House Price Crash Forum

Another Little Anecdotal

Guest KingCharles1st

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Noel.

I like your thinking, but they only go down to E220 don't they?

Mind you, how about a 6.2l with "Blue Efficiency" badges?

Shame the noise would give you away...

I think E200 kompressor may be the lowest, but as you say, the 4 pipes and sound of thunder may give the game away. I'm hoping the new E class will mean that the previous model will suffer with residuals.

What do you think anecdote means? Did you read the post? I even pointed out that I wasn’t referring to EVERYONE. How much clearer can I be without inviting you round to my house and explaining very slowly with pictures?

You cannot deny that there are very many people who have bought their car on credit, just because you and Noel haven’t doesn’t change the fact that banks are currently holding onto absolutely millions of car debt. Isn’t this why we got into the banking mess we are in? TOO MUCH CREDIT / debt?

By the way, I have never bought anything on credit – absolutely NOTHING – including my car but so what, its irrelevant when looking at the bigger picture.

Easy tiger I couldn't be arsed to read your post so just posted a sweeping generaliation.

Guest Skinty
otherwise all the pious small car drivers would ride motorbikes and scooters when not dragging the kids around.

Sounds a bit bitter of you ...

My partner and I drive a Nissan Micra. Absolutely ideal size and fuel economy. It 's never empty enough to warrant driving a motorbike or scooter because of what we use it for.

I can't for the life of me understand why a family of two parents and two children living in a typical town would need anything bigger. We bought it for the small country roads.

I wouldn't call myself pious, more smug than anything ;)

Guest Skinty
What is wrong with an idea that I buy a bigger and stronger car to increase passive safety of my children at the expensive of pedestrian's and other car driver's safety???

Me and my wife are trying to be responsible drivers and we just want to increase the passive safety of our children. We do not drive to kill! even though the increased sense of security makes us more careless drivers, not to mention the tendency of SUVs to roll

There, you missed out the bits in bold ...

If you do lots of miles and can afford it 4x4s are worth it for the extra comfort.

If people have bought them who can't afford it then the finance company will be having it back soon. Can't see what the big issue is.

The size/weight angle is meaningless plenty of vans/lorries around that'd do more damage.

If you do lots of miles and can afford it 4x4s are worth it for the extra comfort.

If people have bought them who can't afford it then the finance company will be having it back soon. Can't see what the big issue is.

The size/weight angle is meaningless plenty of vans/lorries around that'd do more damage.

Just totally unnecessary,a second set of drive chain and the weight and pointless whirring of cogs involved makes a huge difference to the rolling resistance.We regularly move vehicles around the forecourt by pushing them,simply because it's more trouble to start the engine and take more out of the battery.It's noticeable that you can't do it with a 4x4 the things just don't roll.My guess is that if you flicked a saloon car out of gear at 80mph it would roll a mile and a 4x4 would come to a halt in half that distance.Even a small one has a huge fuel useage compared to a car.

As regards comfort I would seriously question whether a 4x4 was more comfortable than,for example a Mercedes E class. And having stepped out of the wreckage of one of these unhurt after a van hit me head on I would argue that they are safer too.

Edited by profitofdoom
What do you think anecdote means? Did you read the post? I even pointed out that I wasn’t referring to EVERYONE. How much clearer can I be without inviting you round to my house and explaining very slowly with pictures?

You cannot deny that there are very many people who have bought their car on credit, just because you and Noel haven’t doesn’t change the fact that banks are currently holding onto absolutely millions of car debt. Isn’t this why we got into the banking mess we are in? TOO MUCH CREDIT / debt?

By the way, I have never bought anything on credit – absolutely NOTHING – including my car but so what, its irrelevant when looking at the bigger picture.

Anyone have any stats on how many cars are bought with MEW ? I walk around looking at all the new/expensive 2nd hand cars on the road and wonder (as I'm sure most of you do) how on earth did they pay for that. I thought that the average wage, even in London was certainly under £40k, so why do I see so many Aston Martins, Bentlys BMW X5s, Porsche Boxters etc etc

Guest anorthosite
Anyone have any stats on how many cars are bought with MEW ? I walk around looking at all the new/expensive 2nd hand cars on the road and wonder (as I'm sure most of you do) how on earth did they pay for that. I thought that the average wage, even in London was certainly under £40k, so why do I see so many Aston Martins, Bentlys BMW X5s, Porsche Boxters etc etc

Buy an Auto Trader. See what's over £10k but under 3 years old. That should give you some idea ;)

Extra comfort compared to what?

Any sort of saloon I've driven BMW 3/5 series, Saab etc

Just totally unnecessary,a second set of drive chain and the weight and pointless whirring of cogs involved makes a huge difference to the rolling resistance.We regularly move vehicles around the forecourt by pushing them,simply because it's more trouble to start the engine and take more out of the battery.It's noticeable that you can't do it with a 4x4 the things just don't roll.My guess is that if you flicked a saloon car out of gear at 80mph it would roll a mile and a 4x4 would come to a halt in half that distance.Even a small one has a huge fuel useage compared to a car.

As regards comfort I would seriously question whether a 4x4 was more comfortable than,for example a Mercedes E class. And having stepped out of the wreckage of one of these unhurt after a van hit me head on I would argue that they are safer too.

I wasn't really referring to the drivetrain side of things. I've just always had Range Rovers for the last 15+ yrs but didn't want to be crass. Still find them a massively more pleasant driving experience than any conventional shaped saloon I've driven plus always incredible in floods/adverse conditions. Ironically, very good for huge motorway miles.

Sounds a bit bitter of you ...

My partner and I drive a Nissan Micra. Absolutely ideal size and fuel economy. It 's never empty enough to warrant driving a motorbike or scooter because of what we use it for.

I can't for the life of me understand why a family of two parents and two children living in a typical town would need anything bigger. We bought it for the small country roads.

I wouldn't call myself pious, more smug than anything ;)

Not bitter honest, love petrol things 4x4's, motorbikes, small cars, big ones, outboard motors........, I flick from smug to arrogant Fiat 500/Merc ML switch, the Triumph Sprint ST has me feeling both ! ;)

Were you driving a 12 year old car held together with duct tape?

I use to drive such a car in London and everyone gave me a really wide berth. When I got a newish one it was crashed into twice in the 1st month I had it because other drivers assumed I would give way.

Yeah - I miss my 15 year old volvo. That was easy to drive in london. Now I have a 5 yr old E class which is still a bit shiny, I find people don't give way so easily - except for some reason other mercedes drivers, and bizarely enough both bmw and bus drivers.

Oh - and the wing mirrors cost nearly 500 quid to replace :@ which focusses the mind a bit.

You need to take into account that a lot of safety features on roads are designed to keep normal sized cars on the road, and on motorways, on their side of the road, if they lose control. Kerbs, armco barriers, bridge parrapets, are less and less useful the larger the vehicle. If you are driving an SUV and go off the road, then that's your look out.

I do object to larger vehicles speeding down the motorways. The amount of destructive energy they carry is phenominal.

Yep ban all them lorries as well the roads just cant cope with anything bigger than a "normal car"

A couple of thoughts:

- I wonder how many people are stuck on expensive (in a monthly overhead sense) 3 year lease deals and regretting it

- With the amount of traffic humps appearing these days it's almost legitimate to buy an SUV (I haven't, but it's tiresome having your car bashed around)

Yeah - I miss my 15 year old volvo. That was easy to drive in london. Now I have a 5 yr old E class which is still a bit shiny, I find people don't give way so easily - except for some reason other mercedes drivers, and bizarely enough both bmw and bus drivers.

Oh - and the wing mirrors cost nearly 500 quid to replace :@ which focusses the mind a bit.

That's cos it's beamers for boys and mercs for men.

merc pwns all other makes in sheepleland.

TFH

Any sort of saloon I've driven BMW 3/5 series, Saab etc

I wasn't really referring to the drivetrain side of things. I've just always had Range Rovers for the last 15+ yrs but didn't want to be crass. Still find them a massively more pleasant driving experience than any conventional shaped saloon I've driven plus always incredible in floods/adverse conditions. Ironically, very good for huge motorway miles.

Yeah you must come across a lot of this on the school run in Surrey.

I've got a 10 year old Hyundai 4x4 I keep at our place out in Spain. I got it cos it seats 9 people, I need 4x4 to get up the hill when its wet (watch the neighbours with ordinary cars give up and park at the bottom til it dries off) and with only a 2.5 diesel engine its not too bad on fuel.

Paid £5K cash for it.

I wouldn't have one to drive around in London though - too big.

Or he'd just taken a call from the bank...

drivers of those type of cars are always on the phone; cause they're important. Init

You do see quite a lot of women driving them whilst talking on the phone, can only assume pairing their phone with the hands free is beyond them.