House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441
Not necessarily. It always depends on the specific situation and what really happens/who acts.

NO. There is a historic time series for gold in USD, GBP and EUR. Look e.g. here: http://www.lbma.org.uk/statistics_historic.htm

From these prices in the different currencies, you are then able to recalculate the historic exchange rates on these days.

Hmmm maybe it wasn't such a dopey question then. At the moment we are in record territory for gold in USD + 950 but still a little lower than last weeks GBP level. Is there likely to be an event that could significantly increase the price of gold in GBP even if the price has not moved much in USD?

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Hmmm maybe it wasn't such a dopey question then. At the moment we are in record territory for gold in USD + 950 but still a little lower than last weeks GBP level. Is there likely to be an event that could significantly increase the price of gold in GBP even if the price has not moved much in USD?

Yes. A George Soros style attack on the pound where it plunges 20% (e.g. against the Dollar) on a single day. In case gold stayed constant in Dollars, gold in Sterling would rise by 25% (100% / 80% = 125%).

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Feb. 25 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Treasury supports allowing the International Monetary Fund to sell some of its $98 billion in gold reserves to help cover a revenue shortfall, the department's top international official said.

``We have a very credible plan for cost reduction that's in the process of being implemented'' at the IMF, David McCormick, Treasury's undersecretary for international affairs, told reporters in Washington. ``For that reason, Treasury supports limited gold sales.''

Maybe this is an appropriate event to mark the end of Western financial dominance.

Well done, IMF & USA! You sold all our gold to the East.

Edited by Goldfinger

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
So, you had insider information and shorted just before it happened?

Of course I don't have insider information. :rolleyes:

It is following the Euro which was a sell under 1.4880, and crude which is well down too. Once it turned down from 952 this morning is was a short-term sell for me, although I think this is temporary above 932. We'll see.

Edited by Red Kharma

HOLA4420

Just looks like another dip that will bottom out at £15,000kg around midweek before it goes back up to about £15,800 by beginning of next week. Perhaps I should have shorted my BV gold ready to buy physical to cover costs, but chances are when I do there will be a sustained up-leg that will leave me behind. Sods law..

Are you happy to have your gold in BV when the exit for it is through the banking system that might go tits up?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Interesting artcile in the Times

by William Rees-Mogg

William Rees-Mogg has had a distinguished career with The Times and The Sunday Times. He was Deputy Editor of The Sunday Times before becoming Editor of The Times in 1967, a position he held until 1981. He was made a life peer in 1988. Since 1992 he has been a columnist for The Times, writing on a variety of issues. He has also been chairman of the Broadcast Standards Council and British Arts Council. He posts regularly on the website HousePriceCrash.co.uk under the sobriquet "Goldfinger".

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Interesting artcile in the Times

by William Rees-Mogg

I like the comment by "R. Istbear, Stratford on Avon," ... hmmm, I wonder who that is. ;)

Ya know, the funny thing is, all the comments that disagree with Lord Rees-Mogg seem to follow the bizarre argument of "Gold hasn't really gone up much since 1980 so it's a bad investment. I'm not going near it". Such arguments follow the exact same (flawed) logic as those who say "House prices have gone up for 10 years so they won't fall".

I mean, come on - HOW FRICKIN' STUPID CAN YOU GET?!! ... I don't drive my car and say "Oh, I've driven 300 miles without filling up the tank so it'll never run out, I'll keep on going".

I just can't comprehend it. Really. Honestly. I just don't understand the logic of these people!