Altrincham/hale/halebarns

dst

HOLA441
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I briefly lived in a terrace on Byrom street (Hale end). It was Baltic in the winter, but I put the down to drafty doors and windows. It was one of the smaller terraces, not the bay fronted ones with halls.

I put it down to the chronic drafts through the single glazed window frames and the decrepit boiler. The doors aren't draughty because the damp weather warps them to **** :blink: Previous terrace was d/glazed and modern boilered and was so much better.

HOLA443
HOLA444

You only need an above mean houshold income to afford that. Not a problem.

I assume you are being sarcastic, but back in the 80's and 90's it was families on benefits living in these houses and/or with low paying casual or service sector work. These are some of the worst houses in that council estate (along with The Gorse which is at that end) in terms of build quality and size. The Vale is gentrifying slowly sure, and much of that estate is privately owned now, but it's still depressing to think how far money doesn't go. I suppose people from outside the Vale might be lured by the 'Bowdon' address, but I don't suffer that illusion. I wouldn't pay 1p to live in that house. :D

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/30990567?utm_source=homesco&utm_medium=feeds

Here's one with an eyesore extension. Listed as STC now!

Whoa, I had to readjust my eyes, it's that bad it looks fuzzy on screen :D

Spotted this one yesterday, no extension but just grim for the asking price http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29101434.html

Suppose you could always create more space by extending into the loft? oh s*** the architect already did that...

HOLA448
HOLA449

Whoa, I had to readjust my eyes, it's that bad it looks fuzzy on screen :D

Spotted this one yesterday, no extension but just grim for the asking price http://www.rightmove...y-29101434.html

Suppose you could always create more space by extending into the loft? oh s*** the architect already did that...

£65,000. That's what I expect such houses to be selling for after the crash.

HOLA4410

An old one but a good one in the dodgy extension stakes:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=35212316&sale=820723&country=england

TBF aesthetics are poor but it seemed pretty well built.

yeah at least the brickwork matches, but why they put tiny windows in randomly I'll never know.

The wide window added to the loft space on the gable end, why oh why? it just looks wrong wrong wrong.

HOLA4411

£65,000. That's what I expect such houses to be selling for after the crash.

I really hope you are right. I just hope there will be enough housing stock left that is owned outright or with high equity, to enable them to be sold on at such prices. Then again a return to past repossession criteria might solve the problem of the over indebted.

HOLA4412

yeah at least the brickwork matches, but why they put tiny windows in randomly I'll never know.

The wide window added to the loft space on the gable end, why oh why? it just looks wrong wrong wrong.

That one had been for sale for ages IIRC.

Would be interesting to see what the new owners do or don't do with it.

I'd have the 'architect' arrested personally lol.

HOLA4413

That one had been for sale for ages IIRC.

Would be interesting to see what the new owners do or don't do with it.

I'd have the 'architect' arrested personally lol.

It's in the public domain on the Trafford planning system. The reason for the prior strange set up was that it was at one point a shop of some sort.

I would have been very interested at the £215-220k level.

HOLA4414

I have a more critical eye towards houses now I am looking to buy. Our housing stock is pretty rubbish in the UK, many of the 100 year old terraces in our area have had numerous modification, repairs, extensions; various building works. Some have been done badly, some well. Superficial stuff doesn't bother me, it's the complete aesthetic disregard that gets me - modifications completely at odds with the original design and look, or even how a house should look. :D

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I really hope you are right. I just hope there will be enough housing stock left that is owned outright or with high equity, to enable them to be sold on at such prices. Then again a return to past repossession criteria might solve the problem of the over indebted.

Was not in a good mood when I posted the £65K comment.. Not really expecting that, but perhaps some selective opportunities for prices like on occasion, if we get HPC. Come on.. look at it. Offers over £240,000 ...... what's going on? World of insanity? Bit close to canal for my liking too.

To me we need a sudden tail off in what buyers are willing to pay, no matter how much HTB2 waved in their faces, such prices a barrier if something else is threatening in the economy, such as consequences from US taper.

It then doesn't require too many sellers and buyers to transact/deal/agree lower prices to bring down values for all other owners, which may draw out many more complacent owners to market to try and sell. Lot of sellers tested the market but have decided to hold on, removing their house of the market, in recent years, so perhaps quite a bit of stored up demand to sell vulnerable to a slowdown in market. Including I think this one on the same close, where they were asking £225K in 2009. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=27106028&sale=34564304&country=england

May 2013 http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2013/may/13/mortgages-property-debt-uk-trends

Fewer than two in five UK households have property debt

The UK might have a reputation as a nation of mortgage slaves – interest rates are often reported as if that's the case – but that's not the reality. The ONS figures reveal 9.2 million UK households had property debt in 2008/10 – that's 37.3% of the total.

This figure was actually a slight decrease from the 9.4 million households who had property debt two years earlier. Those households might be making those repayments for a while yet, though: between them, they have a total of £847,911,798,000 to pay off on their properties (median debt £75,000).

The estate agent: Peter Bolton King:

I came back from a holiday at the start of autumn 1989 and my first job, as a partner at Locke & England in Leamington Spa was a meeting with the managers. I looked at them and asked, "What's the matter with you lot?" They said, "The market's gone." It was weird. I had only been away for two weeks but it had stopped overnight.

The phones stopped ringing and people simply stopped coming through the door.

HOLA4417

Notice this one has been on the market for a while:

http://www.primeloca...etails/30133205

Looks reasonably well done out inside and a nice garden. Guess the street itself and relative size hold it back?

Sold 22 Jan 2004 @ £158,000

Sold 30 May 2002 @ £90,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=6946986&sale=34571885&country=england

I can't see pass the asking prices (very high to me), but in this instance I personally don't care it siding on to the car-park for the apartments.

Next door is on market too... currently asking price of £232,500

http://www.rightmove...y-44225729.html

Sold 13 May 2008 @ £217,000

http://www.rightmove...country=england

HOLA4418

I have a more critical eye towards houses now I am looking to buy. Our housing stock is pretty rubbish in the UK, many of the 100 year old terraces in our area have had numerous modification, repairs, extensions; various building works. Some have been done badly, some well. Superficial stuff doesn't bother me, it's the complete aesthetic disregard that gets me - modifications completely at odds with the original design and look, or even how a house should look. :D

Good; it's said people become more selective when there is less money around,

and prices flat-lining, or falling, instead of overlooking such things when there

are big HPI expectations.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Agree, very rarely see a period house with an extension that has been done sympathetically, its usually orange brick/concrete tile/placcy windows that are the wrong shape, all done in the 80's-current house building style. Is it down to cost or them not taking an interest in the design/drawings, do they just want the extra space and leave the 'design' at the mercy of the architect/builder?

There are also a lot of very ugly houses around that haven't been modified, if a hundred houses came on the market in my search area in one month, they'd usually only be about 3 that I thought were actually nice to look at, and that's just on the outside :)

HOLA4422

265k for this tree street terrace and it's one of the smaller ones, needs new kitchen, bathroom, some updating, full redecorating at least.

My link

I'd imagine it will be snapped up very quick though. These kind of terraces seem to shift very quick at the moment. Shame, because in a cooler market I might have bid.

HOLA4423

265k for this tree street terrace and it's one of the smaller ones, needs new kitchen, bathroom, some updating, full redecorating at least.

My link

I'd imagine it will be snapped up very quick though. These kind of terraces seem to shift very quick at the moment. Shame, because in a cooler market I might have bid.

It seems to lack a cellar which limits a family's options somewhat. Hence the price but I still expect it to go over asking unless there is something drastically wrong with the place. And that is why I am having to fold and sit this game out.

Edit: Look at the last picture, no. 24, its the only house out of 5 visible without a dormer loft conversion. I don't think I can recall seeing this phenomenon anywhere less prosperous. And by prosperous I mean paying over the odds for tiny houses. Of course its probably endemic in London too.

Watersums are showing a Bold St at 240k with open house at some point. I heard there was lots of interest at, if not over, the 3% stamp duty threshold.

Edited by 7 Year Itch

HOLA4424

My link

I see they went for a home cremation.

HOLA4425