House Price Crash Forum

The Canary Islands - Worst Casualty So Far?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Went to Fuerta Ventura once - most unfriendly holiday resort I've ever been to - incredibly arrogant locals.

No tears for them, then.

had some great holidays there.

building has come to a standstill, yet developers are still asking fortunes for what are, in effect, hotel rooms witha kitchen and no service.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Are you a surfer then? I didn't think there was much else to do there if you don't surf.

Except go to the nudist beach and snigger at the naked Germans.

All those. Mrs Loo just loves to sunbathe.

I like novels.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Are you a surfer then? I didn't think there was much else to do there if you don't surf.

Except go to the nudist beach and snigger at the naked Germans.

Tenerife has some of the most fantastic motorcycling I have ever experienced. Great weather, amazing scenery, little traffic, and spaghetti mountain roads with diminishing radius turns, wild mountain side roads, and an almost all 3rd gear rumble, just on and off on the front brakes. Fabulous. Oh, and all on good asphalt roads.

Just watch out for the Guarda kunts, they are corrupt as fvck.

Cruz_Grande_Vista.jpg

post-15349-1247831544_thumb.jpg

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Went to Fuerta Ventura once - most unfriendly holiday resort I've ever been to - incredibly arrogant locals.

No tears for them, then.

must of been you and your attitude because i spend the winter out there and have more Spanish friends than english..The people are great and some of the things they have done for me and my family have made me humble....its a great island and i can honestly say i have never ever seen anyone drunks as hell out there...no clubs and after 1am is a ghost town..

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8155494.stm

They are directly at the mercy of the airlines too - 99% of tourists arrive by plane.

Downturn costs the economy 1.5 billion Euros a year...

75% of their economy is tourism...

I was in the Canary Islands about 10 years ago and the unemployment rate was similiar.

At that time the rate was the worst in Spain.

This news isn't exactly new.

Edited by judas

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Had to add another vista, captured on one of my trips.

Taken from the 24 motorway, just beyond the observatory on the North side. You are 2.1 km above sea level from this vantage point.

Very nice cashinmattress. Lets hope Tenerife doesn't slip into the sea, causing a massive Tsunami.

HOLA4417
must of been you and your attitude because i spend the winter out there and have more Spanish friends than english..The people are great and some of the things they have done for me and my family have made me humble....its a great island and i can honestly say i have never ever seen anyone drunks as hell out there...no clubs and after 1am is a ghost town..

Have a go at my attitude again and I'll tw@t you.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I love the Canary Islands having visited them 8 times in all and I had considered making my home there, but there was one thing that was always on my mind, and that was being able to escape in a crisis. Great place to holiday, but not to

live. At least I'm on the mainland in Almería. I suppose the same would be true about the Balearics.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Tenerife has some of the most fantastic motorcycling I have ever experienced. Great weather, amazing scenery, little traffic, and spaghetti mountain roads with diminishing radius turns, wild mountain side roads, and an almost all 3rd gear rumble, just on and off on the front brakes. Fabulous. Oh, and all on good asphalt roads.

Just watch out for the Guarda kunts, they are corrupt as fvck.

Tenerife is amazing. You can experience Pretty much every climate zone in about a 45minute drive!

HOLA4424

Advice very much appreciated. I am very much thinking of buying a home in the Canary Islands rather than the UK now because of the year round climate and free (ish) health care system (I have had a lot of heart attacks, couple of strokes). I can not walk very far because of my heart it's just too knackered and painful let alone the stroke, I certainly can not walk up slopes let alone hills. I can't walk up more than a flight of stairs. I would be very grateful for advise on where to look at buying. I would like sea views but I take it that's not so hard to find, I'm not totally smitten with the thought of black sand, but I might get used to it. I would not enjoy being surrounded by people wearing 'kiss me quick hats' or really late night rowdy twats roaming about. I'm 51. I do need some good restaurants etc, I do not want to be too far away from some life.

For a start which Islands should I be looking at?

Where on the Island and why?

HOLA4425

I would recommend Fuerteventura

It's probably the quietest of the islands with few lager lout types.

Corralejo was a nice resort with golden sandy beaches.

I've just come back from Gran Canaria to grey rainy skies here!! Take me back please!!!!

Edited by ianb78