House Price Crash Forum

Woman Who Cheated Death By Missing Flight 447 Is Killed In Car Crash

MOP

HOLA441

Woman who missed Flight 447 is killed in car crash

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle6479203.ece

I'm sure a few people on here have seen the movie "Final Destination"?

Final Destination is a 2000 supernatural thriller, about a group of teenagers who cheat death by avoiding a plane crash. Soon after, the survivors of the flight begin dying in a chain of accidents, in the same order they would have died on the plane.

I think it's a great fictional concept, but nothing more.

Do any of my fellow HPCers believe in the concept of fate?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I remember seeing a young boy being interviewed on the telly years and years ago who was the only survivor in a plane crash.

When asked why he thought that he was the only one who survived the crash he replied-

'I listened very carefully to the air hostess when she went through the emergency drill'.

HOLA445
Guest redwine
I remember seeing a young boy being interviewed on the telly years and years ago who was the only survivor in a plane crash.

When asked why he thought that he was the only one who survived the crash he replied-

'I listened very carefully to the air hostess when she went through the emergency drill'.

there was a 11 year old boy who went to Brazil to visit his grandparents he missed his flight an earlier on so they put him on AF447

poor kid

HOLA446
Guest anorthosite

There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.

So I would suggest we don't build Skynet.

HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest anorthosite
You're always spoiling my fun you are :(

Fun for you it may be, death & destruction it is for the rest of mankind. :o

HOLA449
HOLA4410
I'm an atheist and a rationalist, I don't believe in fate at all.

Except I'm very superstitious. I should stoppit but I can't :rolleyes: .

I laughed at this, from etymology -

Rationalist >

"to give an explanation that conceals true motives"

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

It's utterly irrational but I hate flying and feel I've cheated death everytime the plane lands successfully. Although I've probably flown far less than average (didn't fly until my 20s as I wasn't from a rich or chav household) I still feel the more I fly the more I'll be due a disaster.

Wish I could look at the stats and just enjoy the flight but I can't!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Guest theboltonfury

surely the air hostess should have survived too then?

HOLA4418

Flying makes me flatulent,restless and uncomfortable.I'd rather bloody well walk but I don't have the time.Although thinking about it,that's not such a bad idea.Imagine how much more interesting life would be and the adventures you'd have if you had to walk to your holiday destination.They do say travelling is better than arriving.Which is why if I can't walk or cycle,I drive.Except long haul which I loathe.

HOLA4419
there was a 11 year old boy who went to Brazil to visit his grandparents he missed his flight an earlier on so they put him on AF447

poor kid

That is very upsetting to think of a child going through that, and dying, all alone. :(

I can imagine the guilt the parents will live with for the rest of their lives.

HOLA4420

poor kid

I'm sure I recall there was that twerrible train fire in the tunnel in the alps. A kid had been put on a full train, no room for his father who caught the next one - and was fried at over 1000C.

So there was this kid stood alone waiting at the platform for his father to arrive on the next train......

HOLA4421
It's utterly irrational but I hate flying and feel I've cheated death everytime the plane lands successfully. Although I've probably flown far less than average (didn't fly until my 20s as I wasn't from a rich or chav household) I still feel the more I fly the more I'll be due a disaster.

Wish I could look at the stats and just enjoy the flight but I can't!

Book(*) I'm reading makes the suggestion that 1,595 people were killed in cars due to 911, that is half as many as were killed than in the actual events. And six times the total number of plane passengers killed.

Apparantly, for one year only, there was a blip in car deaths in the USA. Hypothesis is that this cooincided with a drop in air travel as those who became more afraid of flying choose instead travel by, the far less save, car.

(*) Risk - Dan Gardner Fun read. A good cure for anyone who takes numbers printed in the media at face value. Particularly if the numbers appear to support their own point of view.

HOLA4422
Woman who missed Flight 447 is killed in car crash

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle6479203.ece

I'm sure a few people on here have seen the movie "Final Destination"?

I think it's a great fictional concept, but nothing more.

The subject of a long and ongoing debate with Mrs.P The fact that you miss any event that would have led to your death doesn't alter the chances that something else will kill you.This is merely a coincidence and is used by those who believe in fairy tales to try to prove their theory.All life is a series of chances.Statistically if you live through your fifties there may be a 2% chance that you will die from natural causes.If you make it to your 60th birthday the next decade may have a risk of maybe 7%.Insurance companies use these figures to determine premiums and pension funds to determine costs.

Statisically if you drive to the airport there may be a chance in ten million of being killed en route.If you ride a motor bike it may rise to one in a million.Every activity from playing a round of golf to eating a steak carries a theoretically quantifiable risk.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Surely it's all a case of time & chance but sometimes we attempt to make sense of it or apply meaning to it

A couple of instances I heard of:

A young guy into travelling was waiting on a plane as a passanger ready for take-off at a foreign airport (somewhere in the third world I think it was). He was in a window seat and another passenger asked if he could swap places and sit there instead. The young guy swapped places. Later on there was a malfunction with one of the planes engines - It was a propeller engine and part of the propeller pierced the skin of the aircraft and killed the man sat next to the window. I heard that the guy who had swapped places and survived rather than being put off flying saw it as a new lease of life and was even more keen to travel afterwards (at least in the short term but I dont know if he changed his mind since..)

This next tale came from the net so I don't know how accurate this is: An american businessman did not like the fact he had to trust his life to an airline and pilot when flying. He wanted to be in control of his own destiny so he took flying lessons and eventually was able to fly himself around as required. Seems like a good idea so far eh?

Well unfortunately for him there was an incident where his plane was written off in the hanger at the landing strip and he was obliterated. The investigation into the accident concluded that on returning after a trip at a late hour and possibly due to tiredness he had hit a wrong pedal or control on the aircraft and had inadvertantly accelerated on his way into the hangar..

HOLA4425
The subject of a long and ongoing debate with Mrs.P The fact that you miss any event that would have led to your death doesn't alter the chances that something else will kill you.This is merely a coincidence and is used by those who believe in fairy tales to try to prove their theory.All life is a series of chances.Statistically if you live through your fifties there may be a 2% chance that you will die from natural causes.If you make it to your 60th birthday the next decade may have a risk of maybe 7%.Insurance companies use these figures to determine premiums and pension funds to determine costs.

Statisically if you drive to the airport there may be a chance in ten million of being killed en route.If you ride a motor bike it may rise to one in a million.Every activity from playing a round of golf to eating a steak carries a theoretically quantifiable risk.

Its more like 1:10,000 of being killed in an accident en-route to the airport.

This contrasts with the c. 1:3,000,000 odds of being killed in a civil aviation accident.

Archived