House Price Crash Forum

Got Burgled!

Guest muttley

HOLA441
Guest muttley

We recently returned from a holiday to find our rented property had been "done over".

We are due to renew our rental agreement soon,and have been good tennants. What can I reasonably expect my landlord to do to increase security?

A bit of background....

We live in a new-build in a relatively low crime area.

There is no burglar alarm,security lighting or even a lock on the garden gate.(Maybe I should have done the last one)

The kitchen door ( point of entry ) is PVC patio style,and bloody flimsy in my view.

Do I have any right to approach the landlord,or is security down to me?

HOLA442

You have two options as I see it:

A ) Either you or your landlord improve the security of the place you are in

B ) Move to another rental with better security.

It could be difficult to get your landlord to improve the security of the property, as AFAIAA his legal obligation is only to maintain the property, rather than improve it. Obviously he CAN improve it if he so wishes between tenancies, but forcing him to improve it by law could be tricky.

If your bargaining power is strong enough, you could say to him "Look, I would be perfectly happy to renew the tenancy, IF you complete these works (burglar alarm, stronger/more numerous locks, etc); if not I will go elsewhere".

Edited by zzg113

HOLA443

I am sorry to hear your news, it must be very distressing. Its never happened to us so far, so I don't really know what it is like. Has happened to my Aunt in Bromley twice, and I know how distressing she found it. I hope all the isurance companies are paying out properly.

I second exactly what ZZG says.

I know I agree posts are not great netiquete, but this time I just want to reinforce what you've been told as its a good point, especially the bit about bargaining with the landlord over improved security for your new signature. He'd be a fool not to consider it, might save extra damage to his property as well through break-ins.

HOLA444

Don't forget once you have been burgled you are more likely to be burgled again.

As the burgler will know the layout of you place and will know the escape routes, and that you will most likely will have replaced the old stuff with new goods from the insurance.

I recommend that you really increase your security.

Both my nan and a relative have been burgled in the past and the burglers came back for seconds a few months later.

HOLA445
Don't forget once you have been burgled you are more likely to be burgled again.

Dunno about that. We got burgled a couple of years ago, the burglars had to make off with sod all other than a company-owned laptop and probably figured out that we're far too poor (aka have money in savings and investments, not cheap tat) to be worth bothering with again :).

Police were as useless as usual, of course. They can find a dozen cops to sit at the side of the road checking for expired tax disks to, according to the sign they put up, 'reduce crime and disorder in the county', but burglary? Not our problem, mate.

Edited by MarkG

HOLA446

Get a wireless burgular alarm. I picked up a BT monitoring system that is portable from ebay for £45. A high pitch alarm and rings contacts immediately providing you have a BT line. All controlled online though you do have to pay BT £5 a month to keep the monitoring going.

HOLA447

As the burgler will know the layout of you place and will know the escape routes, and that you will most likely will have replaced the old stuff with new goods from the insurance.

I recommend that you really increase your security.

Both my nan and a relative have been burgled in the past and the burglers came back for seconds a few months later.

I totally agree - my stuff got burgled in London (my superb Marin bike, customised) - couldn't carry it all, came back for seconds.

Luckily we'd removed what stuff was worth nicking a second time.

Of course, upped the security afterwards :(

HOLA448
Guest muttley

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Mrs.M. contacted the landlord he has agreed to fit a burglar alarm and a security light.He also gave us a padlock for the back gate.I think the guy deserves some credit,as we didn't need to strong arm him at all.

Also,I'd like to say that the police were pretty good too.Ok,it took them about 2 hours to respond,but they handled it sensitively and have given us plenty of feedback.They've offered us crime prevention advice and victim support ( we declined the latter).I know they haven't caught anyone yet,but they did give the impression that they were looking,at least.This hasn't always been the case with my other dealings with the police.I even felt sorry for them when I realised what a lot of paperwork they would have to fill in.

So, a landlord and the police doing a good job.Wow!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA449

I have been burgled twice in separate properties, so please heed the following advice:

the burgulars will DEFINITELY come back, possibly just to scout round to see if you have the same level of security.

use timed lights (you can get a plug with a timer for less than a fiver) - plug these into lamps around the house that are visible from outside. (one at the front and one at the back).

90% of burglaries happen via the rear entrance. INCREASE SECURITY here.

If the rear entrance leads to a kitchen - close the kitchen door and put a lock on it. Burgulars want to see a clear way into and out of the house. If they can see that doors are open they know that they have easy access to all rooms.

If you can, put bars on the inside over the windows on the kitchen door.

Leave a radio on (on a talk station like 5 live) when you are out. This will make it sound like the place is occupied.

Always get insurance.

Any other question's just ask.

PS.

Sorry to pee on your bonfire, but the Police have NO chance of catching the thieves.

PPS.

This is slighlty immoral advice but probably the best you will get (and the Police will never tell you this).

Take a look at how secure your neighbours houses look. Yours needs to look more difficult o break into. Thieves are opportunists who will always opt for the easiest break-in.

Edited by DonnieDarker

HOLA4410
Dunno about that. We got burgled a couple of years ago, the burglars had to make off with sod all other than a company-owned laptop and probably figured out that we're far too poor (aka have money in savings and investments, not cheap tat) to be worth bothering with again :).

You were probably lucky.

I imagine they will come back and scout the house.

Once a property gets identified as a "rental property" you can bet your bottom dollar that the thieves will be doing their rounds on it at least once a year.

New tenants = New Loot

HOLA4411
PS.

Sorry to pee on your bonfire, but the Police have NO chance of catching the thieves.

Unfortunately hes right there, the only real chance of catching the culprits is to find them in possession of your stolen goods. The chances of which are remote to say the least and even then its not a done deal, they can always fall back on the "got it off a bloke down the pub".

I'm not sure about your exact circumstances but another reason why burglars may come back is because during the first break in they found keys inside your house which will allow them easy access a second time. I would advice changing all locks, including patio doors and garage. A guy I know had his house broke into and didn't realise the theives had done away with his spare set of garage door keys, a month later they came back and emptied his garage of anything of any worth.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4412
Guest muttley

For the sake of completion here's an update.

The landlord has fitted an extra lock to the back date and installed an expensive looking all-singing burglar alarm.A locksmith is coming round tomorrow to fix extra locks to the 'weak" back door.

All this has been at the landlord's expense. (applause)

Thanks for all the extra advice, and particularly for not mentioning my criminal spelling of "burgled". :ph34r:

HOLA4413
Once a property gets identified as a "rental property" you can bet your bottom dollar that the thieves will be doing their rounds on it at least once a year.

Well, there's been no sign of them since. Given that our neighbours have 500k+ houses and the lifestyle to go with it, I think they have better places to check out :).

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4414

I know how horrible it is to be burgled having been burgled in 1997.

No amount of insurance, alarms will make the feeling of violation go away.

The best route to piece of mind is to get a decent dog as they are better than the best alarm system invented.

The running costs are cheaper than a general insurance policy, if you have already been turned over, and they are great company.

You have to be a 'dog person' to tolerate them, but they also get around all the legal claptrap. Your dog can do some seroius damage to them if they get in again. You can't.

Burglers nowadays light a pan of boiling water when they get in, so if you confront them, they can chuck it over you. If by some chance you still manage to catch them through your melting bistering face and horriffic burns, they then claim self defense - and 'just happened to notice a pan on water on the stove which he instinctly grabbed when threatened', and they get off, which is the trick nowadays.

Dogs cut through all the new Labour mumbo Jumbo. Its worth trying to get one if cirsumstances make it possible.

Edited by brainclamp

HOLA4415

I work with an insurance company Yourhomeinsurance who deal with a lot of rented and shared accommodation. Thieves do return to properties that they have burgled before. Knowing the contents have probably been replaced and an increased confidence helps.

Your neighbours may live in 500k+ houses but if your back door is flimsy and 5 people with 3 laptops reside in the house then it becomes clear as to why burglers target rented accommodation.

Your landlord is not under obligation to upgrade the security and as a previous post suggests you might consider moving to a more secure property.

Most burglary is opportunisitic, housemates / flatmates leaving doors / windows open. A keen sense of security and window locks are the first steps to take and of course sound doors and locks are important.

Edited by tdl123

HOLA4416

Police were as useless as usual, of course. They can find a dozen cops to sit at the side of the road checking for expired tax disks to, according to the sign they put up, 'reduce crime and disorder in the county', but burglary? Not our problem, mate.

HOLA4417

While I'm not so familiar with this forum, I am familiar with the fact that the diminishment of firearms rights directly increases the burglary rate.

HOLA4418
Guest muttley
While I'm not so familiar with this forum, I am familiar with the fact that the diminishment of firearms rights directly increases the burglary rate.

Yes,but owning a firearm directly increases your chances of being shot.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Guest muttley
Not if you shoot them first it doesnt.

True,if you someone breaks into your home with the intention of shooting you.Otherwise owning a gun increases your chances of being shot (sometimes by a burglar who didn't have a gun when he broke in)

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4421

you can expect nothing from the landlord as you should hold your own contents insurance as the landlords will not cover your property. however you may have a claim against the agent if they did not advise you as although you are not their client they still have a duty of care to you.

HOLA4422

Given that it is well versed that they perpetrators always return a few weeks later I recommend the following.

When you find you have been burgled, dig a large hole in garden. When they return beat generously around the head with baseball bat and place carcass into hole in garden.

Saves the Police on paperwork, and spending vast sums on compost and plant fertilizer. In addition it will help the local community as that is one more piece of dirt removed from the streets.

Given that the detection rate is very low at 3% and when detected the criminal has commited some 70 previously undetected crimes it doesnt take too many holes to tidy up the entire community.