House Price Crash Forum

Virgin's Rock Bid 'to Be Blocked'

Vespasian

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7113766.stm

A main investor in troubled lender Northern Rock says that it will block a bid for the bank from Richard Branson's Virgin Group because it is too low.

Virgin was earlier named as Northern Rock's preferred buyer, a move that had been backed by the Treasury.

However, RAB Capital, which is the second-largest shareholder in Northern Rock, said it would oppose the move.

Should a takeover fall through, then the bank could be nationalised or put into administration.

RAB, which owns about 6.7% of the bank, told the BBC that Virgin's offer was "cheeky" and that the value it put on Northern Rock was "too low".

BBC business editor Robert Peston said that opposition represented "a major obstacle for Virgin and an embarrassment for the Rock board".

HOLA442
HOLA443

RAB are gambling that Gordie & Darling won't dare to let NR go down the pan and into administration, because the 5,500 job losses in the north-east would be politically unpalatable. They must either think that a better offer will come along, or that plan B is to continue with the status quo indefinitely.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
RAB are gambling that Gordie & Darling won't dare to let NR go down the pan and into administration, because the 5,500 job losses in the north-east would be politically unpalatable. They must either think that a better offer will come along, or that plan B is to continue with the status quo indefinitely.

As an exiled Geordie, I disagree.

NuLab's grip on the North East is so complete that they'll win the area's seats even if they put a real donkey up as a candidate.

Because their support is pretty unbreakable, it's not a swing area so why the hell would they want to help the Geordies if they would get in anyway?

HOLA447
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Dissipated, who doesn't own any NR shares, was quoted as saying "Are you taking the ******ing piss? The only thing those share certificates should be useable for is to frame and hang on the wall to remind yourselves you were silly ****s for buying them."

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

HOLA448
HOLA449

- if RAB wants to block an offer he needs to find some mates fast because he won't be able to with 7%

- if RAB wants to block a rights issue, and a deal that way would effectively be a reverse takeover, he needs to either a) find some mates or B) hope that nobody else votes in any shareholder resolutions approving the issue of the new shares

- if he makes enough noise the NR board may sweeten it a bit just to stop the hectoring from the sidelines.

It seems that RAB have likely been dun over. I can't imagine that they would ever do that to any company which goes to them asking for money.

The CEO has a long history of giving money to charitable causes and it is heartening to see someone blending their personal and professionals roles in such a way as to continue this laudable activity. Who said big corporates were heartless, shame on you.

Edited by Wudolf

HOLA4410

NuLab's grip on the North East is so complete that they'll win the area's seats even if they put a real donkey up as a candidate.

Because their support is pretty unbreakable, it's not a swing area so why the hell would they want to help the Geordies if they would get in anyway?

What would happen if a monkey challenged Labour in the North East?

_1965569_monkey.jpg

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

As someone who worked in Newcastle from 2000-03, point taken but I still think this could be a factor. Agreed totally that Doug Henderson is unlikely to lose his seat, even if he's caught sodomising a goat on the top of Grey's Monument. But Tyneside did elect a Tory mayor, the Lib Dems are a major force on the council and there are a lot of marginal constituencies within spitting distance that will be affected if 5,500 jobs disappear in one fell swoop. A lot of those NR employees spend money which goes into the consumer economy of those constituencies, for one thing.

Labour's support is only unbreakable in the north-east as long as they maintain a reputation for jobs being created, not lost, on their watch. Big bad Maggie closed down the mines and put tens of thousands of people on the dole, thereby rendering the Tories unelectable in the north-east for a generation. If thousands of jobs are lost on Labour's watch as well, the effect for them could be equally as devastating: and Brown and Darling know that.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I don't understand the emphasis on all current news analysis with shareholders. If you buy shares in a company you are taking a risk which guarantees nothing, yet most media comments are citing the shareholders rather than depositors. If you deposit cash in a bank you have absolute priority. If you buy shares in a bank you take a calculated risk. The NR is not in a position to reject anything. If they reject Virgin and no-one else is interested, which appears to be the case, the shareholders will lose everything anyway.

VP

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
If they reject Virgin and no-one else is interested, which appears to be the case, the shareholders will lose everything anyway.

I think they're gambling that if they reject Virgin, the government will allow the status quo to continue indefinitely - in which scenario they'd lose not quite everything - rather than absorb the political and economic fallout from allowing NR to go down.

If you buy shares, you're buying a part of the company and with it the right to take part in decisions about its future. Ordinarily, that would mean risking everything if the company goes bust. But in this case, the Government's bailout makes the situation - to paraphrase Samuel L. Jackson in 'Pulp Fiction' after his encounter with The Gimp - 'pretty f***in' far from ordinary'.

HOLA4418
I don't understand the emphasis on all current news analysis with shareholders. If you buy shares in a company you are taking a risk which guarantees nothing, yet most media comments are citing the shareholders rather than depositors. If you deposit cash in a bank you have absolute priority. If you buy shares in a bank you take a calculated risk. The NR is not in a position to reject anything. If they reject Virgin and no-one else is interested, which appears to be the case, the shareholders will lose everything anyway.

VP

You're absolutely right.

It seems today that people just want the rewards without fully understanding the pitfalls,and whinge like mad if they don't get their own way.People really do need to grow up.

If you put your life savings to win on the "sure thing" in the grand national and it comes in fourth,you LOSE.End of story.If you go back to the bookies demanding your money back they will just laugh at you.

HOLA4419
You're absolutely right.

It seems today that people just want the rewards without fully understanding the pitfalls,and whinge like mad if they don't get their own way.People really do need to grow up.

If you put your life savings to win on the "sure thing" in the grand national and it comes in fourth,you LOSE.End of story.If you go back to the bookies demanding your money back they will just laugh at you.

Oh dear looks like the Govt has got a major headache after being so cocky about selling it off. Brown must be pissed, probably chucking stuff round No 10

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Surely if they allow it to go into administration, the receivers will just sell it off to the 1st and only bidder? i.e. RB?

Does anyone know what the legal position is when a company goes into administration? I wouldn't imagine the shareholders get to decide anything - wouldn't it be the debtors deciding? (i.e. GB)

HOLA4422
Surely if they allow it to go into administration, the receivers will just sell it off to the 1st and only bidder? i.e. RB?

Not RB as in 'the poisons are hatching out of the mud', surely? :lol:

Does anyone know what the legal position is when a company goes into administration? I wouldn't imagine the shareholders get to decide anything - wouldn't it be the debtors deciding? (i.e. GB)

While the business is still nominally afloat, shareholders can vote on whether or not to accept a takeover deal. I suspect that in this case, they're threatening not to in order to force the hand of the Government, which has effectively lent NR the mother of all unsecured loans without becoming a shareholder itself, and is therefore in a politically vulnerable position. The shareholders know that if Gordie and Darling pull the plug, bang goes £25bn, 5,500 jobs and any vestige of economic credibility they may once have had.

However, if and when NR does actually become officially insolvent and administrators are called in to salvage what value they can from it, those administrators don't have to sell a business as a going concern if they think they can raise more money by liquidating it instead. I imagine that this is what'll happen here: the relatively safe components of the mortgage book will be sold for some hard cash (though not nearly as much as the BOE have ploughed in), and presumably paying off the BOE will take priority. If the beardy RB then wishes to buy the toxic waste that remains, I can't see anyone standing in his way.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Branson`s Spokeswoman on BBC News.

Shareholders will receive no dividends until the Taxpayers money is repaid in full.

No wonder they are opposing the deal.

HOLA4425