House Price Crash Forum

Northern Rock: £1bn Withdrawn In A Day

Jake Z

HOLA441

"Move along, nothing to see here", says the BoE!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6996136.stm

Move to quell Northern Rock fears

Mortgage lender Northern Rock says it has not yet had to borrow the money granted by the Bank of England as an emergency lending facility.

Experts reassured customers the bank would not go bust as many queued to withdraw their savings on Friday.

Shares in the group fell by 32% after it emerged it had approached the Bank of England for help.

The bank has struggled to raise money to finance its lending ever since money markets seized up over the summer.

The Newcastle-based bank warned it could have £150m shaved off its profits due to the money market turmoil.

On Friday thousands of customers visited Northern Rock bank branches across the country to withdraw savings, fearful the business could collapse.

Several customers showed BBC reporters slips that suggest they withdrew sums of £100,000 and more.

Reports estimate that savers took £1bn out of their accounts on Friday, but Northern Rock has not confirmed this figure.

Tony Looch, a 68-year-old customer, who queued for nearly two hours at Northern Rock's Moorgate branch in central London, said: "My confidence has been shattered. I would not put a penny into that company again."

Another lender outside a branch in Newcastle city centre asked: "If they are short of funds, what happens to our funds?"

But a number of officials and experts tried to reassure the bank's 1.5 million savers their money was safe.

Michael Coogan, of the Council of Mortgage Lenders, said he felt customers had over-reacted....

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Just reported on Today R4 that dozens of customers are queuing outside NR branches...

Seems that the collateral NR has can just cover the deposits. So if everyone took out their money, NR would have simply evaporated, but the depositors got their money.

Where will they put it? Hope not into BTL, otherwise we will see one hell of a BRRRRRP - BLAAAAAT!

HOLA447

The chief exec claimed yesterday that NR hold a total of £24bn in retail deposits, and that the BoE has offered them £36bn in emergency credit if they need it. Therefore, he argued, even if every last penny of retail savings were withdrawn, NR would still be afloat.

If those figures are true, I suppose that scenario's better than letting NR go down and take a significant proportion of depositors' savings with it. Given that their only operating credit would be at a much higher interest rates than that of their competitors, I can't see how NR could survive in the long-term if this happened. New mortgage business would all but stop, because they wouldn't be able to offer loans to even remotely 'prime' borrowers that other lenders couldn't offer at better rates.

HOLA448
"Move along, nothing to see here", says the BoE!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6996136.stm

Move to quell Northern Rock fears

On Friday thousands of customers visited Northern Rock bank branches across the country to withdraw savings, fearful the business could collapse.

Several customers showed BBC reporters slips that suggest they withdrew sums of £100,000 and more.

Reports estimate that savers took £1bn out of their accounts on Friday, but Northern Rock has not confirmed this figure.

I'm in the process of advising my parents to move over £400k out of B&B to Tesco and Abbey (6.75% and 6.3% respectively).

If things get worse then how are these banks going to survive?

If NR was suffering before people started withdrawing all that money and the credit crunch continues then surely it's bust? And that will be followed by B&B.

I learnt yesterday that NR finance lending with only 24% of savers money, B&B was next with just 40%. To compare, Nationwide is 70%. The rest is borrowed elsewhere.

HOLA449
I'm in the process of advising my parents to move over £400k out of B&B to Tesco and Abbey (6.75% and 6.3% respectively).

Less convinced about Abbey.

But Tesco must be one of the safest plays imaginable - a minor diversification of one of the most respected businesses on the planet...

HOLA4410
Less convinced about Abbey.

But Tesco must be one of the safest plays imaginable - a minor diversification of one of the most respected businesses on the planet...

Tesco's savings accounts and credit cards are administered by Royal Bank of Scotland aren't they?

I would only put my savings now in a proper building society and spread the money around so that you have no more than £30k in each e.g. Nationwide, Yorkshire, Britannia. If you have a small local building society in your area (e.g. Leek United, Nottingham, Saffron etc) even better. Sensible Northern Rock customers in the north east should head straight to their local Newcastle Building Society branch!

Many of the current local building societies have been around since the Crimean war so apart from keeping your savings under a pillow they are your best bet. My personal recommendation is National Counties (www.ncbs.co.uk) - massive savings reserves and few mortgages plus they pay far better rates than the Northern Rock!

A full list of building societies with weblinks can be found here:

http://www.rpoints.com/carpetbagger/societies.php

HOLA4411
Tesco's savings accounts and credit cards are administered by Royal Bank of Scotland aren't they?

I would only put my savings now in a proper building society and spread the money around so that you have no more than £30k in each e.g. Nationwide, Yorkshire, Britannia. If you have a small local building society in your area (e.g. Leek United, Nottingham, Saffron etc) even better. Sensible Northern Rock customers in the north east should head straight to their local Newcastle Building Society branch!

Many of the current local building societies have been around since the Crimean war so apart from keeping your savings under a pillow they are your best bet. My personal recommendation is National Counties (www.ncbs.co.uk) - massive savings reserves and few mortgages plus they pay far better rates than the Northern Rock!

ITA, our savings are with Tesco via Royal Bank of Scotland and I had the same thought last night about moving our money to a building society.

HOLA4412

Someone on this site doesn't think Britannia is a good bet.

HERE

HOLA4413
HOLA4414