House Price Crash Forum

One Of The Best Ever Top Gear Editions Just Aired Bbc2

HOLA441

...got to say, that was the best one i recall seeing in years.

Not only was the filming of the desert airstrip rally driver some of the best photography i can ever recall on tv, but the show also had some interesting messages including

- telling gordon brown to stop nannying the country

- driving outside the Houses of Parliament with banners and loud halers

- alluding to the freedoms we enjoy being eroded

- funny stuff with the cheap cars and the dogs

- comic michael mcintyre very nearly rolling it big time on his lap

genuinely one of the best ever

HOLA442
Not only was the filming of the desert airstrip rally driver some of the best photography i can ever recall on tv,

Amazing, I think Clarkson owns the production company because they do some of his straight to DVD stuff as well

and other programs had the same camera style he was invovled in.

They thought about HD but I'm glad they dropped it and stayed with quality instead of rez.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Amazing, I think Clarkson owns the production company because they do some of his straight to DVD stuff as well

and other programs had the same camera style he was invovled in.

It is a BBC "In house" production and therefore there is no production company involved. However I am sure that Clarkson uses many of the production and staff from the series on a freelance basis when making his DVDs. He also almost certainly uses the same post production company to do the finishing.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
This makes me cross. It smacks of restrictive practice. Especially as Clarkson already makes a rumoured £50k per episode for Top Gear.

I think your point still stands, it's not UK based but forming a company (now there is TG Australia, Russia etc) and trying to exploit the commercial benefits of BBC worldwide. It does seem to be BBC team who do the top quality work.

Although it is odd Clarkson seems to have kept the best of any team that worked on the "new" top Gear, considering it should be out of his control.

HOLA4410

All the best Top Gear programmes were made before Jeremy Clarkson was on it, in the days of William Woolard etc.

It is now a presenter-based sort of petrolheads' version of 'Last of the Summer Wine', with cars as props. I'll concede that the camerawork is good, though.

If I want to watch a programme about cars, I want to see the cars, not the in-ya-face presenters oozing 'attitude' - unless it's Vicky Butler-Henderson, of course!

"If this motoring programme was a sitcom, it'd be Last of the Summer Wine" :lol:

HOLA4411
All the best Top Gear programmes were made before Jeremy Clarkson was on it, in the days of William Woolard etc.

It is now a presenter-based sort of petrolheads' version of 'Last of the Summer Wine', with cars as props. I'll concede that the camerawork is good, though.

If I want to watch a programme about cars, I want to see the cars, not the in-ya-face presenters oozing 'attitude' - unless it's Vicky Butler-Henderson, of course!

"If this motoring programme was a sitcom, it'd be Last of the Summer Wine" :lol:

Last of the summer wine is the worlds longest running sitcom.

HOLA4412

Great programme these days, it's all about the presentation. Clarkson's use of metaphor and simile is superb; read his column more slowly and you will see this. He's no PG Wodehouse but he's good and I have read that he's always noting these down for future use.

Fifth Gear used to be jammed with the same dullards who killed off the previous incarnation of Top Gear and it was pretty much unwatchable a couple of years ago. The producers seem to have realised this and have brought in Tom Ford & Jonny Smith to liven it up.

I'd like a few more old car challenges on it and less supercars / celebs but it's easily the best thing on most weeks anyway.

It's entertainment with cars rather than a car programme. Nearest parallels would be Fantasy Football (entertainment with football) and Never Mind the Buzzcocks (entertainment with pop music).

HOLA4413

I like almost all eras

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7M51p3GgBI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSvvInSdTOY

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
I'm missing your point!

But am I the only one to find Michael Macintyre missing a certain something? I find his weak jokes totally unfunny and rather poor fooling.He doesn't have a "funny" personality either. Don't read this as that I am a Bernard Manning fan but this bloke is not even on the scale compared to,for example Peter Kay.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
It is a BBC "In house" production and therefore there is no production company involved. However I am sure that Clarkson uses many of the production and staff from the series on a freelance basis when making his DVDs. He also almost certainly uses the same post production company to do the finishing.

Its noticeable how much Clarkson is in control and how the show is designed to make him look good and eveyone else crap. Look at how much time is spent with supercars, lavish locations and celebrities. Look how often Clarkson "wins" the contests relative to the others is another dead giveaway. Look at how much abuse he dishes out to the other two presenters.

That fact the crowd are lead like sheep, pretty females from the crowd are put in shot and the show engages in bouts of destructiveness indicate what kind of viewer the show is being aimed at. When Clarkson attacked the Cool Wall with a chainsaw that was way beyond a joke.

Also take the Stig character. I always felt there was something weird about the whole concept until I realised the show's real driving talent was deliberately being kept anonymous to stop him stealing Clarkson's glory. Quite revealingly James May did an article with Jackie Stewart a few series back and The former F1 champion made his low opinion of Clarkson clear then.

I agree its one of the best shows on the box but given the general poverty of the schedules these days its not that hard to look good anyway.

Clarkson can be very entertaining - his reviews in 'Old Top Gear' were hilarious - but recently he's been out of control. Having said that Tim Shaw who presents Channel 5's Fifth Gear looks like heroin dealer.

HOLA4418

I think when you guys say how great the photography is, you are actually saying how great the post-production is.

Most of the loveliness is conjured up after the shoot. (I did 25 years at the Beeb doing such things, though animals not cars)

The really stunning stuff was the high speed stuff, almost certainly shot on a photron:

http://www.photron.com/content.cfm?n=gallery

There's another camera often used too, but the name escapes me. Might be a Viper but not sure.

It's all very very well done though I grant you, but Clarkson really does annoy me.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Best episode of recent years was obviously the robin reliant space shuttle..

shame the budget in the last 2 series seems to have been slashed as there haven't been any spectaculars to beat it.

The main problem with Fifth Gear, is that the presenters have the combined personality of a hedge..I know it shouldn't be about personality, and more about the cars, but its the way you present information to people keeps them engaged or not.

HOLA4422
I agree its one of the best shows on the box but given the general poverty of the schedules these days its not that hard to look good anyway.

Very true.

Piers Morgan in a recent article accused Clarkson from suffering from an over inflated ego that's stuck up his own ar5e. Factually correct, but coming from Piers Morgan that's somehting.

HOLA4423

Archived