House Price Crash Forum

Another Little Anecdotal

Guest KingCharles1st

HOLA441
The Americans have big cars because anyone selling into the US would lose 75% of their customer base if they sold a normal size car because the driver (or someone in his family) would not be able to fit into it.

Purely a matter of ar5e size.

Thats actually the only reason they changed the New Mini - Americans found the seats were too small

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I've got a 10 year old Hyundai 4x4 I keep at our place out in Spain. I got it cos it seats 9 people, I need 4x4 to get up the hill when its wet (watch the neighbours with ordinary cars give up and park at the bottom til it dries off) and with only a 2.5 diesel engine its not too bad on fuel.

Paid £5K cash for it.

I wouldn't have one to drive around in London though - too big.

I find my donkey does the job very well. ;)

HOLA443
Guest KingCharles1st

Well thanks guys, this has gotta be an entry for "Threadjack of the Week," or "Missing the whole point of the original post" monthly prize

Keep up the good work :rolleyes:

HOLA444
Just totally unnecessary,a second set of drive chain and the weight and pointless whirring of cogs involved makes a huge difference to the rolling resistance.We regularly move vehicles around the forecourt by pushing them,simply because it's more trouble to start the engine and take more out of the battery.It's noticeable that you can't do it with a 4x4 the things just don't roll.My guess is that if you flicked a saloon car out of gear at 80mph it would roll a mile and a 4x4 would come to a halt in half that distance.Even a small one has a huge fuel useage compared to a car.

Quite so. At low speeds e.g. in town energy consumption is largely a function of a vehicles weight (being accelerated and stopped a lot). At high speeds e.g. on a motorway its predominantly a function of its cross sectional area and drag coefficient (punching a tunnel through the air takes a lot of energy). Big 4 x 4s lose out every which way. Knobbly tyres with high rolling resitance are fuel eaters at all speeds fairly uniformly.

HOLA445
School run yesterday- nice lady (who lives in mansion in one of Letchworth's most desired backwaters- ) comes over to me after parking her Merc R500 (the school is 4 minutes walk from her house) and says apologetically to me- "I'm sorry, my car is too fat."

"well it is quite big- but it's very nice"

"We want to change it- its costing us a fortune- but we can't get out of the contract..."

I think (as I posted earlier this week) that it is now the rich amongst us who are really getting worried. Their business may well not be able to pull in the trade of a few years ago, their savings aren't worth saving-

When this lot all goes- it's going to be like one of the Twin Towers going down

If you buy a 4x4 you must be prepared to pay the price to own it and to run it...they are big and ugly IMO and are not necessary in large towns and cites, hard to park and force other users off the road in narrow streets....they are not a status symbol but a high depreciation liability that is not exactly sort after as a second hand sale...sure times are a changing. ;)

HOLA446
Guest KingCharles1st
If you buy a 4x4 you must be prepared to pay the price to own it and to run it...they are big and ugly IMO and are not necessary in large towns and cites, hard to park and force other users off the road in narrow streets....they are not a status symbol but a high depreciation liability that is not exactly sort after as a second hand sale...sure times are a changing. ;)

Hmmm

Basically, she just sees it as a vehicle. But coming from a family/background that have obviously 'made it," the beast was purchased to lose profit, and hence not pay tax. People with money tend to have it for a reason, and they don't let it go lightly either, so they wlll have seen the value of this monster fall through the floor, at precisely the time when their own business/s are performing badly. Therefore they wish to get rid, but they cannot without incurring a large penalty from the contract.

Basically the "downturn" (cxxxlm- regd. trade mark) is now VERY REAL to people we thought were largely immune, and this is the thing that is really scaring me about which way things are going to go.

Rich posh people ARE having to downsize, and in lots of cases. How is this going to affect the overall value of property on the market- when this main support crumbles, is there is going to be a rush for the exit- or will there be some other effect?

HOLA447
Hmmm

Basically, she just sees it as a vehicle. But coming from a family/background that have obviously 'made it," the beast was purchased to lose profit, and hence not pay tax. People with money tend to have it for a reason, and they don't let it go lightly either, so they wlll have seen the value of this monster fall through the floor, at precisely the time when their own business/s are performing badly. Therefore they wish to get rid, but they cannot without incurring a large penalty from the contract.

Basically the "downturn" (cxxxlm- regd. trade mark) is now VERY REAL to people we thought were largely immune, and this is the thing that is really scaring me about which way things are going to go.

Rich posh people ARE having to downsize, and in lots of cases. How is this going to affect the overall value of property on the market- when this main support crumbles, is there is going to be a rush for the exit- or will there be some other effect?

Not everyone is suffering from this downturn, many are doing very well thank you...over the last few years money has been flashed about and wasted on a huge scale, reckless spending and wastage...the winners are those who have held back and preserved for the future...the losers would have spent as if there will be no tomorrow. ;)

HOLA448
Never seen the point of those big monsters. They always seem to be driven by silly yummy mummy types as well. Is it something to do with insecurity?

:angry:

I live near a 'Saint Cakes' style small prep school. All the mummies (sunglasses on head even in the winter, all with that fixed plastic surgery expression) have 4x4s to ferry their precious spawn the half mile or so to school.

The worst thing is they double park on a narrow road -- so they can stand blocking the pavement nattering for half an hour -- and it was only a matter of time before a kid was hit by a car. I'm 6'3" and I find it hard to cross safely when they are all out there. Fortunately the accident wasn't fatal, just some traumatic cuts and bruises. Typical kneejerk reaction from the council, huge speed bumps every 10 yards in the general area even though the driver's speed wasn't the issue.

Of course the mummies have 4x4s so it isn't a problem to them.

The injustice of it drives me mad. And hurts my faithful Ford Fiesta. :(

Edited by Cogs

HOLA449
Guest happy?
Not everyone is suffering from this downturn, many are doing very well thank you...over the last few years money has been flashed about and wasted on a huge scale, reckless spending and wastage...the winners are those who have held back and preserved for the future...the losers would have spent as if there will be no tomorrow. ;)

A truism. The profligate are fearful - they'll try to hide among the unfortunate.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
School run yesterday- nice lady (who lives in mansion in one of Letchworth's most desired backwaters- ) comes over to me after parking her Merc R500 (the school is 4 minutes walk from her house) and says apologetically to me- "I'm sorry, my car is too fat."

"well it is quite big- but it's very nice"

"We want to change it- its costing us a fortune- but we can't get out of the contract..."

I think (as I posted earlier this week) that it is now the rich amongst us who are really getting worried. Their business may well not be able to pull in the trade of a few years ago, their savings aren't worth saving-

When this lot all goes- it's going to be like one of the Twin Towers going down

Contracts will bring alot of people to thair knees imho; phone contracts, loan contracts, sky & internet etc, it sounds petty when you put it up againsed a mortgage or a new 4x4 but these little balls and chains will bankrupt thousands of lower end debt slaves.

I notice that when the mobile co' phones to offer a new phone and a new 18 month contract the only time you are not locked into a contract is the for the duration of the salesman's call. If you keep upgrading, your contract is efectively permanent. Most of us dont know if we will have a job in 6 months so be careful.

As Moses said "Let My People Go"

HOLA4412
Can certainly recall floods and snow within the last 12 months. Cotswolds though, Surrey is so nineties daahling.

When we had snow and floods in Herefordshire the schools were shut so there was no need for the school run 4x4. And that is in a rural area with no transport. Postman and milkman still delivered in a standard 2wd

I don't dispute 4x4 can do the job they were designed for better than a family car. I saw a farmer ploughing a field with a landrover near me. I presume his tractor was out of action. I wouldnt try that in a Zafira. Mind you I wouldn't try it in a £50k blingmobile either.

HOLA4413
No, I will buy a small 15 years old second handed Fiat or even better a scooter so in the case of an accident I am sure my off-springs will all die ...

What is wrong with an idea that I buy a bigger and stronger car to increase passive safety of my children???

Me and my wife are trying to be responsible drivers and we just want to increase the passive safety of our children. We do not drive to kill!

You are brainless and I claim my 5£!

I heard a woman explain why she'd bought her monster 4x4. "Well, I know that when I crash I'll be safe". Shame that you'll permanently squish anyone else you crash into.

I agree that we should all be safe, but if we all drive smaller, more fragile cars, then we'll drive more carefully and be far safer. If you think you're invincible you'lll drive like you are, and forget how fragile people are.

As an aside, I had a head on with a pedestrian at 50mph in my 12 year old held-together-with-gaffa-tape car. Her inuries were a cut to her head and a broken handbag mirror. My car was technically a write off. I'd far rather it were that way round than a small scatch to my car and a written off pedestrian. Much easier to sleep at night.

HOLA4414
Well thanks guys, this has gotta be an entry for "Threadjack of the Week," or "Missing the whole point of the original post" monthly prize

Keep up the good work :rolleyes:

Anything about cars will always get threadjacked by us petrol heads the property bit (bear or bull) is usually secondary to a petrol head - lets face it bricks, mortar and tiles are boring but a 58 Cadillac Bel air now you are talking :lol:

HOLA4415

Agree to a large degree but.....the wasters are often quite good at generating cash as well and not just mewing. There is a lot of truth in the saying penny wise - pound foolish

Edited by Greg Bowman

HOLA4416
Guest KingCharles1st
Anything about cars will always get threadjacked by us petrol heads the property bit (bear or bull) is usually secondary to a petrol head - lets face it bricks, mortar and tiles are boring but a 58 Cadillac Bel air now you are talking :lol:

Funnily enough, a bloke half a mile from me had one of those recently.

He now appears to have a bright yellow high boy 1972 Mach1 Mustang with a blown engine that sticks out the bonnet.

If it's American, gotta be a Dodge Challenger for me- just adore the styling

HOLA4417
I heard a woman explain why she'd bought her monster 4x4. "Well, I know that when I crash I'll be safe". Shame that you'll permanently squish anyone else you crash into.

I agree that we should all be safe, but if we all drive smaller, more fragile cars, then we'll drive more carefully and be far safer. If you think you're invincible you'lll drive like you are, and forget how fragile people are.

As an aside, I had a head on with a pedestrian at 50mph in my 12 year old held-together-with-gaffa-tape car. Her inuries were a cut to her head and a broken handbag mirror. My car was technically a write off. I'd far rather it were that way round than a small scatch to my car and a written off pedestrian. Much easier to sleep at night.

This is quit silly thinking. If you drive like that you should return your driving license ... It would also mean that the most crazy drivers are the bus drivers ...

Personally for safety reason I will never let my kids drive motorbikes or small cars like e.g. Mini ... And lot of fathers I know have similar thinking ...

Related to the pedestrian x car: I have not read anywhere that for the same speed the bigger car will kill more than smaller car. Usually it depends on the speed, angle of the hit and shape of the bonnet. I am not sure if it is better to bounce off the bonnet or get absorbed in the small car engine deformation zones ...

----------------------------------------------------------------

What I am sure what kills is the speed and aggressive driving style. So if I want to ban somebody from the road it would be:

- drivers of the suspicious cars: Subaru and other tuned sports cars ...

- cars with the high engine power / weight ratio (e.g. 4x4 with 5l engine)

- male drivers

- very young and very old drivers

- aggressive drivers

I do not think that a big 4x4 with a female driver is anything to be afraid off ...

BTW I have not owned a 4x4 yet

Edited by damian frach

HOLA4418
Funnily enough, a bloke half a mile from me had one of those recently.

He now appears to have a bright yellow high boy 1972 Mach1 Mustang with a blown engine that sticks out the bonnet.

If it's American, gotta be a Dodge Challenger for me- just adore the styling

Nice Car the Dodge, I reckon we will see more of this as people stop playing the Porsche/Aston game and start turning up in some really classy metal, started happening in Miami and Clearwater about 15 years ago.

HOLA4419