House Price Crash Forum
Pigdog

Moving Back Fro Oz

Well it's been great fun but it's time to come home,for several reasons but a very week pound is quite an atractive one to start with. I'me looking for a house in the 300k range,things are looking pretty afordable I am pleased to say.But it's hard to get the feel of the market from here.Target area is Norfolk, any ideas????

Well it's been great fun but it's time to come home,for several reasons but a very week pound is quite an atractive one to start with. I'me looking for a house in the 300k range,things are looking pretty afordable I am pleased to say.But it's hard to get the feel of the market from here.Target area is Norfolk, any ideas????

Don't come back.... it's crap, and about to get much worse!

Stay where you are. Why would you come back?

I came back mid 2007 and am still wondering if I made a mistake, we came back for family reasons - it's just too far away - but the future is looking very grim for the UK, far more so than for Oz IMO. Unemployment is already quite high, and will increase; I feel that interest rates will have to rise substantially before the end of the year meaning intense pain for anyone who bought within the last seven years; taxes will have to increase to rates last seen during the seventies; you might feel safe if you are public sector - I wouldn't.

Where are you in Oz, what is the market doing where you are, have you sold, about to sell, trying to sell?

We have a bull on here, an Ozzy bull his name is Bardon, reckons the Oz market will keep going up and up, something to do with new rules, an ordinary Ozzy can afford 10 times his income now?

I am in Oz and I wake up in the middle of the night sometimes in a sweat thinking I am back in the UK.

The UK is a nation to be observed from as far away as possible, I get daily reports on just how sh1te it is there, and wild horses would not drive me to return anytime soon.

As for the exchange rate, well its p1ss poor at less than two bucks to the pound. However where the pound stands is of little consequence to me, and for most other people. You have to look at the life you are living for the wages you are earning on a local level, and Oz makes the UK look like the rat infested cesspit it is, and has been for the past ten years.

I am in Oz and I wake up in the middle of the night sometimes in a sweat thinking I am back in the UK.

The UK is a nation to be observed from as far away as possible, I get daily reports on just how sh1te it is there, and wild horses would not drive me to return anytime soon.

As for the exchange rate, well its p1ss poor at less than two bucks to the pound. However where the pound stands is of little consequence to me, and for most other people. You have to look at the life you are living for the wages you are earning on a local level, and Oz makes the UK look like the rat infested cesspit it is, and has been for the past ten years.

Say what you think, you know, no holds? :(

I know it's bad, but I'me a student here at the moment not through choice (we have unemployment close to UK and rising)

and at the end of the day I can study in the UK as easy as OZ the pound is great for us athe moment and probably not to be repeated.The economy here is small and very fragile,There simply isn't enough people to sustaine a long resesion.Om top of that I am sick of bloody Australians (well some of them anyway)

I know it's bad, but I'me a student here at the moment not through choice (we have unemployment close to UK and rising)

and at the end of the day I can study in the UK as easy as OZ the pound is great for us athe moment and probably not to be repeated.The economy here is small and very fragile,There simply isn't enough people to sustaine a long resesion.Om top of that I am sick of bloody Australians (well some of them anyway)

Good luck with your studies. English is it? ;)

The other day myself and a number of ex poms had a few drinks .At the beginning of the night in typical Brit fasion everyone slaged off the UK much to the delight of the Aussie guests.At the end of the night all of them admited they would go back in a heart beat if they could afford it.Sory to say it but Australia is a cultural wastland at the bottom of the word.Having said that I could always come back if I had to.

We are cashed up courtsy of Kevin Rudds amaing stimulus measures The property market is riding high on the crest of a very tempuary wave !!! god help them

Maybe you should be studying Geography.

Australia is a vast nation, rich in natural resources. Gas fields are in abundance and will see the small population of 22m quite nicely thank you. Australia having a population less than London, yet a Geographic Area that would house the whole of Western Europe into Western Australia alone is pretty much uncharted in terms of resources. Gold, Uranium, Oil, Gas, are all hiden beneath this great continents huge landmass.

Many would say thats pure speculation, however its actually not. There are massive reserves of natural resources and the worlds greedy b'stards have moved in years ago buying up the rights to explore and licences to extract. However they chose to keep it secret squirrel, and wait till prices are sky high when the resources run out in the rest of the world.

Be under no illusion, Australia is not a sea of sand an inhospitable climates, indeed its much the opposite in most parts and that myth is put about to keep the population low and justify the limits put on immigration.

Travel to Australia univited, and you can look forward to..............not a council house and a lifetime of benefits, but a life on a desolate island off the coast with food rations and deportation to your homeland at your Governments expense being your salvation.

The other day myself and a number of ex poms had a few drinks .At the beginning of the night in typical Brit fasion everyone slaged off the UK much to the delight of the Aussie guests.At the end of the night all of them admited they would go back in a heart beat if they could afford it.Sory to say it but Australia is a cultural wastland at the bottom of the word.Having said that I could always come back if I had to.

We are cashed up courtsy of Kevin Rudds amaing stimulus measures The property market is riding high on the crest of a very tempuary wave !!! god help them

Not sure where you are living but its sounds like Perth to me. I too would go home tommorow if I lived in Perth. Its the most isolated city in the world, and its full of whinging poms who thought they could get a six bedroom house on the waterfront for £75k because their mates told them that in the Royal Oak in Essex on a Saturday night when they were all pissed.

I am in Sydney, the City, and I dont know anyone who would even consider for a moment going back to the UK. When I am out in the evening.................far too many evenings.................I meet loads of Poms working in the City and all tell me stories of their mates in London and the UK who have been out of work for four months and longer. Indeed I was chatting to a guy this evening in a bar who told me that his counterparts in the UK working for a large comany that starts with I and ends in M have all had to take a 10% paycut, and face a 50% cut in numbers by the end of June.

Australia is a vast nation, rich in natural resources. Gas fields are in abundance and will see the small population of 22m quite nicely thank you. Australia having a population less than London, yet a Geographic Area that would house the whole of Western Europe into Western Australia alone is pretty much uncharted in terms of resources. Gold, Uranium, Oil, Gas, are all hiden beneath this great continents huge landmass.

PS One of the highest taxed countries in the world Masive space costly roads very few tax payers ,As for imigrants sent to islands those days are over. Yes we have mass reserves of minerals etc it's a beautiful Quarry if ever I saw one

Not sure where you are living but its sounds like Perth to me. I too would go home tommorow if I lived in Perth. Its the most isolated city in the world, and its full of whinging poms who thought they could get a six bedroom house on the waterfront for £75k because their mates told them that in the Royal Oak in Essex on a Saturday night when they were all pissed.

I am in Sydney, the City, and I dont know anyone who would even consider for a moment going back to the UK. When I am out in the evening.................far too many evenings.................I meet loads of Poms working in the City and all tell me stories of their mates in London and the UK who have been out of work for four months and longer. Indeed I was chatting to a guy this evening in a bar who told me that his counterparts in the UK working for a large comany that starts with I and ends in M have all had to take a 10% paycut, and face a 50% cut in numbers by the end of June.

Actually It's the sunshine Coast and yes it is waterfront No not 75k about 150k 10 years age......don't get me wrong it nice,very nice in the winter,46 degrees in the summer with 100% humidity, Paradise!

And I agree there are plenty of poms very happy with the place and good luck to them,but i'me bored with it.

Many would say thats pure speculation, however its actually not. There are massive reserves of natural resources and the worlds greedy b'stards have moved in years ago buying up the rights to explore and licences to extract. However they chose to keep it secret squirrel, and wait till prices are sky high when the resources run out in the rest of the world.

Be under no illusion, Australia is not a sea of sand an inhospitable climates, indeed its much the opposite in most parts and that myth is put about to keep the population low and justify the limits put on immigration.

Travel to Australia univited, and you can look forward to..............not a council house and a lifetime of benefits, but a life on a desolate island off the coast with food rations and deportation to your homeland at your Governments expense being your salvation.

Err... Population of Greater London is well under 10m...

Guest มร หล&#3

Yep Laurejon!

Whenever I feel down out here in the Land of Smiles, I just think back to how life was in that place . . . BIG SMILE!

At the end of the night all of them admited they would go back in a heart beat if they could afford it.

We lived in 3 different states in Australia, and I can recall meeting many Brits voicing just the same opinions when we lived there.

The feelings of homesickness, isolation and boredom can be overwhelming for many Brits living there.

We were one of the lucky families who made it back to the UK.

Good luck with planning your return to the UK. Through all its ups and downs in the UK, so far, we have never regretted coming back once.

You say, you could always return to Australia if you needed to, so I would advise you keep bank accounts etc open in Australia. It is lucky that you have this option if work problems here give you a problem. We too have the option to go back to Australia if needed.

And in answer to your original question, I would strongly advise against buying property over here in the curreent climate. There is plenty of choice with rentals. I think property prices still have a long way to fall, and if you do not own, it gives you freedom of movement area wise.

My £0.02

I lived in Oz for 35 years; every state at one time or another. I never liked it very much. I like it even less now that it wants to be America when it grows up.

It's a nation of rich chavs. If you like that sort of Essex, glitzy shopping centre, posing in your ridiculous looking car with the GT stripe, sucking on stubbies at BBQs type lifestyle, you'll love Oz.

If that's not your bag, you'll fecking hate it... and you'll hate Aussies.

The UK has it's problems, many of which are bloody annoying, but I don't miss Australia at all... not one iota.

We lived in 3 different states in Australia, and I can recall meeting many Brits voicing just the same opinions when we lived there.

The feelings of homesickness, isolation and boredom can be overwhelming for many Brits living there.

We were one of the lucky families who made it back to the UK.

Good luck with planning your return to the UK. Through all its ups and downs in the UK, so far, we have never regretted coming back once.

You say, you could always return to Australia if you needed to, so I would advise you keep bank accounts etc open in Australia. It is lucky that you have this option if work problems here give you a problem. We too have the option to go back to Australia if needed.

And in answer to your original question, I would strongly advise against buying property over here in the curreent climate. There is plenty of choice with rentals. I think property prices still have a long way to fall, and if you do not own, it gives you freedom of movement area wise.

Thanks m8 I have to agree there still looks like a bit of price correction to go.

I am so looking forward to cheep and quick flights to Europe,and real ale etc. I'll keep u posted.

Anyway it's nearly midnight here and the effects of rough Aussi wine are having there effects,God bless Britania.

Regards Pigdog

Guest มร หล&#3

Wayne and Newdman, I've heard this about Aus. People do seem to return saying the same thing. Zero culture of any substance.

The UK will return to normality at some point. No more BMW materialism, more village fates and jam making, no more Gucci shoes, more WI cake making and probably a return to church (not necessarily religion, but CofE congregations on a Sunday morning).

Here's hoping.

Wayne and Newdman, I've heard this about Aus. People do seem to return saying the same thing. Zero culture of any substance.

The UK will return to normality at some point. No more BMW materialism, more village fates and jam making, no more Gucci shoes, more WI cake making and probably a return to church (not necessarily religion, but CofE congregations on a Sunday morning).

Here's hoping.

That's why I'm toughing it out... a bloody decent rec/depression will actually be good for Britain.

Brits are great people at heart.

Actually It's the sunshine Coast and yes it is waterfront No not 75k about 150k 10 years age......don't get me wrong it nice,very nice in the winter,46 degrees in the summer with 100% humidity, Paradise!

And I agree there are plenty of poms very happy with the place and good luck to them,but i'me bored with it.

If you cant stand the heat get out of the fire, move to more temperate climes. Melbourne is cold in winter, and Sydney is not far behind in the evenings. I was out tonight and its not warm even by UK standards.

Guest มร หล&#3
That's why I'm toughing it out... a bloody decent rec/depression will actually be good for Britain.

Brits are great people at heart.

Edited by มร หลบเลี่ยง