House Price Crash Forum

Which Bank Is The Least Vulnerable...?

HOLA441

I am with a major high street bank and have become very concerned about them in the last 2 weeks.

I don't want to name them, but if I said they were one of two banks that went to the Fed for a $30bn credit line and also went to the BoE twice in the last three months, you could understand my concern.

Which bank would be best to put my business and personal savings into? Or are they all in a mess?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
I am with a major high street bank and have become very concerned about them in the last 2 weeks.

I don't want to name them, but if I said they were one of two banks that went to the Fed for a $30bn credit line and also went to the BoE twice in the last three months, you could understand my concern.

Which bank would be best to put my business and personal savings into? Or are they all in a mess?

I'd say Bank of Mom & Dad..I usually use them as the lender of last resort but I gather they operate an extended credit facility for all occasions, are open 24/7 & are immune to any credit crunch...I`m not sure if I`d want to deposit any money in it though :blink:

Edited by thirdwave

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest The_Oldie
The problem is I'm not sure where I read that or how accurate it is. Quite possibly it was a post on here. It may not be true - I don't know.

From Sainsburys Bank website.

Financial Services Compensation Scheme

Sainsbury's Bank is a member of the Financial Services Compensation Scheme under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000. Where a customer has made deposits in a savings or bank account, payments under the scheme are limited to 100% of the first £35,000, subject to a maximum payment to any one depositor of £35,000. This limit applies provided the insolvency or other default of the bank or firm concerned takes place after 1st October 2007. Most deposits denominated in sterling and other European Economic Area currencies and euro made with offices of the bank within the European Economic Area are covered. There are different levels of protection for other investments covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. Further details of the scheme are available on request.

I spoke to them some weeks ago and the Compensation is per person, ie if you and your wife each have an account, each is protected.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest The_Oldie
yes, I'm worried about my bank, Barlays, too. Lots of rumours around about them.

Are ISAs guaranteed?

I too have money in Barclays but I'm hesitant to move it to another bank as I could jump out of the frying pan into the fire.

Edit: To be honest, I doubt (famous last words?) that any of the major clearing banks will go bust resulting in loss of money in deposit accounts, but some of their investment funds could be heavy losers.

HOLA4413
I too have money in Barclays but I'm hesitant to move it to another bank as I could jump out of the frying pan into the fire.

So am I. Very difficult to know what to do.

I'm primarily worried about my mini cash ISAs and Barclays e-savings accounts because I am not sure they are covered by the deposit guarantee. Also I wonder if it would be a good idea to keep a few hundred pounds in cash at home just in case it becomes difficult to get cash.

HOLA4414

Why precisely would anyone have savings with Barclays - their rates are dreadful - do you not look at best buy tables?

Why not try a mutual building society e.g. Yorkshire/Nationwide or a smaller regional society if there is one in your area. They are far safer havens in the current climate - many have been around since the Crimean war so have seen worse times than this. Not of course that the government could or would allow depositors at one of our high street banks to lose their money.

HOLA4415
Guest The_Oldie
Why precisely would anyone have savings with Barclays - their rates are dreadful - do you not look at best buy tables?

Offshore Euro account, rates are quite competitive.

Why not try a mutual building society e.g. Yorkshire/Nationwide or a smaller regional society if there is one in your area. They are far safer havens in the current climate - many have been around since the Crimean war so have seen worse times than this. Not of course that the government could or would allow depositors at one of our high street banks to lose their money.

I also have money in Yorkshire, are you sure they don't have exposure to toxic paper? I'm not completely convinced.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

For what it's worth I had a look at this a few months ago. Based purely on exposure to sub prime lending, adherence to some sort of fractional reserve system, and low exposure to credit card and mortgage lending I went for Co-Op Bank.

It's worth doing the homework. At the end of the day no bank is future proof some just look less exposed than others.

HOLA4419

I'm splitting my captital up into £70k chunks and opening joint savings accounts to take advantage of the government gaurantee of the first 35k of each depositers deposit. Trouble is its hard to find half a dozen accounts which even come close to the quality of Icesave.

Northern Rock has been saved at roughly double the cost of Trident. Thats a big ticket expenditure. IF the Bradford or Leicester goes the same way I just do not think the BoE will have the money or will to do a NR2. At which point I wouldn't want to be working in the NS&I call centre..

ANDY

HOLA4420
Guest muttley
I'm splitting my captital up into £70k chunks and opening joint savings accounts to take advantage of the government gaurantee of the first 35k of each depositers deposit. Trouble is its hard to find half a dozen accounts which even come close to the quality of Icesave.

If we reach a point where more than one or two banks go to the wall, then the governments promise would be meaningless.

As for a safe bank.....HSBC. They are huge, global and have been less aggresive with their mortgage lending.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Am I mistaken or are all deposits up to £35k not gauranteed since the NR fiasco?

Almost right,Northern rock is guaranteed for an unlimited amount in perpetuity for deposits made now,BOE wants the B*gger off its hands at any price.Rather worrying that the Government think it can underwrite most of the one trillion on deposit at UK Banks,except for amounts over the 35K.There again the govenment thinks nothing of filling the 760 billion shortfall in public sector superannuation schemes.And those who will benefit haven't even actually saved that money,it is because of a f**k up in longevity estimates,collapse in investment returns , collapse in annuity rates and stellar rise in pay on what final salary schemes are based.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4423
Guest grumpy-old-man
For what it's worth I had a look at this a few months ago. Based purely on exposure to sub prime lending, adherence to some sort of fractional reserve system, and low exposure to credit card and mortgage lending I went for Co-Op Bank.

It's worth doing the homework. At the end of the day no bank is future proof some just look less exposed than others.

it was pure luck that we are with a AAA rated bank anyway. Are we safe, probably not according to cg, but it's all down to personal circumstance.

I moved what sterling I had left into my euro account, is that safe, probably not either.

I am starting to wish I had bought some gold now, but realistically I need access to the money unfortunatly, I also have the little known but very common disease called the: p1ss-poor syndrome, often associated with working class males from the North. :D

HOLA4424

City fears second bank is heading for credit crisis

· Rumours sweep City over who borrowers might be

· Barclays shares hit by financial stability fears

Phillip Inman

Saturday November 3, 2007

The Guardian

The City was swept by rumours yesterday that another British bank was in trouble after Northern Rock indicated it was not the only bank borrowing from the Bank of England's rescue fund.

Northern Rock has borrowed only £18bn of the £23bn lent by the Bank of England from its emergency loan fund, leading to speculation that other British banks need £5bn of extra funds to cope with the global credit crunch.

The chairman of the Newcastle-based bank confirmed the level of borrowing from the central bank was below £20bn in an interview with the Newcastle Journal. Sources close to Northern Rock indicated the figure was closer to £18bn as the need for borrowing in the last few weeks had been lower than the scramble for funds in the immediate aftermath of the bank's near-collapse in September.

HOLA4425
Guest tbatst2000
As for a safe bank.....HSBC. They are huge, global and have been less aggresive with their mortgage lending.

Agreed on HSBC, they have a long tradition of a very strong capital base and have already written off most of their mortgage related problems. If they go under, any money you've got will have become worthless anyway.