House Price Crash Forum

Prescott And Alan Johnson Both Backing Brown

HOLA441

Watching this early this morning, Both backing Brown with Prescott in no doubt that Brown will steer us through this turbulent time.

He is the best man for the job, who would be better to get us through this, well respected in the world financial circles with many countries looking to see how Brown reacts to the conditions.

I think the biggest worry here is that with his back against the wall Brown is going to make decisions that he may not be able to get away with in normal economic conditions, I don't know what these are but get the feeling that behind closed doors plans are being drawn up to get us out of this hole.

The political future of Brown and the Labour party lays with his ability to get us through with minimal damage (at least on the surface), Labour know that many of those who have voted against them recently have done so to prompt labour to take action against the current condition, Brown will stay and some of the decisions he takes many will think were not possible but this will be seen as emergency measures that are needed to minimize the damage.

I have the feeling he his going to come out the other side smelling of roses, watch this space.

HOLA442

This was a lousy episode this morning.

Normally Marr does better than this. I don't think he challenged any of the interviewers at all. Instead it was a chat with pals on the sofa, and a nice glass of freshly squeezed orange juice.

I was hoping for them to pick up the Sunday Times story on expenses scam http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=77779 but of course they skipped over that.

Poor effort Mr Marr.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Does anyone know if they have to hold a general election if Brown goes ?

Edit: Stupid question

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5177180.stm

IF THERE IS NO VACANCY Should anyone wish to challenge the leadership, they can seek nomination before the autumn gathering.

They may only proceed if they gain the support of 20% of Labour MPs - which currently means 71 people.

There can also only be a leadership election in these circumstances if the majority of Labour party members at the conference vote in favour of a challenge.

The candidate must then inform the party's general secretary and must win a further vote of party members allowing the challenge to go ahead.

IF A VACANCY EXISTS Things change when there is a vacancy, if, for example, the leader resigns or becomes incapacitated.

When this happens, the Cabinet can liaise with Labour's administrative body, the National Executive Committee (NEC), on whether to appoint an interim leader until the next annual conference.

This person does not necessarily have to be the party's current deputy leader.

However, if the party is in opposition, the deputy leader will automatically "act up" and the NEC will decide whether to hold an immediate ballot or to wait until the next party conference to do so.

Any potential candidate needs to secure the backing of 12.5% of all Labour MPs before they can put themselves forward. Currently that means they need the backing of 44 Labour MPs, as well as themselves, to be able to stand.

THE VOTING PROCESS The decision lies with an electoral college split equally three ways between the 354 Labour MPs and the Labour MEPs, all party members and members of affiliated trade unions who have not opted out of paying a political levy - about 700,000 people in the last Labour contest in 1994.

It is likely that up to a million people will have a say in the leadership race this time.

The ballot must take place at such a time which means the results can be declared at the annual party conference or at a special leadership election conference.

If any candidate receives a majority of votes, they are declared the leader. If not, the last place contender drops out and their second preferences reallocated - and so on until someone passes the 50% figure.

Edited by maxwell

HOLA447
Does anyone know if they have to hold a general election if Brown goes ?

Edit: Stupid question

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5177180.stm

I would'nt worry I cannot see Brown going anytime soon, nobody in the Labour party seems to be worrying, they do have faith in Brown.

Those working closest to him seem to think he is the right man for the job, he seems to have respect.

HOLA448

After the first by-election in decades that showed a swing to the tories, the Beeb chooses to interview no conservatives, instead allowing 2 Nulab oiks to talk up Brown unchallenged (and skim over the expenses issue to boot).

Pretty typical beeb bias - normally I'd get a bit worked up but when this lot appear on the box now, it's more likely than not that a few more Labour voters switch sides or give up. Keep up the good work beeb!

HOLA449
Guest KingCharles1st

I think the "problem" with choosing someone else is this-

Brown WAS in charge throughout the "good times" and therefore the "good times" must have been his doing..

therefore does anyone else feel confident that they could of steered the economy through the "good times" as well as Gordon did?

Now how about that for a suggestion!

Discuss :o

HOLA4410

Saw them both. Marr is just a chump. I`d like to crack a large ostrich egg over Prescott, and hit him with the hardest right hook I could muster, he is a total muppet, but the most dangerous thing is that he is deliberately trying to mislead gullible sheeple. His economic assertions are just Janet and John rubbish which anybody who reads this site could rip to pieces, Marr and co never seem to bother, they are just as much involved in keeping the sheeple dense. Alan Johnson was challenged by Marr about GB`s suitability to the point of embarrasment, he was clearly talking out his hole. I think there will be serious discussions about getting rid of the Broon one within their party, but in a democracy there needs to be a mechanism for calling general elections when it is obvious that someone is totally self obsessed. Broon will be calling his dog "Princess" next, and dancing with his willie between his legs as he applies make-up

and keeps HPC members down a pit.The BBC remit at the moment seems to be, undermine Brown a little, but do not discuss economic disasters which cannot be "handled" by the authorities, and under no circumstances discuss the ways we could have avoided this economic f*ck up.

HOLA4411

Yeah,saw the episode today,and it's quite clear that they are all utterly deluded.

...best man for the job...keep at it.....the punters gave us a kick in the @rse,but get on with it anyway etc.etc.

Gordon,when in a hole....stop digging.That's my advice.

Looks like there are two ways out of parliament for these chumps.One is to be removed at the ballot box,the other is being carried out in a wooden box.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
When they're all publicly backing Brown is when you know the plans are afoot to remove him.

Quite.

As Sir Humphrey explained...

"If asked if he wants to be Prime Minister, the generally acceptable answer for a politician is that while he does not seek the office, he has pledged himself to the service of his country, and that should his colleagues persuade him that that is the best way he can serve, he might reluctantly have to accept the responsibility, whatever his personal wishes might be."

Earlier today I heard Milliband say that he had pledged himself to his job at the foreign office and that was his entire focus at the present time.

Like hell it is.

HOLA4414