House Price Crash Forum

On The Radio: Buy Property And Shares Now!

HOLA441
HOLA442
What Recession ???

The Telegraph has revisited the High Street to take the economic temperature. We found that after years of healthy sales, today's shop-owners remain confident that they can weather the storm. But Richard Hyman, strategic retail adviser to the accounts Deloitte, believes they are living through a phoney war.

"This recession is not remotely like 1991-92 or 73-74. This is significantly worse because the British economy is very vulnerable. We have got much, much further to fall. There is much more pain to come."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/4939095/Re...-revisited.html

What is it with frikkin Reigate? There was some pillock on HPC yesterday claiming most households there earn >100k.

If anyone here is not familiar with the town let me assure you it is not a millionaires play ground. Its a shame the article above does not mention the grottty Morrisons squating like a sweaty toad behind the high street, the two or three closed or closing shops or the grotty chinese up the far end of the street. (though the Thai place "river kwai" is pretty good).

ST

HOLA443
What is it with frikkin Reigate? There was some pillock on HPC yesterday claiming most households there earn >100k.

If anyone here is not familiar with the town let me assure you it is not a millionaires play ground. Its a shame the article above does not mention the grottty Morrisons squating like a sweaty toad behind the high street, the two or three closed or closing shops or the grotty chinese up the far end of the street. (though the Thai place "river kwai" is pretty good).

ST

:lol::lol: that would be old Bilious Hairy. Apparently the place will hardly be effected because of this.

HOLA444

ST

Apols I thought there were two types of people in this world, those that live in Reigate and those that want to live in Reigate :lol::lol:

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
It has been discussed on here at length I know, but will the VI's use the fear of massive inflation to attempt to reinflate the housing bubble? :unsure:

I expect arguments like the one you highlighted to become more fashionable again in the coming months but just like the old "buy property cos your money's doing nothing in the bank" chestnut, this one is flawed imo as QE will either :

- not work: in which case the housing market finds its own level, which I'd expect to be significantly lower than now.

- achieve desired aim: in which case house prices may at best flatten out for some time because all the QE steps would do is counterbalance significant deflation. But with other pressures, ie the crippled banks, the spectre of what we've just been through, etc etc, I'd still see house price deflation in this scenario, just not as steep.

- work "too well" leading to inflation: in which case house prices are just as likely to fall as rise, as rapidly increasing interest rates cause a lot of repos etc in an economy that is not genuinely in recovery....

In the worst case I spose hyperinflation is possible, and in that scenario buying a house is an irrelevance!

I'm sure that the supposed experts and VIs will wheel out this argument when it suits them but I can't see it catching on anyway it's a bit too complex for the average buyer,most of whom will buy when they feel that prices are more stable, their jobs are stable, and the monthly repayment looks ok.

HOLA448
I'm sure that the supposed experts and VIs will wheel out this argument when it suits them but I can't see it catching on anyway it's a bit too complex for the average buyer,most of whom will buy when they feel that prices are more stable, their jobs are stable, and the monthly repayment looks ok.

That's the key to it for me.

For all of this clever economy-talk (that I don't always understand), I think it still comes down to whether the people in the position to buy feel comfortable in making a house purchase at this time. I think most people are prepared to wait a while yet.

HOLA449
Just heard a panicky commentator on local radio (Wessex FM are renowned for their incisive economic coverage ;) ) suggesting that with the presses starting to roll, now is the time to get into assets that rise with inflation such as shares and property!!!!

It has been discussed on here at length I know, but will the VI's use the fear of massive inflation to attempt to reinflate the housing bubble? :unsure:

I think there will be plenty more of this kind of ramping in the coming months. I wonder if they will mention the double didget interest rates that usually accompany high inflation. I doubt it :angry:

edited to ask for help...how do you spell didgit??? Still looks wrong!!!

IM SURE THAT BY THE TIME THE QE GETS TO LIFT THE HOUSE PRICE IT WDVE ALREADY SKY HIGHED GROCERIES AND FUEL . Z I M B A B W E

HOLA4410