Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
You are wrong by a quite extraordinarily long way - look at this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/more...ess/3013080.stm

If your family earns £900 a week you are in the top 5%

Average is between £300 and £340, probably around £320.

BTW that programme, "More or Less" is excellent.

You are broadly correct however you have overlooked the note at the end of the table which states; - "Note that the table is based on two adults without children in a household. The figures will vary with family circumstances. The data is the most recently available covering the year 2001-2"

I suspect that todays figures the average would be around £400 mark allowing for six years increases in incomes

This tread has got into a mess by posters not researching data properly and stating its source.

HOLA444

The report came from Shelter, and it is they who consider £900pw a derisory wage.

Housing charity, Shelter, has published a report that highlights just how difficult it has become for first-time buyers to get a foot on the property ladder.

Affordability is the main issue: the average price of a home has risen over 200% in the past ten years, while the average income in the UK has increased by 53%.

According to the report, mortgage repayments accounted almost 21% of the average working household’s income in 2007, compared with 12% in 1997.

For those able to bridge the affordability gap, the precarious state of the UK mortgage industry presents the next hurdle.

Many lenders will only offer best interest rates in return for a 25% deposit, while for a more expensive deal a 5% deposit is acceptable.

Despite indications that house prices are now falling, making it a good time to buy a first home, many potential first-time buyers cannot meet the stricter lending criteria that continue to pervaded the mortgage market.

The situation is at its worst in London, where the average first home costs £100,000 more than the national average of £160,000.

Shelter’s chief executive, Adam Sampson, paints a gloomy picture of a generation of young people and young families being locked out of the housing market.

In consequence, they are unable to begin accruing the kind of wealth, in terms of housing assets, held by their parents’ generation.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Come to parts of yorkshire and the north east and £900 per week it is not! In fact i would say 80% of the UK falls outside of this.

In fact this once again is london-centric because the at the heart of the atom that is the UK lies the nucleon London which as we all know is the only thing that keeps the atom from falling apart.

I wonder if the people that compiled this median UK wage are also responsible for our CPI figures, keep the wheel spinning. This is all now getting to be too much of a joke, really, the power brokers have firm grasp of the the mantle and will stop at nothing to keep this spinning and nobody will get hurt from their inner sanctum the populus at large on the other hand is another story completely.

HOLA447

My last job the basic wage was £16500, but if you were willing to work lates and weekend you could literally earn 3 times this amount due to high overtime rates. It was call centre work, so i never did overtime to ensure my sanity stayed intact, but many people did. Not much of a life imo, and all of those people working all hours either had debts, mortgages, some hugely expensive wedding to pay for.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
I miss read that initially and thought it was £900 a month (take home) pay which is certainly alot more realistic than £900 a week.

That would make the average salary something in the region of £45,000 a year - maybe that is true in London?! :unsure:

This idea that London is paved with gold........ It's always been a MYTH -- and STILL is a MYTH........ There are MILLIONS of people in London who are VERY POOR....

HOLA4411
Hang on LJ, you utter knob, a while back you argued until you were blue in the face that the average wage was £40k per annum and that all this £23,500 pa was nonsense and that people were in fact earning loads more.

If I could be **** I’d dig out your posts and humiliate you in front of everyone like the toad that you are. Now you are posting that people earn around £21,600 per head (taking household income rather than individual income)?

What gives? Are you saying that your earlier utterances were in fact a load of tosh, and that your lambasting of anyone who wasn’t on £40 – 50k a year was misguided at best, moronic at worst?

He was a bull IIRC.

HOLA4412
Guess im screwed (even more so) then!

I remember a program during GC1 where a team went round romford Market asking people what they earned.

Everybody earned 40K or more. EVERYBODY.

Romford suffered really bad from GC1 IIRC.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

read this http://www.tuc.org.uk/welfare/tuc-13656-f0.cfm

Tells it as is it - madness, madness, madness. Those other wage figures must be those 'special' figures that Gordon and his friends use ;)

The London average was £30,511 in 09/06 so as that clearly doesn't come anywhere near £900p/w more like £580 so where does that other £320 pw come from...?

Its all piff n tish i tell you, designed to keep our heads in a quagmire.

HOLA4415
read this http://www.tuc.org.uk/welfare/tuc-13656-f0.cfm

Tells it as is it - madness, madness, madness. Those other wage figures must be those 'special' figures that Gordon and his friends use ;)

The London average was £30,511 in 09/06 so as that clearly doesn't come anywhere near £900p/w more like £580 so where does that other £320 pw come from...?

Its all piff n tish i tell you, designed to keep our heads in a quagmire.

MEW

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

please read the link

http://www.tuc.org.uk/welfare/tuc-13656-f0.cfm

if it smells, looks, tastes and feels like a lie, then guess what...

how can this BS keep carrying on, seriously folks - how. my eyelids are peeled back further each day, they're currently 6cms from my nape :)

You have to laugh though don'tchaa!!

HOLA4418
Shelter are full of s hit. They're just another bunch of gobsh/tes who want to throw moral hazard to the wind and have a multi-billion pound, taxpayer funded bailout of over-indebted wasters. Dream on!

don't hold back there. I guess you are not one for benefits then?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Some figures from Halifax for London at http://www.hbosplc.com/economy/includes/23...alesrelease.doc

Local Authority District Average Earnings £

Kensington and Chelsea 101,374

Hackney 26,980

Islington 43,071

Southwark 34,142

Hammersmith & Fulham 40,437

Tower Hamlets 33,795

Lewisham 26,924

Westminster 62,472

Lambeth 30,342

Wandsworth 41,576

Newham 21,597

Greenwich 27,289

Haringey 28,909

HOLA4421
Where does this £900 figure come from?

Gordons Magic Biscuit Tin

Its a bit like Jamie & His Magic Torch or Sport Billys Bag.

Sorry a slight 80's nostalgia moment there :)

Seriously though, its what Gordon thinks is the average because he knows everything, he's a bit like the Borg from Star Trek and has assimilated all knowledge from thousands of species from around the galaxy, from where he travels...ohh, i'm sorry am i speaking ******** - well, that could be another place where the figure comes from ;)

HOLA4422
Some figures from Halifax for London at http://www.hbosplc.com/economy/includes/23...alesrelease.doc

Local Authority District Average Earnings £

Kensington and Chelsea 101,374

Hackney 26,980

Islington 43,071

Southwark 34,142

Hammersmith & Fulham 40,437

Tower Hamlets 33,795

Lewisham 26,924

Westminster 62,472

Lambeth 30,342

Wandsworth 41,576

Newham 21,597

Greenwich 27,289

Haringey 28,909

So on average people in Chelsea and Kensington earn just over 100k a year? but yet live in houses worth millions?! This does not compute, my head hurts! Something is seriously wrong all round

HOLA4423
Gordons Magic Biscuit Tin

Its a bit like Jamie & His Magic Torch or Sport Billys Bag.

Sorry a slight 80's nostalgia moment there :)

Seriously though, its what Gordon thinks is the average because he knows everything, he's a bit like the Borg from Star Trek and has assimilated all knowledge from thousands of species from around the galaxy, from where he travels...ohh, i'm sorry am i speaking ******** - well, that could be another place where the figure comes from ;)

The word omitted by the way was b*ll*cks ;)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
So on average people in Chelsea and Kensington earn just over 100k a year? but yet live in houses worth millions?! This does not compute, my head hurts! Something is seriously wrong all round

Doesnt the queen live there, She must earn a fair bit.