don't quite understand why they didn't skimp on that instead.

Well the services were put in. So its just a cheap Wickes suite and fitting. Perhaps £500-600. However there was no storage in the bedroom, and once fitted wardrobes are in place thats going to affect the space and style of it.

I'd have been upset at the loss of a bedroom on the first floor. OK I know they have gained a bedroom in the attic but that open plan "office" on the landing just isn't going to get used.

Also I think one of the kids bedrooms got an ensuite. I don't quite understand why they didn't skimp on that instead.

That was the point I was making about the first floor en-suite. The children have access to a loo in the main bathroom, it could have waited. Yes, I'd have rather had wardrobes (agree they would make the room look very different) rather than the decking for instance.

The 'priorities' seemed wrong on this one, quality of fittings seemed to take priority over functionality.

BTW we effectively had an 'office' like that in our last house and it did get used a lot, however we are pretty good at staying decluttered. Those two were going to have to totter down the stairs in the middle of the night to the loo, and by now will be breaking their necks over the cr@p they have left lying around in the 'office'.

Edited by mitchbux