House Price Crash Forum

Woolies Are Dead

HOLA441
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I agree. I went in Woolies in my home town of Kingston the other day [to buy batteries!] and its just rubbish. Confused layout, difficult to identify exactly what Woolies is trying to be or sell and who its trying to appeal to. For each item Woolworths sells, there is at least one other shop in Kingston that sells a better range in a better environment (and possibly cheaper too but i dont know).

Im not convinced Woolworths is especially a victim of the recession, more just a victim of the times and what people want out of a store nowadays.

But yes, the pic and mix was great when i was younger......!

KINGSTON Woolworths is huge :o

Thanks to the OP for the heads up. Told a work colleague and he shot off down local Teddington Woolies and he picked up a digital camera he wanted for £30........ Was £85 a couple of weeks ago.

He asked the girl if all electronic items were hugely discounted and she hinted that some were but more were heading for huge discounts. Most of the good stuff is being kept back in the staff room for staff sales. She said that if people asked they were also able to discount by another 10%.

I might take my spanners and rachett set to unscrew the Pic-a-mix shelves from the wall on my next visit.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
I just posted in a different thread earlier, that on saturday I bought a computer game for a present and at the till it came up 10% cheaper, the assistant said they were having a sale, but there were no sale signs up or anything. I thought it was a bit odd at the time, but this explains it now.

Thing is due to the power of the internet word gets round quick, so ironically they could have a very busy xmas,just not a profitable one.

HOLA446

I popped down to Woollies an hour ago (on the basis of this thread) and it was like a fire sale... a member of staff gave me one of the 20% off everything staff vouchers (valid until 27-12) and I did a bit of a sweep. Lots of things 50% and even 75% off. Lots of high value goods (computers, tvs etc) no longer in stock. Anyway - I've sorted out lots of kids Xmas holiday craft activites, stocking fillers, kids games and the odd present. Sorry to see them go though.

HOLA447
I popped down to Woollies an hour ago (on the basis of this thread) and it was like a fire sale... a member of staff gave me one of the 20% off everything staff vouchers (valid until 27-12) and I did a bit of a sweep. Lots of things 50% and even 75% off. Lots of high value goods (computers, tvs etc) no longer in stock. Anyway - I've sorted out lots of kids Xmas holiday craft activites, stocking fillers, kids games and the odd present. Sorry to see them go though.

Good stuff. I sent my wife down 2 hours ago and I`m concerned as she has not reported back yet :lol:

HOLA448
HOLA449
The only way an inefficient retailing business can survive is if the rents stay low. All of those 'extra people' were getting wages and spending money, now they aren't. In our ever maddening drive for efficiency we now find that we're the cat that has disposed of all the mice.

With every increase in retailing efficiency, the value of prime locations rise. They rise and rise until only the slickest can survive, and we get every high street looking the same.

My son was telling me he used to hang with his mates at a place that was, in effect, a youth club. Could spend all day there on £3. Those 'run like the government' businesses aren't viable with HPI and rising rents. It's gone now. Nowhere to hang...oh look there's a car...let's hotwire it.

If you're wondering why the fabric of society is disintergrating, this is it. High rents. Pubs can't stay open, kids got nowhere to go. No little haberdashery for the ladies to catch up on gossip, they watch TV instead. All the while the house price inflates, until the mortgage is so high that once again, the benefit claimants are targeted. Get stressed and crushed at work...trouble paying the bills...twit of a boss...mother of 5 on benefits in a big house...It makes my blood BOIL...

Big recession 1970 and no-one in employment gave a toss if you wanted to be lazy. If you wanted to sign on, go sign on, spend the rest of your life on the dole if you wanted. Plenty of people didn't take that option, they preferred to work and they did well out of it. The office types had a reasonable mortgage and once 5 years into it were better off than renters. Stay at home wife and the biggest problem with dining out was not affording it, it was finding a baby sitter. Seems idyllic now doesn't it? If I can get you that lifestyle back is it ok for me to doss about? :)

We need low rents so badly. If not, some form of subsidy for the businesses that ARE the fabric of our society.

So, subsidise Woolworth and other assorted rubbish shops just so they will stay open.

Subsidise pubs that hardly anyone drinks in any more. Subsidise people to stay on the dole all their lives (don't we already do this? F***ing too much of it!) subsidise wives to stay at home to look after the kids, subsidise yoof clubs because if we don't the kids will all go out nicking cars.

Rents will always be a proportion of capital values, so this price crash might bring some lower rents back. Then we can go back to the happy days of shopping in Woolies and other cheapo tat shops and drinking in smoky pubs before going back to the missus and kids with some cheapo pressies (from Woolies).

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Rents will always be a proportion of capital values, so this price crash might bring some lower rents back. Then we can go back to the happy days of shopping in Woolies and other cheapo tat shops and drinking in smoky pubs before going back to the missus and kids with some cheapo pressies (from Woolies).

*nostalgic sigh*

HOLA4412
Can see why they've in such trouble, am really not impressed with these cranes. Takes 4 x AA batteries, should last a day and a half with younsters, if that. No socket for a mains adapter, will probably fit one myself before giving them to Santa. If I give any to Santa, first one I assembled has one of functions not working.

Was it too much trouble for their buyers to make sure the large toys all take D type batteries and can use a wall wart? Discarded toys by New Year otherwise, or is that the point.

Should be able to make at least 2 from the 4 but I'm a tinkerer, Mr & Mrs Parent are going to remember the bad experiences with buying and not go back...

oh hang on...

Take one outside and kick it to pieces.

As Pele would say " i would".

Go on you'll feel better.

£2.00 you say. hmmmm

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Just popped in to our local Woolies (Kilburn High Road, NW London) - lots of "3 for 2" offers on tins and boxes of Xmas chocolates and Xmassy stuff.

Some big toys half price.

Didn't see any empty shelves or 90% offs anywhere though. Shop quite busy.

Their charging full price there, maybe they know people as yourself don't like to consider themselves having bought a cheapo present.

HOLA4415

Just been to Woolies in Lowestoft for the first time in ages. Notice they don't do electrical stuff anymore. Isles spaced further apart. More Chinese tat than I could shake a stick at. Predominant colour of clothing and toys is Barbie pink. Staff looked a bit bewildered. Customers looked depressed. There was lots of cheap chocolate, CDs and that. But to be honest, I couldn't be bothered. Consumption is so last year.

I got out sharpish.

HOLA4416
Talk about niche fricking analogies! Geez!

May be - but there's at least 3 people on the thread that got that 80's Who inspired joke.

BTW Nothing doing in Leeds Woolies. Fat manager type stomping up and down the store. Staff looking fed up.

Also deactivated from their online affiliate site so no more online sales for them I suspect.

Edited by greencat

HOLA4417
Just popped in to our local Woolies (Kilburn High Road, NW London) - lots of "3 for 2" offers on tins and boxes of Xmas chocolates and Xmassy stuff.

Some big toys half price.

Didn't see any empty shelves or 90% offs anywhere though. Shop quite busy.

Your post reminded me of an incident I witnessed - 30 years or more ago. I was working on a building site somewhere in the Kilburn neck of the woods - it was a rough area around there.

I had just bought a sandwich and was standing on the pavement watching the world go by. Suddenly there was a commotion on the other side of the road - outside a Woolworths. A fight no less. A bloke with a white shirt, tie - i.e. looking like an office worker of some sort - was knocking the living daylights out of some bloke.

The police had presumably been called because they arrived a couple of minutes later. People stood around watching and, as you do in that sort of situation, started turning to the strangers next to them to find out if 'they knew what was going on'.

Turns out the bloke administering the thrashing was the manager of the Woolies and the bloke taking the lesson in good manners had been in the shop harassing the staff and generally making a nuisance of himself.

I have never been tempted to shop lift in my life - but if I were of that persuasion, I certainly wouldn't do it that branch of Woolies.

HOLA4418
Your post reminded me of an incident I witnessed - 30 years or more ago. I was working on a building site somewhere in the Kilburn neck of the woods - it was a rough area around there.

I had just bought a sandwich and was standing on the pavement watching the world go by. Suddenly there was a commotion on the other side of the road - outside a Woolworths. A fight no less. A bloke with a white shirt, tie - i.e. looking like an office worker of some sort - was knocking the living daylights out of some bloke.

The police had presumably been called because they arrived a couple of minutes later. People stood around watching and, as you do in that sort of situation, started turning to the strangers next to them to find out if 'they knew what was going on'.

Turns out the bloke administering the thrashing was the manager of the Woolies and the bloke taking the lesson in good manners had been in the shop harassing the staff and generally making a nuisance of himself.

I have never been tempted to shop lift in my life - but if I were of that persuasion, I certainly wouldn't do it that branch of Woolies.

Quality :lol:

HOLA4419
My experience of Woolies is long queues to the till.

And a product range that defies logic.

I dont understand what Woolies are about these days, are they trying to be the "Pound Shop" where they sell any old junk ?

Its hard for me to think of what I might go to Woolies for, other than as people mentioned Pick and Mix, which is not exactly going to pay the business rates on a high street position.

They seem to have completely lost direction of recent years, and its a great shame that another retailer with some serious high street skills took them over.

I hate to say it, but Woolies looks to me like something the Government have been running.

Very true, much like M&S they have no solid focus and missed out on the out of town opportunity and are now stuck on the deserted high street paying extortionate rates whilst everybody shops parking free at a retail park or huge shopping centre. They had a half hearted try with BIG W but failed.

I remember with fondness from childhood the pick N mix counters, but now too expensive.

HOLA4420
May be - but there's at least 3 people on the thread that got that 80's Who inspired joke.

It's a small but select audience.

The "there's nothing you can do to prevent the catharsis of spurious morality" line has passed into Who legend so I like to use it whenever I can.

Which isn't often, I have to say.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

What an uplifting and thoroughly heartening story.

Reminds me of years back when a guy trying to steal a scooter in London was caught in the act by the owner - cockney Terry Downes, ex World Middleweight boxing champion. A brutal, all-out-warfare fighter who once beat the legendary Sugar Ray Robinson.

It would have been nice to have seen the look on the thief's face when he felt that hand on his shoulder.

Terry did a few films, notably playing the hunchback servant in Polanski's The Fearless Vampire Killers.

Edited by juvenal