House Price Crash Forum

Massive Ramping In Edinburgh Evening News

meltsheep

HOLA441

The rag is ramping like crazy with a 2/3 page editorial by the ESPC and another 1/2 page on page 5 full of hope from the likes or Mr Rettie and a mortgage broker. Its extraordinary they these people get so much free coverage for their businesses.

The ESPC editorial (author Ron Smith) has a picture that sqawks about prices being almost £12,000 down from £139,052 for a 1 bed! Wow. Let all rush out an buy a shit hole for a bargain and take on a hefty mortgage.

HOLA442
The rag is ramping like crazy with a 2/3 page editorial by the ESPC and another 1/2 page on page 5 full of hope from the likes or Mr Rettie and a mortgage broker. Its extraordinary they these people get so much free coverage for their businesses.

The ESPC editorial (author Ron Smith) has a picture that sqawks about prices being almost £12,000 down from £139,052 for a 1 bed! Wow. Let all rush out an buy a shit hole for a bargain and take on a hefty mortgage.

HEre:

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstori...4618.jp#3732492

HOLA443
Guest An Bearin Bui
"It's a good time for buyers if they have a deposit, preferably 15 per cent or more.

"With 25 per cent and up there are very good fixed rates deals available. Fixed rates can also give peace of mind if you take a three or five year deal in case the rates start going back up again.

Yes. Let's not mention that to buy in Edinburgh with a 15% deposit, you would need about 32k in cash (if we assume the average price is around 210k, down from about 225k last year). Even then, you won't get access to the reduced interest rates. I've looked on the banks' mortgage calculators and even with a 20% deposit, the rate is 5.99%, maybe a bit lower with some of the dodgier lenders.

If you want to access lower interest rate deals, you'll need a minimum of 25%, which in Edinburgh would be about 52k. Most people with this kind of money will be people trading up who'll require their own property to sell before they can buy. So, apart from a lucky few who make a sale, that leaves it up to FTBs with 30-50k in the bank and a secure job. Personally, I don't know many people in this position (except myself, har, har, and I'd rather wait at least another year and add more to my stash of cash).

HOLA444

It turns out that there was a reason for all that: Thumbs up for News' reasons to be cheerful.

NO news is good news, as the saying goes.

But for one day, people across the city enjoyed reading an entire paper filled only with positive stories.

From the cut in mortgage interest rates to the cystic fibrosis sufferer who has been given new lungs, yesterday's Evening News focused on the reasons to be cheerful, despite the economic gloom.

[blah blah blah...]

Just for a bit of balance they should invite us in to produce an issue. Six pages of editorial by ccc would get us off to a good start.

Edited by Scunnered

HOLA445
Guest An Bearin Bui
Just for a bit of balance they should invite us in to produce an issue. Six pages of editorial by ccc would get us off to a good start.

Then sit back and relax as the whole of Edinburgh is put on suicide watch... :lol:

It's funny how people think that a few 'happy' 'positive' stories are all that's needed to lift their mood. Reality is reality - it's really not clear to me why lying should make it all better.

HOLA446
It turns out that there was a reason for all that: Thumbs up for News' reasons to be cheerful.

I actually have offered !! I know people who know people in that business... ;)

I won't hold my breath though. Get the feeling our views on things are not in line with EN thinking.

Anyway this got me thinking. I know - dangerous.

(1) A paper that, for money, writes stories for years encouraging people to buy things they can't afford = Public interest and 'positive thinking', even if the situation they encourage leads to the breakdown of the entire financial system.

(2) Individuals who warn about this situation in their own time, free of charge = Terrorists.

Maybe a year ago I would have felt angry about this sort of thing. Today I just feel pity.

HOLA447

Hi i am new on here and just catching up with your thread now, id like to say that these people who make these ridiculous comments about " good time to buy " get there wages paid by means of people buying property ( what else are they going to say other than talk the market up).

The truth is it is not a good time to buy, unless you can get a minimum 50% discount on 2007 prices. and a 95% loan for first time buyers would also help.

Until that happens it is not a good time to buy.

HOLA448
HOLA449
Well, what would do you expect? These estate agent leeches have sucked the dimwitted population dry over the past decade, and are now starving. Should they put out adverts saying 'We give up' instead?

Correct but the press they get is just out of order, the next thing we will have these Remax lot making crazy statements, these Remax lot have got to be at the bottom of the Estate Agent food chain.

Can you imagine having to PAY TO GO TO WORK ? to wear the badge and hire a desk, honestly you just could not make it up.

How can they possibly survive ? there is hardly a carrot selling, yet there they are paying to go to work, is it just me or does anyone else think that these people are insane ?

HOLA4410

Right then,

I've had enough of those who are supposed to be providing the public with facts, irresponsible misleading us on the housing market (and the rest). Every time i see a property ramp now i'm going to (and i hope you all will too) lodge a formal complaint with the press complaints comission (www.pcc.org.uk) under sections 1 and 2 of their code of practice. these relate to; Misleadingness and accuracy of information and data and ;Being able to respond to inaccurate data (how many of us have had posts taken off of news sites because they don't tow the party line?).

Check out www.pcc.org.uk and get complaining now!!

Who's joining me?

HOLA4411
Right then,

I've had enough of those who are supposed to be providing the public with facts, irresponsible misleading us on the housing market (and the rest). Every time i see a property ramp now i'm going to (and i hope you all will too) lodge a formal complaint with the press complaints comission (www.pcc.org.uk) under sections 1 and 2 of their code of practice. these relate to; Misleadingness and accuracy of information and data and ;Being able to respond to inaccurate data (how many of us have had posts taken off of news sites because they don't tow the party line?).

Who's joining me?

:rolleyes:

And will you object when people do the same to all the crash ramping?

HOLA4412
Right then,

Who's joining me?

Guys, good to see some new complaining blood!! I complained to trading standards about the ESPC and got them to change their home page so I have now retired 1-0 up!! Then again the ESPC seem to be coming on board slowly, a very reasonable person was commenting on these very pages. I don't think we have cracked the EN and Scotsman yet though, then again maybe Johnston Press will do us a favour and just go bust!

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
:rolleyes:

And will you object when people do the same to all the crash ramping?

If it's based on fact i wouldn't care! What i disagree with is the usual nonsense of quoting EAs etc who are not exactly going to give a fair picture of the state of affairs (which i think if you look is what journalists are getting paid for!!)

HOLA4415
Correct but the press they get is just out of order, the next thing we will have these Remax lot making crazy statements, these Remax lot have got to be at the bottom of the Estate Agent food chain.

Can you imagine having to PAY TO GO TO WORK ? to wear the badge and hire a desk, honestly you just could not make it up.

How can they possibly survive ? there is hardly a carrot selling, yet there they are paying to go to work, is it just me or does anyone else think that these people are insane ?

If they haven't made any statements yet, then what's the problem?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Press Complaints Commission:

http://www.pcc.org.uk/complaints/process.html

Surely that article can be classed as "misleading" clause 1

I would also question it aganst clause 13 "financial journalism". It's a totally one sided article by people with a vested financial interest in what they are quoted as saying.

Does anyone beleive this story ? i have not met anyone from abroad out there buying any properties, and its my job to know this, could it be a porky pie to ramp up the market.http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/edinburgh/Falling-pound-opens-door-for.4957953.jp

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
:lol: Which VI's are making a habit of crash ramping then.

Idiot.

There was one just last week, from the English lecturer at the Uni that also posts on here.

Who then admitted on here his vested interest in seeing house prices crash further, presumably because he somehow managed to get this far in life whilst completely forgetting to buy a house and just realised that if he buys one now his mortgage will run into his retirement. :rolleyes:

Idiot.

Edited by HAMISH_MCTAVISH

HOLA4420
There was one just last week, from the English lecturer at the Uni that also posts on here.

Who then admitted on here his vested interest in seeing house prices crash further, presumably because he somehow managed to get this far in life whilst completely forgetting to buy a house and just realised that if he buys one now his mortgage will run into his retirement. :rolleyes:

Idiot.

Honestly Hamish you do yourself no favours sometimes.. :rolleyes:

A crash is very unlikey to happen without a boom.

A boom can easily happen without a crash.

In reality everyone who is ramping prices up is utimately ramping them down at the same time. They just don't realise it yet.

HOLA4421
Honestly Hamish you do yourself no favours sometimes.. :rolleyes:

A crash is very unlikey to happen without a boom.

A boom can easily happen without a crash.

In reality everyone who is ramping prices up is utimately ramping them down at the same time. They just don't realise it yet.

This could cause a house price bubble again and is of concern.http://www.propertyweek.com/story.asp?storycode=3134060&origin=PWdailynews

HOLA4422
This could cause a house price bubble again and is of concern.http://www.propertyweek.com/story.asp?storycode=3134060&origin=PWdailynews

Are you having a laugh ?

This guy is the former Chariman of Barrets and the current chariman of the 'New homes MARKETING board'

He has called for "a series of measures, some of which have already been adopted, to help first-time buyers, including speeding up the sale of redundant government land, fast-tracking of planning applications for affordable housing, scrapping stamp duty for first-time buyers, and more shared equity and subsidy schemes."

A quote from Gordon Brown would have been as much use. :lol:

HOLA4423

Idiot.

I see. A single lecturer vs the might of the Property Media Machine (EA's/Mortgage Lenders/Banks/Rics/Solicitors/Hack Journalists/Property Shows).

Yeah well done mate.

Total ******ing wombat. :lol:

HOLA4424
I see. A single lecturer vs the might of the Property Media Machine (EA's/Mortgage Lenders/Banks/Rics/Solicitors/Hack Journalists/Property Shows).

Yeah well done mate.

Total ******ing wombat. :lol:

There is an important distinction to be made here before thinking about contacting the PCC about any newspaper piece, and that is the difference between reporting and opinion pieces. The latter are clearly framed as 'interested' argumets that are intended to provoke debate and response, and should not be judged by the same criteria as reportage.

It's difficult to see from the EN website whether the article that inspired this discussion was 'news' or the equivalent of The Scotsman's 'Soap Box' column, but if it was the latter then any letter to the PCC will probably be a waste of ink.

This is not, of course, to say that it was anything other than deluded rubbish, but in most contexts delusion is not a crime.

And, as Hamish has committed no crime (at least to my knowledge), I'll refrain from responding to his slightly misguided reading of my piece in the message above...

HOLA4425
And, as Hamish has committed no crime (at least to my knowledge), I'll refrain from responding to his slightly misguided reading of my piece in the message above...

Aye, just as you refrained from responding to my in-depth critique as to the accuracy of your piece in the previous thread as well..... :rolleyes:

Be delighted to continue that debate by the way, any time you're ready. ;)

Edited by HAMISH_MCTAVISH