House Price Crash Forum

Moving Back Fro Oz

HOLA441
Guest มร หล&#3
That's why I'm toughing it out... a bloody decent rec/depression will actually be good for Britain.

Brits are great people at heart.

I'll go with that.

I ran away though. Couldn't stand the industry I was in any more. They near killed me last year. I just don't really have any happy memories of the place. I think that's down to individuals mind and not the country as a whole.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I'll go with that.

I ran away though. Couldn't stand the industry I was in any more. They near killed me last year. I just don't really have any happy memories of the place. I think that's down to individuals mind and not the country as a whole.

Having a second **** probably didn't help.

p-o-p

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
We lived in 3 different states in Australia, and I can recall meeting many Brits voicing just the same opinions when we lived there.

The feelings of homesickness, isolation and boredom can be overwhelming for many Brits living there.

We were one of the lucky families who made it back to the UK.

Good luck with planning your return to the UK. Through all its ups and downs in the UK, so far, we have never regretted coming back once.

You say, you could always return to Australia if you needed to, so I would advise you keep bank accounts etc open in Australia. It is lucky that you have this option if work problems here give you a problem. We too have the option to go back to Australia if needed.

And in answer to your original question, I would strongly advise against buying property over here in the curreent climate. There is plenty of choice with rentals. I think property prices still have a long way to fall, and if you do not own, it gives you freedom of movement area wise.

Expats are well renowned for the Boomerang effect. They spend years in Oz to get their residency, then Citizenship, then return home, then return to Oz, then return home, then come back again.

Its made hard simply because of family, the draw of being back with family is sometimes too much and after a few years they break and return to the UK.

Women are the worst offenders, they lack the mettle to make a go of it in Oz and miss their mates and family back in the UK, however when they return they realise that they didnt ever see their family and mates that much in the first place and them miss their mates in Oz.

Oz like any other country is what you make of it, if you come over thinking its all roses and plenty of jobs and money then you are going to be dissapointed. If you come over with feet on the ground, wishing to make of a go of it, then they will give anyone a fair go.

Something else I have noticed in the City here is that the age group of workers is far older than the UK, in fact I was in a meeting this afternoon when someone spoke in words about young people in the workplace that in the UK would have her in front of a court on grounds of age discrimination.

HOLA446
HOLA447

laurejon,If oz has such a great future why did Rudd give out $900 to everyone to stimulate the economy ? :blink::blink:

The Prime Minister immediately reintroduced his emergency economic plan into Parliament and the package passed in a rare Friday sitting. The amended package will leave low-income workers and single income families $50 short. They will not get the promised $950, but $900. Those earning less than $80,000 will too receive $900, while people on incomes of between $80,000 and $90,000 will receive $600, and those earning between $90,000 and $100,000 will get a $250 bonus. The savings on this package will go to aid the jobless.

link : http://blog.visafirst.co.uk/900-aud-handout-at-risk/

Edited by tiggerthetiger

HOLA448
Well it's been great fun but it's time to come home,for several reasons but a very week pound is quite an atractive one to start with. I'me looking for a house in the 300k range,things are looking pretty afordable I am pleased to say.But it's hard to get the feel of the market from here.Target area is Norfolk, any ideas????

I returned to the UK after 15 years in the far east but coming back in 2004 and coming back now are two different things as far as the job situation is concerned. Narfolk must be especially bad unless you're a careworker.

As for buying a house, maybe in 20 years time it might be worth considering.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I have been back and forward for years.

The feeling of depression when I arrive from Oz to Heathrow is hard to explain. Its a grey dark and filthy nation the moment you step off the plane at Heathrow, the rudeness of people, the lack of human friendship, the look on peoples faces makes you realise you are back in the UK. I have seen people fall ill on the floor in London, and people just step over them, or cross the road. I have watched people be robbed on the Tube whilst other passengers simply read their paper happy its not happening to them.

The UK has lost the ideology of what makes up a society, its repressive, violent, ignorant, and lacking in common decency and human compassion.

The reason people come from the third world and war torn nations to live in London is that they feel at home there.............and for me that comes as no suprise.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
laurejon,If oz has such a great future why did Rudd give out $900 to everyone to stimulate the economy ? :blink::blink:

The Prime Minister immediately reintroduced his emergency economic plan into Parliament and the package passed in a rare Friday sitting. The amended package will leave low-income workers and single income families $50 short. They will not get the promised $950, but $900. Those earning less than $80,000 will too receive $900, while people on incomes of between $80,000 and $90,000 will receive $600, and those earning between $90,000 and $100,000 will get a $250 bonus. The savings on this package will go to aid the jobless.

link : http://blog.visafirst.co.uk/900-aud-handout-at-risk/

Well you answered your own question.

Brown gave the stimulas package to bankers......................................where would it be used to better effect in your opinion, Bankers on fantastic salaries and Bonus's, or the struggling working classes ?

HOLA4413
Guest มร หล&#3
Didn't you have surgery done upon your butt?

p-o-p

:lol::lol::lol:

Yes and in the prep room they brought the signing sheet thing and asked if they could change it from leg to ar$e!

Funny!

I had an email the other day, read it below.

"Afternoon, been a couple of weeks since the last update, was wondering how the works and going and life is out there.

All ticking on over here, spose a bit like a F-Rated 80's tumble dryer but least it's not raining...

As per usual i'm on night, slapping the locals about for a bit of fun (the dumb *******)

Any job's going out there, think i'm bored with this one!

Time to get my money out of this sinking ship!

Oh well better go cut the lawn.

Take it steady..Pete."

Old mate from the UK. Paramedic. used to really rag at me about how great the UK was. He loved it. Got big motorbike, went climbing, all sorts of outdoor activities, good life.

Now . . . well . . .

HOLA4414

The feeling of depression when I arrive from Oz to Heathrow is hard to explain. Its a grey dark and filthy nation the moment you step off the plane at Heathrow, the rudeness of people, the lack of human friendship, the look on peoples faces makes you realise you are back in the UK. I have seen people fall ill on the floor in London, and people just step over them, or cross the road. I have watched people be robbed on the Tube whilst other passengers simply read their paper happy its not happening to them.

The UK has lost the ideology of what makes up a society, its repressive, violent, ignorant, and lacking in common decency and human compassion.

The reason people come from the third world and war torn nations to live in London is that they feel at home there.............and for me that comes as no suprise.

Well in the last thirty years I`ve worked in the US ( currently in Houston ) ,Australia , NZ , Singapore , all over the Middle East and I never fail to look forward to returning to Old Blighty ...

May I say you seem to be an individual with serious issues ...

HOLA4415
Guest มร หล&#3
Cultural wasteland? Surely you're referring to Norfolk? That loverly place where I recall being called a wog when I visited a local chicken factory. The nice local term for outsiders I believe.

Ouim sharrrpenin' moi petchfarck!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Umm... class hangups are there in full force. They are just not so obvious via dress, accent etc, and class is not necessarily hereditary, but it is there in all its ugliness.

I have not noticed any class barriers.

For sure if you are a Bikie, or a druggie then you will not be invited to a cocktail party in the Royal Botanical Gardens, but then if you were from that ilk would you enjoy it anyway ?

In my experience of life here, the Ozzies give everyone a fair go. If you are alone and plonk yourself down at a bar either in the City, or Suburbs, then after a few minutes a group of people will invite you to join them on their table.

I have not ever seen that in the UK, and I cannot ever imagine seeing children being allowed in bars in the UK. Here in Oz, even Grandma gets to go out with the family to a bar and have an evening out with the family.

Oz is about Families, Society, Community, Friends, if thats alien to you, as is the case with many Brits then best go to spain as they do a cracking pint of guiness and cooked breakie in Fungerola

HOLA4418

Heathrow is horrific? True, but it's just a place you pass through. And as far as I'm concerned, the same goes for London.

HOLA4419
Well you answered your own question.

Brown gave the stimulas package to bankers......................................where would it be used to better effect in your opinion, Bankers on fantastic salaries and Bonus's, or the struggling working classes ?

It boils down to the same thing.How long do you think $900 will last,the US tried it, and it didnt work.Im not saying UK is better but i do not think oZ has anything better going for it in the long run.You can enjoy sunshine only so long before you get sick of it,and begin to crave seasons such as glorious spring time in UK in the countryside.(get out of London)

Uk has thousands upon thousands of miles footpaths criss crossing the countryside which anyone can walk along and often never meet another soul...In many areas you cannot hear anything but bird song.No traffic.....no people...It doesnt have to be theme parks it just takes a bit of imagination

One just has to get out of the car and walk..

The climate is burning up.Oz is a huge continent,but it hasnt got the water,for its population to survive long term.Its toast.

95% live on on or near the coast

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/04/...raper-text.html

Edited by tiggerthetiger

HOLA4420
Well in the last thirty years I`ve worked in the US ( currently in Houston ) ,Australia , NZ , Singapore , all over the Middle East and I never fail to look forward to returning to Old Blighty ...

May I say you seem to be an individual with serious issues ...

Yes of course you can say that, its written in the Charter of European Rights, page 22, paragraph 12.

I hope you are not one of those God damm awfull loudmouth Yanks....................God I hate those people!!!!

HOLA4421

For sure if you are a Bikie, or a druggie then you will not be invited to a cocktail party in the Royal Botanical Gardens, but then if you were from that ilk would you enjoy it anyway ?

In my experience of life here, the Ozzies give everyone a fair go. If you are alone and plonk yourself down at a bar either in the City, or Suburbs, then after a few minutes a group of people will invite you to join them on their table.

I have not ever seen that in the UK, and I cannot ever imagine seeing children being allowed in bars in the UK. Here in Oz, even Grandma gets to go out with the family to a bar and have an evening out with the family.

Oz is about Families, Society, Community, Friends, if thats alien to you, as is the case with many Brits then best go to spain as they do a cracking pint of guiness and cooked breakie in Fungerola

Yes, this is a really positive thing if you're a stranger there. Never seen that much in Britain. Definitely never in urban Britain.

HOLA4422
Guest มร หล&#3

I will say that some of my best friends out here are Aussie's. They're great fun and there's no malice in them. Straight forward nice folks in my opinion.

But that's here and not Aus. Never been there.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I just returned to the from Aus after 7 years. Lived in Melbourne, Sydney and finally Brisbane.

Aus is great, many things to like. Easy place to live, generally very nice people. Good fun. However, just as many things to dislike as the UK (and everywhere else in the world). That's not a slur against Aus it's just life. Aus has its problems.

Personally I very much prefer the UK. I could understand why others would prefer Aus. However, living there you will get considerable pressure to acquiesce and agree that Aus is the land of milk and honey and the UK is a hellish, dreadful, criminal place. The absolute worst thing for me was British ex-pats who devoted a great deal of time justifying their decision to live so far from home to themselves, telling anyone that would listen how bad the UK is and how flawless Australia is. Constant, monotonous self targeted propaganda urging everyone to believe they did the right thing. Snorting derision at any suggestion of going home. It wears very thin, very quickly.

I actually found that, ultimately, most British people I spoke to about how difficult I found it to feel at home at Aus would broadly agree that they felt the same. It was very possibly a coincidence, but those Brits that most vehemently insisted that only an insane or disturbed mind would want to move back to the UK from 'paradise', happened to be the most small minded and racist - I have no real explanation for this.

I am actually concerned that a lot of people become trapped somewhere they don't want to be because of pride - they perceive they would be viewed as failing if they moved back home.

HOLA4425
I've worked with Ozzies for many years - a far better experience than working with the Brits - far more straightforward in the way they communicate. Less of the usual pernicious office politics.

I'm not that keen on old-commonwealth workers in a UK environment. Far too cheerful and full of smiles. Employment is generally exploitation. Looking grim and moaning is a very appropriate response.

p-o-p