House Price Crash Forum

Telephone Conversation With Ea Today

Monkey

HOLA441

EA; good afternoon Morrisn Dibben

me: hi i see you've just put a post on Brookwood Road, Millbrook southampton, do you have any details of this property

EA yes 41 Brookwood road, its £179,950, 3 bed semi, large Garden blah blah blah is this the sort ofthing your looking for? i can arrange a viewing for this evening.

Me, yes but not at that price, do you know that the one 8 doors down who is for sale by Austin an Wyatt is up for £167,950, and its pretty much the same house.

EA, the one we have is more modern and in a better state than the Austin and Wyatt, our one whont be for sale for long.

ME: have you seen the other house?

EA: we check out all house for sale in the area by competitiors and base our price accordingly

ME: :lol::lol: is there a forward chain? and what flexibility is there in the price?

EA: well not too sure on Forward chain, but the price fo the property is inline with the Current market, and its set to rise shortly, :blink: if your lucky you make get £2-3k knocked off for aquick sale, but i didnt tell you that

Me: o :lol::lol: ok thanks i'll wait a bit longer i think

EA: if you wait past the end of the month you could find your completly priced out of this type of house, a steep rise is about ot happen.

i had to hand up before i pissed my self.

deluded and in full denial, and this was not a EA but the girl who answers the EA's phone

HOLA442
HOLA443
I'm an estate agent and I think any agent is mad if they are reckoning that prices are about to go up.

Welcome Stevie, I hope you don't find us too bearish here.

Yes, it is plain bloody idiocy on the part of some EAs, do they not realise that a lot of punters out there are watching the market as much as they are, some of us could quite prices/dates (sad I know!) but if you want to make a success then you have to do your research. Plus with the use of Property Bee etc then we even know when the EAs have a pee break! :)

There are still far too many 'ass-pirational' prices out there, and with sales volumes tanking then what ARE they doing? We already hear from old-lag EAs that they've sold in a down market, and price accordingly, not even dealing with vendors who won't budge.

Stevie, what are your experiences?

Frank

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Welcome Steve I'm just down the road in Fawley!! Dosen't surprise me with Morris Dibden always over price. Another bad one in our area is Enfields.

the reason Enfileds are over priced it they have to pay for all those blue Mini's (BMW Half Series) that they have stickered up in yellow

HOLA447
HOLA448
welocme stevie,don't be put off by some of the comments about EA's,some of your colleagues have made a rod for their own backs.,we have some great EA posters-eg mildura/honestEA who bring something special to the site.enjoy.

Agreed, the honestEAs etc who bring a real insight as to what has been/is happening on the ground is truly shocking, and the long term Eas who are not out to scam every one in the way have a great deal of respect here.

Welcome.

HOLA449

Aha, a suitable thread to hijack.

We're putting money away for six months, but after then we'll need to buy due to a dearth of rented in the area. Plus, we're on the Ownhome scheme

This little beauty is a two bed with unfinish LC that could turn it to a 4. It's a repo and a total tip. Builders reckon it'd take about 30K to make it look decent. It's priced at 189. Within 5 minutes, the EA told us that they REALLY valued it at about 165-170.

We put in an offer of 140, just to get the lie of the land, and they maintained a tactful silence. So, realising that this only works if no-one else is interested, we put in a last and best of 165. According to the EA, the buyers have accepted an offer of 175, although it'll be two weeks before it goes in the paper for tender. I was originally suspicious, but the EA on the end was almost "ner-ner" when I enquired, rather than trying to tease money out of me.

I'm thinking, though, that anyone daft enough to pay MORE than the EA valuation in this climate probably isn't great with money, so we'll pick it up again when THEY get repo'd.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-182...=1&tr_t=buy

if you want to see it yourself.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I think we should create an HPC.co.uk info pack, basically a summary (with attached reports) of the current trend in house prices. Then when you phone the EA and they give you the prices rising soon bull you can ask for their name and post them the pack.

I had a row with a letting agent in a pub, it was back in February and a friend and I were discussing house prices and I told my mate in no uncertain terms that we were approaching the start of some serious drops in prices, the LA butted in and went on about house prices not dropping which I reacted rather explosively basically telling him to mind his own ******* business and take his head out of his ****, it turned out his market analysis amounted to the mortgage advisor at his branch telling him prices wouldn't be going down. I put him straight but I'm now desperate to send him all the recent reports from the likes of Halifax and Nationwide.

Have major kudos with my mate however who thinks I am some super soothsayer as I'm always proved right in my predictions about pretty much everything, only based on keeping one small step ahead of the sheeple in this world.

HOLA4413
I think we should create an HPC.co.uk info pack, basically a summary (with attached reports) of the current trend in house prices. Then when you phone the EA and they give you the prices rising soon bull you can ask for their name and post them the pack.

I had a row with a letting agent in a pub, it was back in February and a friend and I were discussing house prices and I told my mate in no uncertain terms that we were approaching the start of some serious drops in prices, the LA butted in and went on about house prices not dropping which I reacted rather explosively basically telling him to mind his own ******* business and take his head out of his ****, it turned out his market analysis amounted to the mortgage advisor at his branch telling him prices wouldn't be going down. I put him straight but I'm now desperate to send him all the recent reports from the likes of Halifax and Nationwide.

Have major kudos with my mate however who thinks I am some super soothsayer as I'm always proved right in my predictions about pretty much everything, only based on keeping one small step ahead of the sheeple in this world.

Alas, the trampoline has been stolen - the open fence to the back backs onto the police station of all places.

I have a theory that the average house price will rise, though, as forced sellers push through the ladder. a 150K forced seller one day, a 250K forced seller the next. The actual statistics of the house won't chance, and the LR figures only give you bedrooms and detatchability, but the houses being bought by those squeezed out further up will be of a better quality, and thus give the illusion of a rise in house prices. Unless someone actually does a year by year valuation - maybe on a property that's changed hands every year since 2000, historical valuations are pretty meaningless.

HOLA4414

REPLY TO JONNY ARGLES. Very unusual to be advertised as a repossession property. We are required to not divulge our repo's (unless asked outright), perhaps the thinking is that if people know its a repo they will be more interested - the percieved (and often real) value that comes with them will have the punters round like flies to xhit

Edited by yourfriendlyestateagent

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4415
REPLY TO JONNY ARGLES. Very unusual to be advertised as a repossession property. We are required to not divulge our repo's (unless asked outright), perhaps the thinking is that if people know its a repo they will be more interested - the percieved (and often real) value that comes with them will have the punters round like flies to xhit

Well, we're savvy enough to work out that a house with no chain and children's toys advertised as POA generally ticks boxes. Can't remember whether we were told it was a repo or not, or if we asked, but certainly the rightmove blurb doesn't say it.

HOLA4416

I had a conversation with an estate agent today from Bairstow Eves. I was enquiring about a repo that has just had their board put in the jungle of a front garden near my partner's mothers house. I was told that they didnt have a price yet cos the surveyors hadnt gone to value it yet. I was warned that it might not be as cheap as I am expecting as the bank has to get the money back for the amount of the mortgage thats secured on it.

I said that me and my partner wouldnt be paying off someone else's debts and knew it needed alot of work. She agreed and told me that now was the best time to buy cos in a few months house prices would be going up!!!! I disagreed and she told me that their sales had double this month compared to last month (that'll be 2 then).

I dont actually want to view the house (too close to the inlaws) I was just being nosey but I was suprised to hear that the crash is now off!!

I didnt get her name cos I couldnt be bothered to hear any more about 'interest rates are dropping you know'. I wonder if her name is Mystic Meg.

I'm sad the crash is off. I might as well stop hoarding my tins of beans as well. I did do my shopping at Lidl tho just incase.

Are we still in the denial phase????

HOLA4417

We have our house up with 2 agents and have SSTC with one of them. The other sent us a mailing that they have obviously sent to all their other sellers which comprises exactly that (i.e. a letter stating that house prices have started a downwards trend along with a good amount of statistical backup data from various sources and an assertion that they will be calling us in the next few days to agree how we can work together to sell our property successfully, essentially 'grooming' us for a price reduction.)

I had a conversation with an estate agent today from Bairstow Eves. I was enquiring about a repo that has just had their board put in the jungle of a front garden near my partner's mothers house. I was told that they didnt have a price yet cos the surveyors hadnt gone to value it yet. I was warned that it might not be as cheap as I am expecting as the bank has to get the money back for the amount of the mortgage thats secured on it.

The Estate Agent that wrote to me was Bairstow Eves, so I wonder to what extent they are a centralised organisation?

Edited by Pie Eater

HOLA4418