House Price Crash Forum

It's Gone Sour - Lemons Up From 19p To 23p

0q0

HOLA441
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
It doesn't matter as the essentials (iPods, SatNav systems, DVD players) are getting cheaper all the time. Don't worry about food; worry about what you really need.

I think that should be "It doesn't matter as the essentials (houses) are getting cheaper all the time."

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
I've been out today doing some shopping.

Busiest supermarket by far : Asda

And guess what, yes the lemons are just 23p there.

Still a rise on the 19p of a month ago, but compared to other supermarkets it seems this is the best deal.

However, at a market I saw a bag of 8 or so small-ish lemons for £1.

That concludes this lemon update. Goodnight.

Tesco value lemons 500g 60p. The picture on Tesco.com has at least 9 lemons in the net.

Sainsbury's basics lemons 4 for 60p.

HOLA447
Surely they are the yellow things cgnao is always on about?

How I wish :( ..... as they are falling off our trees, we'd be somewhat richer.

Special offer to HPC members ........ 15cents each

HOLA448
Tesco value lemons 500g 60p. The picture on Tesco.com has at least 9 lemons in the net.

Sainsbury's basics lemons 4 for 60p.

Sounds too good to be true at Tesco, even Lidl is just 4 lemons for 99p.

At some markets, you get about 10 for £1.50 however - not seen them for a month though.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
I just paid 50p for a bleedin' ORANGE!

So you wont want to know that a neighbour came around with a sackful last week & asked me why I wasn't helping myself to them :ph34r:

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Lidl isn't as cheap any more, I noticed as soon as I walked in and looked at the prices on the shelves.

Only since reading this thread I checked the price of the parmesan I bought in Lidl last week. I'm sure it used to be half the price of Tesco's, now it's the same price.

Went to M&S and a net of 2 small (organic I think) garlic was about £1.

So I went to the market a few yards away and got a net of 3 fat bulbs for 60p. Good quality too.

Much more shopping for fruit & veg in markets for me now.

HOLA4413
What on earth are basic lemons? Supermarket speak.

Sainsbury's cheapest no-frills range is called 'basics'

I would not expect basic lemons to be unwaxed or organic.

Tesco's range is called 'value'

They are in fairly plain packaging compared to other products.

Quality varies. Some 'basics' and 'value' stuff is awfull, some you can't tell the difference, some is actually better taste and quality than top brand names.

Mse forum has some good threads on what & what not to buy in a number of supermarkets including Aldi, Lidl and Costco.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest barebear

I wonder if it will ever get to the state when supermarkets will have to give TV's away for a pound to keep inflation at 2.5%.

The people in Brighton will now know why there football club wasn't allowed to build on a site but Sainsbury's was now. Coz the plan then was that supermarkets would become complicit in the art of inflation deception.

• 1 year later...
HOLA4417

Orange juice up from 57p a litre to 88p a litre in past 12 months.

Milk up from 32p to 40p a pint "

Lemons up from 19p to 23p each "

Fuel up what is it 10-12% "

But of course, who needs orange juice, milk or lemons? They're really niche items.

What we all need is running shoes every week. So don't worry, you can buy a pair of sweatshop-made trainers for £4.99

<i>Inflation - a problem of the past of course.</i>

Lemons only 25p in Sainsbury's at the minute... but then they are in season.

edited to add: 31p each for the posh unwaxed ones.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

<!--quoteo(post=873882:date=Dec 3 2007, 02:58 PM:name=fluffy666)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fluffy666 @ Dec 3 2007, 02:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=873882"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've noticed eggs up around 50% (£1.80->£2.80 ish for 12)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You need to shop elsewhere!

How's the new house?

HOLA4420

Theres a massive surplus of fruit this year here in France and farmers have so much fruit that they dont know what to do with it prices are coming down (we also had an excellant summer which explains the surplus)

With so much fruit on the market the Uk prices should not be going up its the same with milk a few weeks ago farmers were emptying thousands of liters of milk into fields as they dont know what to do with it but there was a problem with milk quotas

HOLA4421

Lemons only 25p in Sainsbury's at the minute... but then they are in season.

edited to add: 31p each for the posh unwaxed ones.

Each
It's such a quaint UK thing

I rarely buy fruit & veg, (& when I do it's by the kilo). If I don't have it, my neighbours will..........

I'll just sit back & await my lemons being a new way of measuring UK property values.

Unlike UK property, lemons will soon be linked to the new gold standard.

My worry is that I may inadvertently discriminate against the property bulls & trolls in their decades of need :rolleyes:

HOLA4422

Ahh that thread killing knack.

I shall be running expensive courses on it over the winter with guaranteed results.

Payment will be in PMs of course, or PM backed paper

• 11 months later...
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

In our co-op today, lemons were 40p EACH!!!!

Last winter there were peaches in Sainsbury for 79p each :blink:

They weren't exactly flying off the shelf.

Personal view is that food is still pretty cheap - £2.89 for a dozen free range eggs seems a lot only because

1. they were £1.99 not long ago

2. capitalist b*stards are cutting our frickin' pay.

Its much better to get inflation busting payrises on top of a good salary than shop around for frickin' bananas.

Isn't it?

Archived