House Price Crash Forum

Altrincham/hale/halebarns

dst

HOLA441

langham road.

busy road (yep), no parking (yes there is) ,no garage (yep), tiny back garden (bliss) , unusable front garden (for what?), wrong part of bowden (Bowdon - Wrong how? Those are the original houses just along from Bowdon Hall, one of the first houses built by Earl of Stamford's estate manager) but it is a good looking house (yep). whats it worth, I'm afraid some fool will pay upwards of the asking (yep, I reckon £725k or thereabouts)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
I remember suggesting at the time that finding a distressed seller and buying with cash in Spring '09 would probably turn out to be the market cycle lows.

Didn't get any takers for that view unsurprisingly.

Maybe.... there's 2 to 3 houses that in retrospect I might have put offers in for into 2009 and even into 2010, had I realised everything the authorities would throw at supporting prices in the market for following years. I can't do anything about it now though, and I'm not surrendering to current rebounded market prices, HTB2 or not.

Suspect this might just be an EA office glitch. The only alternative is the buyer has quickly gotten cold feet about market-values / being a landlord, looking for a small flip profit - but the for that profit is slim (imo).

Would like to believe that alternative, with recent buyer sweating about Carney's market pincer, coming back so quickly in trying to sell, but probably unlikely.

To rent (asking £1,295pm, and think they recently reduced asking from £1,395pm)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-43844624.html

Sold for £399,000 on 23 September 2013

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=41911348&sale=820735&country=england

Back on market for sale (EA glitch?) asking price of £420,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-41911348.html

HOLA446

Unusual. Snapped up quick or sit around?

http://www.rightmove...summary40688686

700k for 3 beds, sat behind ugly commercial buildings, backing onto a primary school....but unusual style house for Hale and large plot.

I should start hiring myself out.....went to SSTC the same day I posted it here

Fallen through? http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-40688686.html

HOLA447

I'm not fully trusting RM (& agents) at the mo. Listings are up and down like a fiddlers elbow. For Sale on the street sign, sstc on RM.

BTW 4 bed on Hazel Road, smells really desperate now, asking only just reduced to 235 and now done to 230. Surprised its not been 'snapped up' yet.

HOLA448

I'm not fully trusting RM (& agents) at the mo. Listings are up and down like a fiddlers elbow. For Sale on the street sign, sstc on RM.

BTW 4 bed on Hazel Road, smells really desperate now, asking only just reduced to 235 and now done to 230. Surprised its not been 'snapped up' yet.

Ah yes that one, where some owner-interest has really emphasised big valuations on the zoopla. :lol:

This makes me feel slightly better today for some reason. I'm late to noticing it had sold. Wasn't it a rental at some point - not quite sure.

12 Jul 2013: £247,000

30 Aug 2006: £265,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=31655014&sale=587161&country=england

Listed at £260K, and I think there was a previous listing with a higher asking price.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31655014.html

HOLA449

Yes, that property is infamously the first rental i viewed in January 2010. Was for sale for £300k at that time. So taken 3.5 years to sell for much less. It is/was a nice house but there was barely a yard due to the angle on the terrace.

In the link of recent sales you posted, 25 oak road was a surprise. Asking price was £250k, selling price was £270k. Someone in there now. Looks like the downstairs is stripped back to plaster. So another doer upper over asking price. Nuts.

HOLA4410

Yes, that property is infamously the first rental i viewed in January 2010. Was for sale for £300k at that time. So taken 3.5 years to sell for much less. It is/was a nice house but there was barely a yard due to the angle on the terrace.

In the link of recent sales you posted, 25 oak road was a surprise. Asking price was £250k, selling price was £270k. Someone in there now. Looks like the downstairs is stripped back to plaster. So another doer upper over asking price. Nuts.

£300K ! So in 2006, the buyer/landlord will have paid £7,950 in stamp duty (rates from 23/03/06 to 11/03/08) + other costs + legal fees.

Must have been some rental voids along the way, including in the time they trying to sell it past two years. Other probable improvement and letting cost, and having the responsibility for tenants with issues which may crop up along the way. Accepting £18,000 less than paid, selling at £247K. Difficult to see whether that investment was worth it for them, and certainly didn't help non-owners, paying £265K in 2006 and pushing up house prices.

See what you mean about the Oak Road one. Listing still there live on Rightmove at £250K, whilst coming up sold in October at £270K.

There is at least one other listing still live on RM for a different Hale house know that has actually sold, and at a full-on price. At least it was still a live listing when I checked last week. Hope supply picks up soon. Perhaps with a change in sentiment is coming following some measures and posturing by BoE, and we might finally see some opportunities for once.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4411

Hi, I'm new here and watching this thread. :)

I'm planning on buying a house soon in the general Altrincham area (where I am from).

My budget is about 250 k of which I have saved up 130k over the last 10 years.

I don't know that much about buying a house or property to be hones

I've mixed feelings about buying now; whilst I am confident UK property is overvalued, I think it could be years, maybe decades before things unwind/correct, there is way too much political 'investment' in property for the state to let things take their 'natural course', and we see this intervention now with the low interest rates, funding for lending, and h2b. As Keynes said 'in the long run we are dead' and I think I'd rather just get my life settled down and buy a place, bite the bullet if you like, even of probably I get shaken out of the tree, accept it.

This is a fairly modest budget for Altrincham, I wish I had more money :D, but I've been keeping my eye on the 'b street' terraces in Hale, the Stamford Park area, the terraces to the east of Barrington Rd. I've lived on Byrom Street before and would be fairly happy to buy a terrace there (though not the really small ones closer to the Hale end). But there seems to be a paucity of supply on the market right now and I will be competing with the queue jumping 20-something h2b people especially in this price bracket, it is very annoying. There are some grotty looking terraces on the market, the good ones seem to go quick.

An alternative is to buy somewhere in Timperley which is acceptable I suppose, even though I feel more at home on the Hale side of Alty. There are loads of 3 bed semis there and I could get one for that money. A good victorian terrace give me a warm glow but I think it will be hard to find one. The very 'commodified' semis out in Timperley don't excite me very much but I can see some advantages. What I don't want is a grotty/odd ball terrace or one in the crapper parts of Alty (such as Navvy Road) which will be harder to sell eventually and/or be a money pit, but the Timperley semis will always be needed by families.

HOLA4412

I'm planning on buying a house soon in the general Altrincham area (where I am from).

I've mixed feelings about buying now; whilst I am confident UK property is overvalued, I think it could be years, maybe decades before things unwind/correct, there is way too much political 'investment' in property for the state to let things take their 'natural course', and we see this intervention now with the low interest rates, funding for lending, and h2b. As Keynes said 'in the long run we are dead' and I think I'd rather just get my life settled down and buy a place, bite the bullet if you like, even of probably I get shaken out of the tree, accept it.

This is a fairly modest budget for Altrincham, I wish I had more money :D, but I've been keeping my eye on the 'b street' terraces in Hale, the Stamford Park area, the terraces to the east of Barrington Rd. I've lived on Byrom Street before and would be fairly happy to buy a terrace there (though not the really small ones closer to the Hale end). But there seems to be a paucity of supply on the market right now and I will be competing with the queue jumping 20-something h2b people especially in this price bracket, it is very annoying. There are some grotty looking terraces on the market, the good ones seem to go quick.

An alternative is to buy somewhere in Timperley which is acceptable I suppose, even though I feel more at home on the Hale side of Alty. There are loads of 3 bed semis there and I could get one for that money. A good victorian terrace give me a warm glow but I think it will be hard to find one. The very 'commodified' semis out in Timperley don't excite me very much but I can see some advantages. What I don't want is a grotty/odd ball terrace or one in the crapper parts of Alty (such as Navvy Road) which will be harder to sell eventually and/or be a money pit, but the Timperley semis will always be needed by families.

U r so fcked.

Will reply more when even more pissef.

TTFN.

HOLA4413

U r so fcked.

TTFN.

You're probably right; after saving hard for years I can barely afford room to swing a cat lol.

What scares the hell out of me is prices going up more and more over the next few years. I could be retired before the bears get proved right, and right now it is expensive to rent. The whole thing is messed up.

HOLA4414

Long time lurker in this thread, time to post something!

I was in your position just over a year ago (although not half as much savings). We used to live in Manchester City Centre but had had our fill of the city, wanted to move out to the suburbs for more space, house rather than a flat, garden etc. Budget of 250k max, which as you say is modest in the area!

We looked around some areas of Hale, the B streets and a couple near Stamford Park and one on Finchley Road. Some of the B streets were very small and we couldn't find anything with a garden of any sort within price range.

Started casting the net a bit further into Altrincham. Happy to find your 250k usually got you a garden and in some cases an extra bedroom than it would in Hale. Looked at one on Nav Road, quite nice house but wasn't so keen on the area. We hadn't really looked at Timperley yet, when our current house came on the market. Nice 3 bed Victorian terrace (one in basement), with decent sized rooms and a decent-enough sized garden, round the corner from Metro, 5 mins walk to Stamford Park. Viewed Saturday, made offer Monday, off the market Tuesday. There was apparently lots of interest but who knows if that was true!? Moved in in March, knocked through the living/dining room, now finished most of the decorating and couldn't be happier! :)

HOLA4415

As Keynes said 'in the long run we are dead' and I think I'd rather just get my life settled down and buy a place, bite the bullet if you like, even of probably I get shaken out of the tree, accept it.

Hi. I'd like to throw a famous quote back at you, about too little cash savings, or carrying too much debt, but I'm having a blank moment. The only one going around my head is my father's morbid one, but one I suspect is mostly true when it comes to it... "If you've got no money, you've got no friends."

I don't want to be too much at risk of being shaken out of a tree, from so high up. Wouldn't be able to get up again, and defenceless against people kicking me trying to buy my branch in the tree at a cheap price, and if the system stops being so generous with its SMI help.

Although I can't muster anything against your view-point, especially all the extraordinary intervention by the authorities to keep house prices high. Just that I suspect there is a lot of political/authority misdirection, and some intrigue with Carney recently withdrawing FLS for mortgages. Hopefully that will begin to improve supply next year, although it might be countered by them wanting more supply so they can do more HTB2 at high prices.

This is a fairly modest budget for Altrincham, I wish I had more money :D

Or that house prices were less expensive? Yes demand always there for family homes, but the value of such homes depending on what people are able and willing to pay. Currently they are able and willing to pay high prices, and as you suggest, doesn't seem to be anything obvious coming along to change that. Unless something external forces things, like US taper.

HOLA4416
We hadn't really looked at Timperley yet, when our current house came on the market. Nice 3 bed Victorian terrace (one in basement), with decent sized rooms and a decent-enough sized garden, round the corner from Metro, 5 mins walk to Stamford Park. Viewed Saturday, made offer Monday, off the market Tuesday. There was apparently lots of interest but who knows if that was true!? Moved in in March, knocked through the living/dining room, now finished most of the decorating and couldn't be happier! :)

Hi Nick, thanks for posting about how you approached the market, and how it eventually went for you buying your 3 bed house.

Sounds like it all went smoothly. Maybe there was a lot of interest, but the seller stuck to your offer as you put it in before others, and you were positioned to see it through.

Can't help but feel pleased for you - nice to hear someone very happy with their purchase/price-paid / what house offers them and location.

Good to hear you've almost finished updating the house it to your own tastes. Hope you and your family enjoy your home for many years to come.

HOLA4417

I was in your position just over a year ago (although not half as much savings). We used to live in Manchester City Centre but had had our fill of the city, wanted to move out to the suburbs for more space, house rather than a flat, garden etc. Budget of 250k max, which as you say is modest in the area!

We looked around some areas of Hale, the B streets and a couple near Stamford Park and one on Finchley Road. Some of the B streets were very small and we couldn't find anything with a garden of any sort within price range.

Started casting the net a bit further into Altrincham. Happy to find your 250k usually got you a garden and in some cases an extra bedroom than it would in Hale. Looked at one on Nav Road, quite nice house but wasn't so keen on the area. We hadn't really looked at Timperley yet, when our current house came on the market. Nice 3 bed Victorian terrace (one in basement), with decent sized rooms and a decent-enough sized garden, round the corner from Metro, 5 mins walk to Stamford Park. Viewed Saturday, made offer Monday, off the market Tuesday. There was apparently lots of interest but who knows if that was true!? Moved in in March, knocked through the living/dining room, now finished most of the decorating and couldn't be happier! :)

Yeah Navvy road isn't so good. Manchester road is a bit of a blight and anything directly off it seems to suffer. Stamford Park area is fine but let's be realistic these houses are two beds. It annoys me when the EE's list them as three beds because they have carpet down in the cellar and have painted it. ;)

Any scope for a lof conversion in your house? I really like them when done well.

HOLA4418

Just what you, me and every other **** is looking for and now prices have risen enough to bust the £250k barrier. Sounds like you're going to have to borrow more money or convince yourself that something else is what you were looking for all along.

Then you can get on with your life...

HOLA4419

I think you've time that right. Since the start of the year, the market has switched from moribund to people paying over asking price.

Does beg the question what is your next move going to be? Most of the affordable stuff, I can't see being viable long term and don't see how buying again for the short term makes any sense.

HOLA4420

Hi. I'd like to throw a famous quote back at you, about too little cash savings, or carrying too much debt, but I'm having a blank moment. The only one going around my head is my father's morbid one, but one I suspect is mostly true when it comes to it... "If you've got no money, you've got no friends."

Very true, especially around here.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I think you've time that right. Since the start of the year, the market has switched from moribund to people paying over asking price.

Does beg the question what is your next move going to be? Most of the affordable stuff, I can't see being viable long term and don't see how buying again for the short term makes any sense.

I'd suggest that's fairly typical of the early stages of a credit cycle.

U r so fcked.

TTFN.

You over-sold that one.

HOLA4423

You over-sold that one.

How so? The poster seems constrained by their deposit and if you believe we are at the start of another credit cycle, 10% QoQ rises are not untypical and the £250k budget is buying less and less. Unless the poster is a non-driving pygmy with a penchant for cats not kids, He/she is going to struggle.

Or fcked as I'd call it. A spade being a spade after all.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425