House Price Crash Forum

Better Browser Than Ie7? (ot)

HOLA441

Mods, if you could just give me a couple of hours to fish for some insight here before kicking me off to the OT dept - this forum gets better attendance than the others.

The 15" monitor on my laptop replacement is highres and looks fuzzy and horrible if I set it to a non-native resolution, so I keep it native which means unadjusted fonts are tiny. I can compensate for that in most situations by going into XP's display properties but these have no effect on the tiny font I'm trying to read on this and other forums. In IE7 I can magnify the screen using ctrl+/- but this resizes everything which means I have to scroll to read - it's a major pain. There seems to be no way of selectively resizing the font.

Someone here must have come up against the same problem. Any recommendation for other browsers which might cope more successfully with this than IE?

thanks for any help/advice...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

You can install both, and import all your bookmarks over from firefox.

That said, most people tend not to want to use IE again after a few days of customising firefox exactly how they want it.

I recommend the Whitehart theme for firefox if you haven't got a lot of screen space. It's excellent.

Edited by DementedTuna

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Mods, if you could just give me a couple of hours to fish for some insight here before kicking me off to the OT dept - this forum gets better attendance than the others.

The 15" monitor on my laptop replacement is highres and looks fuzzy and horrible if I set it to a non-native resolution, so I keep it native which means unadjusted fonts are tiny. I can compensate for that in most situations by going into XP's display properties but these have no effect on the tiny font I'm trying to read on this and other forums. In IE7 I can magnify the screen using ctrl+/- but this resizes everything which means I have to scroll to read - it's a major pain. There seems to be no way of selectively resizing the font.

Someone here must have come up against the same problem. Any recommendation for other browsers which might cope more successfully with this than IE?

thanks for any help/advice...

firefox, install the ietab add on to cope with any remaining naughty websites that require ie...

Edited by moosetea

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Firefox and IE are quite happy on the same PC. Firefox also has the option to open a page in an IE tab. Some webpages are better viewed in IE (or the IE tab in Firefox).

I am a big fan of Firefox, version 3 is now out and is superb. There are hundreds of very useful plug-ins available for Firefox that add functionality to your browsing. Have fun,

BB

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Firefox is very flaky - contrary to popular geek mythology. IE continues to set the standard (the real standard, ie by market participation, not self proclaimed)

that's like saying people are happier in china/india because they have more people... No strictly true. Sounds like you had a bad experience with FF?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
How come you're not running FireFox anyway? All self-respecting HPCers surely run FireFox with the Property bee plugin?

I'm a bit of a luddite - plus i'm familiar now with IE7's key commands and can get round it really fast. But I guess firefox does all that and more? ...e.g. tabs?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
I'm a bit of a luddite - plus i'm familiar now with IE7's key commands and can get round it really fast. But I guess firefox does all that and more? ...e.g. tabs?

Most of the features now found in IE were ripped off from Firefox/Mozilla ;)..yes its has tabs.

Edited by JustAnotherProle