House Price Crash Forum

Longbenton, Buying An Investment Property

nina12

HOLA441

Hi, im new to the forum and im interested in buying a house as an investment. My friend has recommended Longbenton in Newcastle but i think its quite a dodgy area. I was there the other morning at 11am and there was a drunk couple having a physical fight on the street!! So, my question is what kind of people would be interested in renting a house in this area and would this be a good investment. Any input would be gratefully received.

HOLA442

Hi, im new to the forum and im interested in buying a house as an investment. My friend has recommended Longbenton in Newcastle but i think its quite a dodgy area. I was there the other morning at 11am and there was a drunk couple having a physical fight on the street!! So, my question is what kind of people would be interested in renting a house in this area and would this be a good investment. Any input would be gratefully received.

I'll rent it from you...800 quid a month, local authority will pay.

You'll be paying a massive mortgage and huge tax just to give me a s**t place to live.

Thanks.

HOLA443

I'll offer you a slightly less negative marginal return if you let me grow marijuana in there - antoehr £50 per month on top of my housing allowance if you keep shtum

(go for it by the way, property - especially in run down inner cities - only ever goes up as they'll all be knightsbridge in 3 years time)

HOLA444

I'll offer you a slightly less negative marginal return if you let me grow marijuana in there - antoehr £50 per month on top of my housing allowance if you keep shtum

(go for it by the way, property - especially in run down inner cities - only ever goes up as they'll all be knightsbridge in 3 years time)

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

This is normal even in the better parts of Newcastle.

The NE is highly dependant on public spending. This is why it 'enjoyed' a house price boom which did not match its economy fundamentals. It is more likely than many nothern regions to suffer falls in property prices in the coming financial storm. I would not buy anywhere at present, but the NE would be lower on my list than anywhere except Northern Ireland.

HOLA448

I was there the other morning at 11am and there was a drunk couple having a physical fight on the street!! So, my question is what kind of people would be interested in renting a house in this area....

Errr the kind of people who enjoy a can of tenants silly for breakfast then popping out into the street for a barney on their way to spend their your rent cheque on more pish.

HOLA449

I wondered if this was a wind-up!

You're likely to get a bit of grief for such a suggestion. Longbenton is a home to HMRC and DWP, both of which are likely to force employment cuts over the next year or two. So, it depends on how you look at it. You may get a supply of people who have been unfortunately turfed out of their house after losing a job. You could say that an increase of BTL in the area will force the price up for people who have already not got too much. However, you may get lucky, and find someone who works for the Gregg's factory there.

Either way, I smell a rat or I smell a pastie.

I guess it depends on your sense of ethics.

HOLA4410

^^Yes this was a serious post and i was a bit surprised by the tone of some of the responses. My friend who suggested Longbenton basically told me that Fenham and Heaton had already been done, i.e run down houses and flats had been refurbed and rented out to low income or dss people and if i wanted to buy cheaply he thought Longbenton was the next best place. As i said before i dont like the area and couldnt imagine who would want to live there and now my question has been well and truely answered so i will cross it off my list!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

^^Yes this was a serious post and i was a bit surprised by the tone of some of the responses.

No offence meant pet, but 5 mins browsing this site would have shown the general view towards BTL, if we were wanting to be real swines we could have recomended Longbenton!

Most of Newcastle is rough, with the odd nice bit.

HOLA4416

Wow if this is what passes for a help and information forum in Newcastle then you lot deserve the financial ass f**cking that's on its way, bend over b*tches!!

A really fair point. This site's tone is generally sat somewhere between that of doom-mongers and the bitter. However! There are some genuinely worthwhile opinions on this board if you can see past the sarcasm. In fact, if you can interpret the sarcasm impartially, I'm of the opinion that there's some really good info on here.

I don't agree with the proliferation of BTL, but all the best with your future endeavours.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I'm not too sure what your criteria have to do with an investment property. Unless you are going to live there, and you personally have a problem with these issues, then this shouldn't come in to your thinking.

HOLA4422

I'm not too sure what your criteria have to do with an investment property. Unless you are going to live there, and you personally have a problem with these issues, then this shouldn't come in to your thinking.

Clearly there hasn't been any thinking, just a post to the good people of HPC to ask where to sign up to get rich from property just like the folk off the telly.

Some rough numbers....

A 2 bed flat in Longbenton will set you back £70k

If you can get a couple of doleys in there the LHA will pay about £460 / month

Assuming you have the £70k to 'invest' that's going to make you a gross yield of 7.8%

Of course we all know that a realistic price for a 2 bed flat in Longbenton is closer to £35k, at which point it would make sense.

HOLA4423