House Price Crash Forum

Times Front Cover Doom

Sledgehead

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Just another snippet that will make the BTL barmy-army tremble in their boots. It is being served up on a daily basis. It's all self-fulfilling when it is in the papers every day. You can fool all of the people for some of the time etc, etc..

People are starting to realise that house prices are simply too high.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

:lol::lol::lol: you might wonder why i'm laughing ? SLEDGE has changed his original wording of this post to make it sound more ominous and threat full .(like WHHHHHOOOOAAAAA now i'm really scared) we just want you to report the news please, there really is no need to hype it up, you're just as bad as the mail :lol::lol::lol:

one other thing SLEDGE i'd love to know what your motives were for wanting a crash?(which you obviously do, otherwise you wouldnt have gone out of your way to 're-sensationalise' your wording) i'm sure you really fancy yourself as a landlord? whats up the SM not paying well these days?

HOLA447
People are starting to realise that house prices are simply too high.

I love the above. It reminds me of Ricky Gervais talking about a man who weighs 50 stone and is worried about being overweight. Gervais commented "..at what point did he think he was fat!?"

"Oh, I'm only 30 stone - that's okay then!" :D

I cannot believe that The Times writer here was prepared 500K for a house which the owner admitted he had bought for 180K just 18 months earlier. From today's Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1278530,00.html

HOLA448
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  you might wonder why i'm laughing ? SLEDGE has changed his original wording of this post to make it sound more ominous and threat full .(like WHHHHHOOOOAAAAA now i'm really scared) we just want you to report the news please, there really is no need to hype it up, you're just as bad as the mail  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

one other thing SLEDGE i'd love to know what your motives were for wanting a crash?(which you obviously do, otherwise you wouldnt have gone out of your way to 're-sensationalise' your wording) i'm sure you really fancy yourself as a landlord? whats up the SM not paying well these days?

What's wrong with wanting to be a landlord? I wouldn't mind but at the moment I am barred from the market by lunatics who are prepared to lose their wedge.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

'In three weeks, value fell £15,000'

By Anna Jamieson

SIX months ago, dreams of a small farm with enough acres to run, a few sheep and a tractor looked within our grasp. After a weekend’s house-hunting in Leicestershire, my boyfriend and I happened upon a charming Georgian-style house, a stone’s throw from the Brecon Beacons in Mid-Wales. With daffodils lining the drive and the sun glinting on the hills, it was perfect.

The £500,000 asking price was well beyond our means, but the vendor was not prepared to budge. But he let it be known that he had bought the property for £180,000 less than 18 months earlier.

Within two months, my three-bedroomed house in Brixton, South London, had been sold to a neighbour. She paid far less than the asking price, but I agreed for the sake of a quick sale without agency fees. Within days, Mervyn King, the Governor of the Bank of England, said that “the chances of falls in house prices are greater than they wereâ€. After steep gains in recent months, he said that prices were “now at levels which are well above what most people would regard as sustainable in the longer termâ€.

Days later, my neighbour told me the sale was off. It was too risky, she said. I returned to the estate agent, Hamptons, to put my house on the market. The value had dropped by £15,000 in three weeks and up to £25,000 at other agents. The few offers I received come to nought.

In Wales, our vendor now felt that in spite of the hefty profit he would make, he had undersold. He said he wanted another £100,000 on top of our earlier offer. That was on Thursday, the day that the International Monetary Fund gave warning of an imminent housing market crash. This time we pulled out.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Both Hometrack and Ernst & Young backed the Bank’s view that the likeliest result is a long period of stagnant or slightly falling prices rather than a crash. “We see the market bumping along a new plateau. We see no evidence pointing to a housing crash,†Mr Wriglesworth said.

http://www.debtadvicebureau.org.uk/news/03...ices-jump.shtml

According to Hometrack’s economist John Wrigglesworth, "The housing market is heading for new heights. There is no doubt that the year is finishing with new house price highs".

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

On housepricechat there is a nice history of press coverage of the property market from 1988-1996, mainly from The Times and Sunday Times.

http://www.angeltowns.com/members/housepri...t_articles.html

A few selected headlines from 1998....

The Times

SAT 05 MAR 1988

House prices increase by 16.9 percent

The Times

SAT 24 SEP 1988

Jitters on house prices;Fall on the way, say the experts

The Times

SAT 05 NOV 1988

House prices crumble

HOLA4419