House Price Crash Forum

Times Property Experts...

Rosepetal

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/money/pro...icle5779248.ece

Particularly disappointing from Savills.

"People are saying we are close enough to the bottom, if we take a 10-year view on house prices. "

WTF does that mean? Prices now will not be below those in 10 years time?

Ray twunt from Charcol saying overseas buyers getting a 25% discount - well that rather depends on their nationality, and if they wanta house inthe UK, then £ cost of living is relevant to them! That bloke always strikes me a a total bell end

They might as well have asked some golfers, or a random selection of beauticians

None of them have a fecking clue.

HOLA444

These kind of articles are always quite annoying, but I guess many people (not HPC regulars) may find them comforting.

Finnuala is quality as always "affordability is improving more rapidly than in the 1990s, which could precipitate an earlier than forecast recovery."

Wow! Maybe it's all those huge pay rises making houses more affordable? Or, possibly it is the FALLING PRICES?

Better get in soon in case there is a sharp upturn, I wouldn't want to waste another 7 years waiting for a credit-fueled asset bubble to burst in order to buy a house to live in without struggling under a crushing debt.

the RICS is surprisingly on the side of the VIs. Still, I guess they make their money on houses being bought and sold. Even so, there are professional qualifications one needs in order to be a surveyor, aren't there? Not like an estate agent where any trained monkey can use their GCSE pottery qualification... :P

QB

HOLA445

The Times' property articles have always been surreal and detached. There's another prime example tomorrow

First steps into the property market

What’s on offer at the lower end of the market?

Nottingham: £165,000

A two-bed ground-floor flat with its own private entrance, an open-plan reception room with original features including sash windows, two bathrooms and a garden.

North Yorks: £140,000

Ten miles from the centre of York, this two-bed semi has one reception room, a kitchen, a bathroom and a garden. It was on sale for £170,000 in May 2007.

WHAT THE F*CK!!!! Lower end of the market like f*ck with prices like that!!!!

Edited by Turnbull2000

HOLA446
None of them have a fecking clue.

Exactly, I can't believe they have the nerve to show their faces in public, let alone class themselves as "experts", they should all be forced, by law, to state "I have been completely incorrect in ALL of my previous predictions regarding property prices, you should under no circumstances take anything I say seriously." before and after every public statement. :)

HOLA447
HOLA448
The Times' property articles have always been surreal and detached. There's another prime example tomorrow

WHAT THE F*CK!!!! Lower end of the market like f*ck with prices like that!!!!

Yeh it's a pretty funny read with people making "confident" forecasts, but even worse than that I now know the difference between bull and bear.... noooooooooooooo

stupid names

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

More out-of-touch shite from the Times, with a first-time-buyer focused article

http://property.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life...icle5778739.ece

In December, they took full advantage of the depressed market conditions and bought a two-bedroom flat in Wandsworth for £385,000.

“We felt we’d never be able to afford anything of our own,” said Cleak, 28, a PR director for the fashion company my-wardrobe.com. Then, all of a sudden, house prices began to fall, sellers became desperate and things started to look promising. “We knew we were in a better situation in the market than ever before,” she says.

Edited by Turnbull2000

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

No point getting worked up on this. The economy will drive prices and the economy is going DOWN rapidly. So therefore will overpriced houses, its that simple. Until people earn more and feel secure there will be no confidence and house prices will not begin to recover. Even when these factors eventually arise, there will not be the irresponsible lending of previous, period. Securitization has been majorly negatively impacted meaning less money in the system for mortgages. And that won't change ever. Who on earth would buy mortage backed assets again for sub prime? Nobody is that foolish. Well not for the next seven years at least (that's the proven memory of investors apparently).

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

My-Wardrobe.com currently sells women's designer goods, only previously offering men's accessories such as sunglasses and scarves.

Phil Teer, planning partner at St Luke's, said: "My-Wardrobe.com is an exciting brand with massive ambition and lots to say for itself.

"It's a pleasure to be working with them as we expand our digital and content capability."

FFS, a designer clothes on line retailer: they really must be selling bundles and bundles of clothes to pay a PR man £120K

There is no sub-prime in the UK.

Id never heard of them, but they got into FHM, so its the monied 20 somethings they are after.

HOLA4419
No point getting worked up on this. The economy will drive prices and the economy is going DOWN rapidly. So therefore will overpriced houses, its that simple.

It's not the first time this has happened, all just part of the process..

The Times

TUE 03 JAN 1989

Agents optimistic about house prices

A leading national firm of estate agents believes a collapse in the property

market in 1989 is highly unlikely. Strutt and Parker has completed a review of

1988 trends,

The Sunday Times

SUN 05 NOV 1989

House prices may rise next spring

BRITAIN'S depressed housing market could pick up much sooner than expected,

according to a forecast to be published this week. The Morgan Grenfell bank

believes the housing market has reached a point where recovery is in sight.

The Times

THU 09 NOV 1989

House prices `to rise'

Property prices in London, the south-east and East Anglia will recover next year

and begin to increase by about 10 per cent a year, according to Morgan Grenfell,

the merchant bankers, in a report on the housing market published yesterday.

THU 12 JUL 1990

House prices recover

SIGNS of a recovery in the housing market for the first time since the boom

ended in the summer of 1988, are charted by the Halifax Building Society in its

latest house-price survey published yesterday.

The Sunday Times

SUN 18 NOV 1990

House prices set to take off in spring

THE worst slump in Britain's housing market for more than a decade will end next

spring, an authoritative report will forecast this week. Prices will rise by an

average of 20% within two years,

The Times

WED 13 MAR 1991

House prices predicted to rise 66% over five years

HOUSE prices in the UK are predicted to rise by an average of 66 per cent over

the next five years as the housing market recovers from the slump through

falling inflation and interest rates

The Times

FRI 24 MAY 1991

Bank set to act on house prices

THE Governor of the Bank of England warned the Building Societies Association

conference in Glasgow that a resurgence of house price inflation would be firmly

countered by the authorities.

My how things have changed.

The Times

THU 19 DEC 1991

Record repossessions are keeping down house prices

The property market is being held back as repossessed houses are resold in some

areas at up to 30 per cent below their true value. Ray Clancy reports

REPOSSESSIONS are having a significant impact on the housing market, keeping

prices low

Etc etc.. plenty more where those came from*

The real bottom was of cause in about 95/96 (inflation adjusted).

* I can't take credit, these headlines were originally posted over a year ago by another poster.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Cleak, who moved in last week, is still surprised at how easy it all was. “I thought it would be much more stressful, but we were only looking for three weeks,” she says. “It’s something we’ve wanted to do for a while. With renting, we felt the money was virtually going down the drain every month. We wanted to invest it instead.”

//

She managed to get a further £17,000 knocked off the asking price, finally paying £158,000. “It made sense to buy now that prices have come down quite a lot,” she says. “I’ve bought it as a long-term investment to live in and then sell on for a higher price, hopefully.”

Shouldn't be too long, as prices continue to crash, until we get a load more sympathisers here for these new FTBs. Blaming everyone but the individual who borrowed the money.

HOLA4422

How to speak VI (With apologies to anyone who learned French in a Scottish school in the 70s)

Ecoutez et repetez. Beep!

Anglais: We can still shake a few greater fools out of this market.

VI: the recovery, when it comes, could be sharper and swifter than people expect.

Anglais: House prices are tanking much faster this time.

VI: affordability is improving more rapidly than in the 1990s.

Anglais: The BoE has slashed interest rates in blind panic.

VI: Mortgage payments as a proportion of take-home pay have fallen 9.4% in the past year, compared with 7.4% over the same period in the 1990s.

Anglais: Buyers who bought at the peak have been rogered royally up the poop chute.

VI: Buyers who bought at the peak in November 2007 may have to wait several more years for property values to get back to where they were — even with a sharp rebound.

HOLA4423
Earley: The mortgage market has a part to play, but as house prices fall and affordability improves, deposits become less of a hurdle making it easier for first-time buyers to buy.

First-time buyers need to save 15% of the average house price, or about £18,000. When prices peaked, they were raising half that — but the arithmetic will continue to get better as mortgage rates, as well as criteria come down. Also, the cost of keeping a mortgage has fallen sharply owing to lower interest rates — this could help to lessen the effect of the slump.

Is this right?

Nationwide average price is now £120k?

Wow, prices have dropped more than I thought!

HOLA4424
Is this right?

Nationwide average price is now £120k?

Wow, prices have dropped more than I thought!

Bad form answering my own posts but ...

According to the January Nationwide index the average price is

£153,048.00

Finolalalalalal (sic) says they are £120k, is this their (her) expectations for the bottom of the market?

That would mean a 35% fall from peak of Oct '07 (186,044.00).

HOLA4425

This is where are you engineering PhD types went wrong: If you'd just studied for a proper degree at a proper university like a BA in Marketing at Southampton Solent: then you too would be in a position to buy a flat in wandsworth!