House Price Crash Forum

Northern Ireland Economy

Vespasian

HOLA441
Remember it well! I also had several aunts who worked there - both sides of my family are originally from places around York Street that were demolished to make way for dual carriageways.

Gallaghers is now the pictures and Big W - although Big W is going now, obviously. Kind of a symbol for the rest of our economy!!!

I remember Gallaghers well. My dad's friend was a security man in it when it had just closed, would have been around 1990.

I was just married and we stretch ourselves to buy our first home in Carrick it was £26,500 in those days. I was a 2nd year apprentice mechanic and my wife was cook.

Any-ho the reason I remember Gallaghers well is everyone with any connection to the place was slowly removing everything that was not bolted down (this was after it had closed as a factory), my dad's friend lifted all the carpet tiles. Me and my dad loaded hundreds of tiles into a van :ph34r: and I carpeted my whole house with them until such times as we could afford to get carpet fitted. Brown carpet tiles became quite the fashion in our street back then, a few of the neighbours got the remaining ones.

Ah... the good ole days.

We still have a chuckle to this day about the whole thing.

Edited by statinstoinker

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
The only major private sector investments in the area are the hideously ugly Horizon Building with its paper thin walls, and the grossly overpriced 'townhouses' at the back of the Crues.

At the height of the boom, the Crues has a developer lined up who was willing to pay £5million or thereabouts for Seaview, although the deal has obviously fallen through.

HOLA443
At the height of the boom, the Crues has a developer lined up who was willing to pay £5million or thereabouts for Seaview, although the deal has obviously fallen through.

Are you sure? They are still actively pursuing planning permission from N'abbey Council for a new ground somewhere about the top of Longlands.

HOLA444
Are you sure? They are still actively pursuing planning permission from N'abbey Council for a new ground somewhere about the top of Longlands.

I'm 100% sure.

They are actively pursuing planning permission from both N'abbey Council and Belfast City Council - there are two possible sites identified in Newtownabbey and one possible site in Belfast (at Grove). However, Belfast City Council have lost interest and Newtownabbey Borough Council is going that way too.

The estimated cost of the new development is £20m to £25m and, at one stage, they had such people as Peter Curistan (Sheridan Group) potentially interested. However, I've seen the plans and they are fantasy at best. In any event, in today's environment, they will find it impossible to raise anything like the funds required (in fact, a recent bond scheme to raise £25k for short term remedial works @ Seaview was almost scrapped due to lack of interest). The club's only asset is Seaview and its already mortgaged to Ulster Bank (+ there is also significant debt outstanding to Bass).

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Just watched BBC 1 main news, southern shoppers queuing to get into Newry shopping centres.

Wounder do they want to buy a few houses?

this is making the natonial news?

wow

tescos + the like along the border are going to be insane in the next day or so

edit, just found it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7794973.stm

Edited by mr slump

HOLA448
HOLA449
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7777627.stm

John Simpson gives a view of the NI economy

How can John Simpson seriously suggest that the housing market here has bottomed out. We are about to enter the most severe recession since the 1940s for flip sake!! The price falls to date have just been the 'froth' coming off a crazy market. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that they dont really count. From here on in is where the 'real' price falls occur as people are forced to sell due to their dire economic circumstances. It's not nice. :(

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

It's not often that we see the NI economy reported on in the Financial times.

South coast and Ulster dole queues double

Dole blackspots graphic

dole_blackspots.gif

and also Construction collapse hits N Ireland jobs hard

Edit to add: You may need to register - it is free - to see the articles above

post-11694-1232616530_thumb.png

Edited by paul65

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4418

Not much good news today :(

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/loc...t-14171815.html

Northern Ireland celebrity chef Paul Rankin and his business partner wife Jeanne are on the brink of losing their last remaining restaurant after being served with bankruptcy papers, it has emerged.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7872786.stm

Plane and train-maker Bombardier is cutting 300 jobs at its Belfast factory, as its aerospace division responds to a decline in global sales.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7871110.stm

The County Antrim engineering firm FG Wilson has announced it is to shed more jobs.

HOLA4419
Not much good news today :(

Northern Ireland celebrity chef Paul Rankin and his business partner wife Jeanne are on the brink of losing their last remaining restaurant after being served with bankruptcy papers, it has emerged.

sniff sniff

snort

smoosers

horrible potato bread

HOLA4420
Looking at this report out today I fail to see how Ulster Bank say we will come out of the recession quicker than UK

http://www.ulsterbank.com/content/group/ec..._PMI_JAN_09.pdf

Imo they are working on the fact that with such a large public sector we should have a shallower recession. This has been the case in past recessions , however we have never had the disaster of massive HPI before. The loss of confidence brought about by the crash has to be the deciding factor as far as i can see , and as we can see in the states the results are likely to be a very deep recession or even depression :(

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Looking at this report out today I fail to see how Ulster Bank say we will come out of the recession quicker than UK

http://www.ulsterbank.com/content/group/ec..._PMI_JAN_09.pdf

I believe it is due to the devaluation of the Pound against the Euro and the ability rfor southeners along the border and below to come across North to do their shopping etc and buy components etc which boosts retail, engineering and manufacturing etc etc

No where else in the UK has a road between Euro Land and Sterling, if you exclude the Euro tunnel and SE England who will experience a similar spurn.

Just like London Property Prices are starting to look cheap for foreign cash rich investors..... Its all to do the revaluation of currencies which was mentioned on this site away back in October 08.

HOLA4423

Northern Ireland dole queue rises by 110 people per day

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/loc...y-14189591.html

Ulster Bank economist Richard Ramsey said: “As the economic tide has gone out, the preponderance of no qualifications within the Northern Ireland labour market will increasingly come to the fore and will limit growth prospects in the future. Clearly, some locations will be affected more than others. This shortcoming needs to be addressed.”

Mr Ramsey has forecast that Northern Ireland’s unemployment rate will soar this year to 7% — some 55,000.

grim stuff

good job the ulster bank are helping by pumping money into co-ownership

;;;;;;;

HOLA4424

Spotlight- Tuesday, February 24 10.35pm BBC1

........How safe is your job? As Northern Ireland suffers its biggest jump in unemployment for a generation, Yvette Shapiro talks to job hunters and employers, and looks for glimmers of hope within the gloom. Will the lost jobs ever be replaced?.....

HOLA4425

Nearly a quarter of the workforce to go at Wrightbus?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7907938.stm

Only months after the company announced the biggest order in its history - orders being cancelled.

This just shows how quickly 'safe' companies can turn at the moment. My personal experience confirms this. Things will get much worse.

This is why encouraging FTBs onto the housing ladder at the moment is utterly wrong.