House Price Crash Forum

Northern Ireland Economy

Vespasian

HOLA441
friend works in shop there - victoria square

very quiet

7/8 shops closed since opening.

lots of flats for sale there............

went for a walk round there on a few weeks ago , lovely place but not many shoppers about.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/loc...t-14269906.html

Northern Ireland’s credit card debt level has tipped over the £1bn mark.

The alarming statistic — which has been derived from an overall UK figure revealed by the Credit Action charity — equates to around £1,600 for every household here.

and VI's talk of green shoots , the pain has only begun imo :(

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_irelan...est/8014531.stm

Quinn Cement factories in Fermanagh and Cavan are to close for a month due to a drop in demand.

65 workers in Derrylin and Ballyconnell have been told not to return to work until mid-May.

In a statement, Quinn Cement said the production of bulk cement was suspended because storage facilities at the plant had reached full capacity.

HOLA443

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_irelan...est/8019154.stm

County Fermanagh insurance magnate Sean Quinn has suffered one of the biggest losses in wealth on this year's Sunday Times Rich List.

His family's fortune has dropped £1,435m (38%) to £2,295m, although they stay second on the overall Irish list.

Bad year but not exactly skint :blink:

HOLA444
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA445
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA446

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8061522.stm

Workers at County Antrim engineering firm FG Wilson are to be laid off without pay on a temporary basis.

A spokesman said the lay offs were being made to avoid redundancies and would take effect on 1 June to match production time to demand.

Imo this could be the start of the next wave of economic bad news :(

HOLA447
Imo this could be the start of the next wave of economic bad news :(

We have had all the bad news already. There are green shoots everywhere so people are kidding themselves waiting for housing to go down further. Buy now or lose out - fact.

i just wanted to know what it was like to post a load of crap

HOLA448
We have had all the bad news already. There are green shoots everywhere so people are kidding themselves waiting for housing to go down further. Buy now or lose out - fact.

:lol::lol::lol:

You had me going there , thought a bull had a gun to your head ;)

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I must say I was like..."Talks....wtf????" then I scrolled down a bit more :P

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/loc...4240.html?r=RSS

Construction outlook remains gloomy for northern ireland

The full report form the RICS is here: http://www.rics.org/NR/rdonlyres/CE7DE632-...urveyQ12009.pdf

Also as a side issue BBC Good Morning Ulster tomorrow will be coming from Mid-Ulster (Magherafelt) as a special programme related to the effect of the economic downturn on the construction and related sectors. Might be worth tuning in to.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4413

Foster's handling of slowdown over first year faces scrutiny - From yesterday's Irish Times

BELFAST BRIEFING: Businesses in Northern Ireland are going bust faster than at any other period in the last decade, writes FRANCESS McDONNELL .

THE NORTHERN Ireland Minister Arlene Foster is not someone who, as they say in the North, has her troubles to seek.

Today she celebrates her first anniversary as the Minister with responsibility for enterprise, trade and investment – and what a year it has been for her.

In the last 12 months, unemployment has soared to a high of 49,000 people. The rate of joblessness has accelerated from 4.6 per cent to the current rate of 6.1 per cent.

According to recent figures from advisers PricewaterhouseCoopers, businesses are currently going bust in Northern Ireland at a faster pace than at any other period over the last decade.

It is not, of course, Arlene Foster’s fault that she was handed the poison chalice of Economy Minister just as the global economy nosedived into a deep recession.

There is nothing the Minister or her officials could have done to influence global macroeconomic issues.

But there are a lot of questions about how well Foster and her team have managed the economic slowdown on home turf.

The full article is here: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/financ...4248422450.html

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I'm looking for jobs at the moment and I have to say I have given up on NI. We just do not have any real industry. There are the odd few technical type jobs but they are typically underpaid, lacking in security and almost exclusively without any real longer term career. I knew in my heart that NI wasn't in great shape but the economy lacks any real external income - we spend on importing items, we spend making jobs for ourselves but there is no money coming in. We are just going ever deeper into a hole.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business...r-14340252.html

"Bloodbath looms in Northern Ireland's public sector

Not a lot of sympathy in the comments.

feck doccy you got me rantin again!

visited a local gov dept yesterday to try and sort out some mind numbing red tape

walked through security where 2 officers were so engrossed in their crosswords

if i had been bin laden with an AK+RPG i doubted they would have batted an eyelid

there were 3 receptionists

2 were so busy discusing their mammies problems i didnt even register with them!

the third just managed to lift her finger to point me at a book to sign in without distracting her from her book!

the dpt had been open 3 hours i was the 3rd name in the book!

overworked or what?

finally found who i was looking for

who was actually very helpfull though i was distracting her from her facebook

she could not answer my question but was able to phone someone who could

so a better result than usual!

why does this annoy the hell out of me?

well my family and i for our sins are heavily involved with a very well known charity

who provide palliative care for terminally ill patients in their own home

the nurses pay comes 50% from the charity and 50% from the health board

which is very fair i think as it frees up a lot of hospital beds for the board

the board has just cut its budget for this service in half for this year!

need i say more?

rock on!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
VS is a flagship project and the confidence displayed by those with a stake in it is demonstrative of why NI will weather the financial storm without any real loss.

ps. that is what i was told some months ago....

and just looook at the architecture you philistines!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8114977.stm

rock on!

HOLA4420
and just looook at the architecture you philistines!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8114977.stm

rock on!

all very nice , but what's it good for :blink: , VS reminds me of the Millenium Dome in London

fantastic design but useless for it's original purpose , anyone got any good ideas what to turn VS into ?

I'll start the ball rolling , how about a new college campus instead of wasting money building one in TQ ?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Nice suggestion, however it looks like there is going to be no need of more campus space anytime soon...

Belfast Telegraph - Queen’s to confirm over 100 redundancies

Could have been worse though... I will be interested to see who gets the 'kick'...

Only moderately related, jobs general. NI is one thing and UK is another. I have been applying into the energy sector - the jobs have been advertised until relatively recently but the most recent 'drive' has led to a lot of 'posts on hold'. Given this is a strong growth area, I am a bit fearful... not least since i cant find another job! :lol:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

i have watched the main street of a local town over the years

it always seem to do pretty good business

in the good old days there was numerous factories surrounding it

now none that i am aware of !

but that was more than made up by the construction boom

it laid claim to be the fastest growing town in the north for a few years

the council now said it had become a great dormitory town to live in

and to satisfy the new consumers the council bent over backwards to accomodate a brash new tesco

last couple of years i have watched numerous shops on the high st shut

some to be replaced by charity shops

now i have seen something that i would never have dreamt of

a brand new pawn shop!!!!!!!!!!

progress????

yes i know

name that town!

BallyNOmoney!!!!!!!!!!!!

rockon!