House Price Crash Forum

People With Houses Oppose New Homes

HOLA441
Eco town plan 'to be scaled down'

The government is expected to announce a scaled-down version of its grand plan to create up to 10 "eco towns".

Gordon Brown set out in 2007 to create hundreds of thousands of homes in "carbon neutral" communities as he campaigned to succeed Tony Blair.

But the zero-carbon developments - some earmarked on open countryside - have caused protests and a legal challenge.

The government is now likely to confirm a first wave of just three or four towns in areas with council support.

They are believed to include 4,000 homes on a disused airfield near Norwich and 5,000 at St Austell in Cornwall, as well as other sites in Oxfordshire and east Hampshire.

Construction would be under way by 2016, later than originally envisaged...

...Protesters claim some sites were picked where conventional developments had failed to get off the ground.

Opponents have included actress Judi Dench, author Jilly Cooper and former tennis star Tim Henman's father Tony Henman.

Source

Yet another Government U-turn.

Bowing to pressure from lobby groups yet ignoring the social blight caused by the lack of affordable housing.

The age of the protesters did not escape my notice either!

Also, we can expect to wait another SEVEN years before construction even starts – NINE years after the original proposals were made!

Typical Labour; set consistently low targets and then fail to meet them!

(Edited to add source)

Edited by muggle

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8152985.stm

They are Rackheath, Norfolk; north west Bicester, Oxfordshire; Whitehill Bordon, East Hants; and the China Clay Community near St Austell, Cornwall.

So are all these places going to be holiday home towns?

The proposals, which still need local planning approval, included 4,000 homes on the disused airfield at Rackheath, near Norwich, and 5,000 in the Cornwall town.

Construction would be under way by 2016, later than originally envisaged.

Edited by SarahBell

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Why build an 'Eco' town? What's wrong with a normal house? I seem to remember you couldn't park out front in these places and had to pay whenever you entered or left - that's a pretty big disincentive for anyone with a job to live there to start with.

If you're going to build new homes, at least make sure they're what people actually want. Look at all the flats no-one wants to live in - you would have thought planners would have learnt their lesson by now.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
What a shame.

We are supposedly something like the 5th richest nation on earth and we live in rabbit hutches that are often sub 70m2

+1 why do we not compulsory purchase Greenbelt land to build cheaper and larger housing. There is just so much land we could use to transform our lives!

HOLA4413

Why does everything in this country take so long? It’s pathetic.

My simple plan (I agree it's brutal and is a bulldozer but we have no choice) -

Get the dedicators in. Their only job is about setting up new homes and the feasibility of it ONLY.

1st week: Have meetings that will last a week (in consecutive days) which covers location (preferably green belt land for sale or a compulsory purchase of fallow land), planning, Risk Assessments, Jobs, Transport, Schools, recreational, Shops, Emergency Services etc...

2nd & 3rd week: Survey the planned locations for the suitability

4th week: Meeting with councils/planning committees of the locations concerned - force an approval from them.

5th 6th, 7th & 8th week: Bring in dedicated architectures, engineers, builders, planners etc - Get a plan on paper, blueprints, scaled down models etc. building which can be AFFORDABLE by FTB's AND NO STUPID RABBIT HUTCHES.

9th week: On the location put up a public "notice to serve" of intention to build an eco town 3 days before work starts.

9th and a half week: Start work, arrest protesters on grounds of terrorism and public disorders. and enact a "Domus difficultas" on them forcing them to take in not-for-profit tenants if they have rooms to spare as punishment.

Job done.

It's brutal but it needs to be done - there is no way round it.

Honestly we really do not need to spend a decade pushing paper around and having fuddy duddy, busy body committee people who try to justify their jobs (and their existence) fawning over mountains of paperwork having pointless and endless discussions whether a species of plant or newts will be effected by the build project. Inventing scenarios where what would happen if a bus shelter accidently insults a racial minority by the shape and design of it or whether Tiddles the cat could cross a road used only by cyclist safely - What's the point?

I'm living in la la land aren't I!!

HOLA4414

We've had the idea.

For the details - let's build streets of semis like they did in the 50s, with big gardens and drives. big rooms and only two storeys high.

GP for every 4000 people is it? dentist for every 10k?

Schools needed and lots of open spaces too.

(*the current plans say 40% but I dn't know if that includes gardens and roads)

HOLA4415
What a shame.

We are supposedly something like the 5th richest nation on earth and we live in rabbit hutches that are often sub 70m2

The reason that this happens is because we insist on having "gardens".

A far larger percentage of other countries population live in city center apartments than do in the UK.

tim

HOLA4416

The government,

Won't curb immigration,

Won't build more houses.

Getting private enterprise to build inner city tower blocks on Brownfield sites has been a master stroke. Look how successful they have been. I hear our builders build units with the least amount of space in the whole of Europe. This maximises the use of brownfield sites meaning we can do alot more of this.

You can also see other examples of how high house prices and private enterprise can benefit the housing market and therefore society in the number of spacious houses that are turned into x number of flats.

HOLA4417
+1 why do we not compulsory purchase Greenbelt land to build cheaper and larger housing. There is just so much land we could use to transform our lives!

Green - Belt

'Belt' meaning = "To Thrash"

'Below the Belt' = "Unfair"

Say no more!

HOLA4418

Get the dedicators in. Their only job is about setting up new homes and the feasibility of it ONLY.

1st week: Have meetings that will last a week (in consecutive days) which covers location (preferably green belt land for sale or a compulsory purchase of fallow land), planning, Risk Assessments, Jobs, Transport, Schools, recreational, Shops, Emergency Services etc...

2nd & 3rd week: Survey the planned locations for the suitability

4th week: Meeting with councils/planning committees of the locations concerned - force an approval from them.

5th 6th, 7th & 8th week: Bring in dedicated architectures, engineers, builders, planners etc - Get a plan on paper, blueprints, scaled down models etc. building which can be AFFORDABLE by FTB's AND NO STUPID RABBIT HUTCHES.

9th week: On the location put up a public "notice to serve" of intention to build an eco town 3 days before work starts.

9th and a half week: Start work, arrest protesters on grounds of terrorism and public disorders. and enact a "Domus difficultas" on them forcing them to take in not-for-profit tenants if they have rooms to spare as punishment.

Job done.

It's brutal but it needs to be done - there is no way round it.

Honestly we really do not need to spend a decade pushing paper around and having fuddy duddy, busy body committee people who try to justify their jobs (and their existence) fawning over mountains of paperwork having pointless and endless discussions whether a species of plant or newts will be effected by the build project. Inventing scenarios where what would happen if a bus shelter accidently insults a racial minority by the shape and design of it or whether Tiddles the cat could cross a road used only by cyclist safely - What's the point?

I'm living in la la land aren't I!!

Even easier >

Holland/Germany etc are far more 'advanced' and have working model towns that people seem to like living in.

Fook the British ****-up planners/architects (jobs for the boys)!

Use the Euro house/building and town planning which ALREADY WORKS!

Even cheaper to build because the layouts/planning/development etc has already been done, efficient house designs which people like living in and is shown to work.

There are loads of problems with damp/mould due to over insulation in new development housing > Euro's have already solved the problems with their house designs.

UK Govt should USE THEM - half the price, no Balls-ups!

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
The government,

Won't curb immigration,

Won't build more houses.

Getting private enterprise to build inner city tower blocks on Brownfield sites has been a master stroke.

Only because they insisted on building the wrong sort of apartments.

95% of the demand for "flats" is at the bottom of the market. Building thousands of 200K executive apartments in towns where 3 bed houses cost 150k was never going to work.

tim

HOLA4421

how about anyone who complains about new houses being built gets their house demolished and turned

into an apartment block

they then get to move in to their choice of apartment and still get to keep their view and other people

get to appreciate it too

HOLA4422

I spent a huge amount of money on a house with a lovely view. The view was factored into the price. I'll oppose any plan to build all over it.

And I think that once you have property you'll do the same.

I assume that none of you have any objections to loads of windfarms everywhere either?

HOLA4423
I spent a huge amount of money on a house with a lovely view. The view was factored into the price. I'll oppose any plan to build all over it.

I assume that none of you have any objections to loads of windfarms everywhere either?

no

i think you paid for the house, the "view" was an added free benefit that you may have mistakenly factored into the price

if there is a field at the bottom of your garden that is not owned by you, why should you have a say if there is a windfarm going to be built

your mistake by "buying" a view that was not yours to purchase in the first place

HOLA4424

Are you a middle aged NIMBY? That's the problem with people nowadays, everybody expects a lovely view outside their bedroom window, its crap, petty and a childish folly. And you probably rarely really look at "your lovely View" for a long time and you begin not to appreciate it over short period of time. If you want to see a lovely view get on your bike/walk and you will see one. And you don't necessarily have to see the same view all the time. We are never far away from the countryside and/or coast.

I think wind farms are a necessary evil to produce green power. To be honest I'd build them off shore might be beneficial in the long term.

Edit: Dodgy Spelling

Edited by SickofRenting

HOLA4425
no

i think you paid for the house, the "view" was an added free benefit that you may have mistakenly factored into the price

if there is a field at the bottom of your garden that is not owned by you, why should you have a say if there is a windfarm going to be built

your mistake by "buying" a view that was not yours to purchase in the first place

When you buy property you obviously check out the local planning stuff. I took trouble to ensure that the likiehood of our view being spoilt was nigh on impossible. You cannot just trample over legislation just to suit yourselves.

Perhaps you're not familiar with buying a house?