House Price Crash Forum

Flint Radio 4 Now

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Did this break up for anyone on the BBC website - half way through???

What I did hear was Evan Davies giving her a jolly good bashing!!! ;-) She talked so much shite though.... WE NEED MORE HOUSES... WE NEED IT TO PICK UP COZ OUR ECONOMY IS DEPENDENT ON IT!!!

"As a caring government, we need to build houses for everyone and its not fair that those naughty banks are not offering LIAR LOANS for support this overpriced BUBBLE. It is our job to find any way necessary to fvck the people of the UK over and get ALL THEIR MONEY, so I can have my MP allowance for next year....

FACIST B@STARD GOVERNMENT... PERIOD!!!

TB

HOLA447

She was mauled by Evan, big style.

No decent answers given to any of the questions - she wouldnt support the market moving in either of the directions Evan was putting to her, or even the present state of play.

How are we supposed to be building 250k houses a year now with building firms laying off 40% of their staff left right and centre.

Governments buying up newbuild city centre flats? Who would have thought that the prediction of these newbuilds being the slums of the future would have been so dead on.

She clearly has no idea what is going on.

HOLA448

Good interview. Just shows the difference between an interview on the Today program and what amounts to a party political broadcast with Andrew Marr...

Flint was left floundering. Couldn't bring herself to answer if she wanted house prices to go up or down. As Evan said, not a difficult question really. (Unless of course your entire economic 'miracle' is based on pricing out first time buyers and producing an unsustainable bubble.)

HOLA449

Actually, I don't think it's too hard to decipher what Flint said when asked if she wanted house prices to fall.

1) They say it's all about "supply and demand" (Haw many times have you heard them spout that out!?)

2) They know house prices are currently falling. Therefore they must agree that there isn't the demand

3) They are proposing to build thousands more houses. This can only mean that they are increasing supply with a falling demand, meaning according to their own petard that house prices will drop further and faster because of this.

I don't actually think Declan did that great a job - OK, flint was floundering, but she didn't blurt anything out that wasn't on her cards, and declan didn't push her to explain anything in grteater detail, or pick apart her arguments.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Gawd she was defensive. Well done Evan for trying to shut the monotonous cow up.

she knows she can't admit that houses booming over the last 10 years was a good thing publicly, because she knows it was unsustainable. And that means Gordy and Bliars boom boom economy was unsustainable. She knows that without the housing bubble, the economy would not have thrived (at least from the outside looking in) over the last 10 yrs. But she also knows that this Government was greedy and ignored the signs of an inevitable bust.

She niow knows that in the long term the bust is a good thing, because reality is a good thing. But sit on the fence she will.......

HOLA4413
Guest An Bearin Bui

I switched the radio off just as Evan Davies announced the interview with her - it seems the interview was full of exactly the kind of incoherent nonsense I expected.

Did anyone else catch the lead-up to the interview where people in the building industry were interviewed? Most of those interviewed were 'in shock' and 'just didn't know what they were going to do', 'worst they've seen in 30 years' etc. One couple in their 50s ran a painter-decorator business and were very worried as they only had 2 weeks' work left and after that nothing. They had no idea how they were going to manage. While you can be sympathetic to anyone facing redundancy or their business going to the wall, you really have to ask what the heck they've been doing for the last 5 crazy boom years when a fool could make money just walking past a building site, if they now have no savings or back-up plan? Everyone knows that the building industry is cyclical and yet somehow the business cycle was news to these people despite them being in their 50s and out working for quite a while longer than me.

All of this was of course leading up to the interview with Flint to add pressure for the government to DO SOMETHING. The BBC would have us believe that it's just so mean and unfair for people to lose their jobs and stuff. It's not right - people should have guaranteed jobs for life like in the USSR, otherwise they might have to work stuff out for themselves and save money or something. Funnily enough, no-one seemed to care less when all the tech companies were laying off thousands of staff after 2001. Were there sympathetic news stories back then? I don't recall any...

HOLA4414

Just one other point - did anyone else notice the benchmark has now gone back to five years - she said that:

"House prices are still 40% higher than they were FIVE years ago"

What, you can't bring yourself to say "house prices are now at the level they were in 2006"?

How about "If you've bought a house anytime between 2006 and now, you've been sold a pup"?

We are being ruled by complete muppets. really.

Oh, and Evan - lets see some BLAME being bandied about - HOW did we get into this mess? Were there warning signs? Who was it didn't do anything about it? Lets see... Oh, yes, it was labour. Not tony, or brown (who obviously shaped it), but LABOUR. In fact, they added fuel to the fire, instead of just a light misting to help things cool off.

Please please please do some investigation and start to challenge them on how they managed to steer us right into this mess, lets hear something about the money supply, about the falling £:euro... some PROPER DEBATE rather than all this rhetoric that sounds like you gave her a hard time, but in fact is just actually drivel.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416