House Price Crash Forum

Car Price Crash

Sold OK

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Noticed a small use car dealer near me the other day had close down. Used to have a nice stock of cheap classic cars, 4 x 4, mini and small MG/Lotis sports type cars. Been there for years.

Went past the other day and he had cleared the forecourt and shut down. I wondered if he the bank had pulled their credit line on him as I could not imagine him just taking the whole lot to an auction one day.

Got to say that used cars dealerships and car leasing companies must be taking a real beating at the moment. Value of stock is falling and banks calling in the finance. Not a good business to be in.

Edited by Wad

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest KingCharles1st

Interestingly- on Radio 5 tonight , there was a news article story thing about the current bombing of car prices. It is now expected that a 5k familybox will lose 600 quid by christmas!! some luxury models bombed 1k in ONE MONTH!!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Interestingly- on Radio 5 tonight , there was a news article story thing about the current bombing of car prices. It is now expected that a 5k familybox will lose 600 quid by christmas!! some luxury models bombed 1k in ONE MONTH!!

So does that mean a 10K one will lose £1,200 by Christmas.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

a new 10k car will easily loose 1k in 6 months. 2nd hand isnt quite so bad. on average, value of an average car (ie nothing exotic\special) roughly halfs every 2 years. so a new 10k car now will be worth 1,250 in 6 years time. some fall quicker, some slower

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
In more difficult times, a lot of two-car families are likely to downsize to a one car family. We're considering doing this.

we did this, petrol prices being one of the main factors plus moving closer to one place of work.

actually we did it several years ago when i could walk to work but that was pre having kids...

HOLA4420
we did this, petrol prices being one of the main factors plus moving closer to one place of work.

actually we did it several years ago when i could walk to work but that was pre having kids...

We're ditching both a big old petrol MPV and a more recent 1.0 tiddler in favour of a nearly new squillion mpg diesel mini MPV.

Expecting to get a killer deal as there are NO buyers out there, just tumbleweed blowing though showrooms here in Glos. :P

Normally leave a dealer with a bit to ensure good after sales service, but I smell blood this time and will be looking for near cost price.

Keeping the SLK tho. - mpg is not a huge issue when the car only does 4/5000 miles a year and its achingly gorgeous and ageing very gracefully.

I don't see much evidence of a price crash in the asking prices for the 6 cars on Autotrader that resemble its spec. within 100 mile radius. :)

IMHO paying a bit more for a car that people really covet helps mitigate the inevitable depreciation. RX8 looks the part and is very fast for the money, but just to easy to find. Interested to hear from anyone who sees a problem with our reasoning though.

HOLA4421
We're ditching both a big old petrol MPV and a more recent 1.0 tiddler in favour of a nearly new squillion mpg diesel mini MPV.

Expecting to get a killer deal as there are NO buyers out there, just tumbleweed blowing though showrooms here in Glos. :P

Normally leave a dealer with a bit to ensure good after sales service, but I smell blood this time and will be looking for near cost price.

Keeping the SLK tho. - mpg is not a huge issue when the car only does 4/5000 miles a year and its achingly gorgeous and ageing very gracefully.

I don't see much evidence of a price crash in the asking prices for the 6 cars on Autotrader that resemble its spec. within 100 mile radius. :)

IMHO paying a bit more for a car that people really covet helps mitigate the inevitable depreciation. RX8 looks the part and is very fast for the money, but just to easy to find. Interested to hear from anyone who sees a problem with our reasoning though.

Whatcar mag has an article in the latest edition questioning the benefits of diesel. It more or less says that in the current market the diesel is just about a better buy but if the gap between diesel and petrol continues then by next year petrol will be a better bang for buck. It says you you already have to do 56,000 miles to get the benefit of a diesel golf over a petrol one.

I have been looking at the Verso and the diesel does not do that more MPG compared to the petrol and people have been posting on a toyota forum that they aren't even getting the stated MPG anyhow. I read a simlar thing with Honda CRV diesels also.

HOLA4422

you'd be lucky to get the stated mpg in diesels or petrols, unless you drive very gently. in my experience, diesel mpg seems to deteriorate less if you really rag a car vs if you drive carefully, compared to a petrol.

the gap between petrol and diesel's closed up a bit - i wonder how far apart they'll settle. given that diesel's been 2-5p/litre more for ~10 years - its only risen to 15p/litre more in the last 6 months - i can't believe the demand for diesel vs demand for petrol has changed *that* much in that time.

interesting fact though - did you know there are more 3-6 year old cars on the roads than 0-3 year old ones (by about 5%)? wierd eh?