House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441
Ah. I meant, what mining stocks did you buy?

GF take a look at these funds ML Gold and General probably best also take a look at Merry Lynch World Mining investment trust and also Investec Global Gold here:http://trustnet.com/ut/funds/?fund=6352

http://trustnet.com/ut/funds/perf.asp?sort...ll&type=all

Edited by hollogramme

• Replies 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
$736 now, anybody reckon $800 by the end of the month.

It will soon be at the level of about 18 months ago, which means that in the 18 months gold hasn't been a good hedge against inflation (you'd have been better off buying property). Compared to sterling it has got a long way to go to match it's level of 18 months ago. So it looks as much like weakness of the dollar rather than necessarily strength of gold so far.

How this will change in the next 18 months is another matter...

Edited by Wlad

HOLA443
It will soon be at the level of about 18 months ago, which means that in the 18 months gold hasn't been a good hedge against inflation (you'd have been better off buying property). Compared to sterling it has got a long way to go to match it's level of 18 months ago. So it looks as much like weakness of the dollar rather than necessarily strength of gold so far.

Yes. However, with Sterling's recent weakness we could see bigger moves anytime soon.

12-May-06 725.75 382.739 561.378

20-Sep-07 727.75 362.570 518.451

Well, gold has retreated a little. Good that we're not in a full blown mania yet. :)

Edited by Goldfinger

HOLA444
HOLA445
$737, and going like a helium-filled scalded rat up a drainpipe in a zero-gravity environment with a jetpack driving GF's space shuttle on speed.

... explain please. Gold has done so well in the last 3 weeks, that I have may have to worry about capital gains tax, on my Bullion Vault account in the next few months :o

If I am constantly spread betting, can I avoid capital gains?

Or, do I just need to buy britannias = no capital gains, but large spreads (I'm a real noob sorry :( )

HOLA446
HOLA447

Very true, sterling has been very strong up until a month ago (it was tracking the Euro within a 5% band) , but that all changed when the The HMS UK Subprime started to spring a leak. Now UK's subprime is there for all the world to see. Thanks to NR, the books of these companies are being examined and they, quite frankly, stink like a bad turd.

As a result of recently events, the UK property market has stalled, and now the BTL crowd are wondering around with their leather filofaxes wondering what hit them. The confusion will turn to panic and then the whole strong pound, Bob the builder and Mewing Malinda economy is going to come crushing down.

Expect sterling to bear the brunt as it is right now crashing against Gold and diving against the Euro.

HOLA448
Very true, sterling has been very strong up until a month ago (it was tracking the Euro within a 5% band) , but that all changed when the The HMS UK Subprime started to spring a leak. Now UK's subprime is there for all the world to see. Thanks to NR, the books of these companies are being examined and they, quite frankly, stink like a bad turd.

As a result of recently events, the UK property market has stalled, and now the BTL crowd are wondering around with their leather filofaxes wondering what hit them. The confusion will turn to panic and then the whole strong pound, Bob the builder and Mewing Malinda economy is going to come crushing down.

Expect sterling to bear the brunt as it is right now crashing against Gold and diving against the Euro.

this goverment has a trump card up its sleve that almost no one expects (iinc me). this is a get out of jail free card and if done right could make this nation people rich again in real terms

and that is....... property

soon as the HPI gravy train is done (about now) the goverment can relax planning so much that everyone plus dog can build a property in an empty space (excluding some cases, but very very relaxed compared to now).

that will give this country a MASSIVE boom in construction. The spanish with a population of 40mil build 800k homes a year, while us with a population of 65mil build 200k a year.

just imagine 800k more homes being build per year, how many more direct jobs is that? 2.5mil? more? how many indirect jobs will benifits from that, hard to say, but its going to be far more than 2.5mil. it would be a massive boom. keeping the people in jobs. for at lest 5 years and on.

if i where gordon, i would not worry too much about a housing bust, as long as the nation is in jobs they will be relatively happy!

HOLA449

Today was good for gold and it's on a nice looking up trend I think tomorrow will be even more bullish I wouldn't be surprised to see $770/oz.

How are you all investing in it? I am spread betting do some of you actually have Gold bars? if so where can you buy them and how many oz's are they per bar normally?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Today was good for gold and it's on a nice looking up trend I think tomorrow will be even more bullish I wouldn't be surprised to see $770/oz.

How are you all investing in it? I am spread betting do some of you actually have Gold bars? if so where can you buy them and how many oz's are they per bar normally?

Some here have accounts for allocated physical bullion with Goldmoney and/or BullionVault. If you want to buy coins (possibly the better choice) you could check out taxfreegold (Chards) or goldline (Bairds). They send it by mail, fully insured.

If you only bet on gold (or buy paper gold), you suppress the price as you don'y buy the actual stuff and increase demand.

HOLA4412
... explain please. Gold has done so well in the last 3 weeks, that I have may have to worry about capital gains tax, on my Bullion Vault account in the next few months :o

If I am constantly spread betting, can I avoid capital gains?

Any profits realised from spreadbetting are tax free. The transaction costs are lower than buying physical gold too. The security is better too. Also, you don't have to put all your money up front, so you can earn interest on the rest, effectively giving your gold holding a 5% yield.

In fact I can't see any advantage in holding physical gold.

HOLA4413
Cells, you really, really shouldn't smoke that stuff.

create a massive job boom, so that the average person is earning more money in real terms and the majority will not care what house prices are doing.

by relaxing building laws in this country so that we can build 800k to 1mil homes a year will create 2.5million new jobs directly in construction. Will create at lest another 1million indirectly. will increase the wages of a lot of people directly (via these 3.5mil new people spending into the economy).

at the same time, the tax berdon per person would go down some 10% (since workforce is increasing 10%). That will mean we could whipe off national insurance tax, or lower the basic tax to 10%. That in turn will get even more spending into the economy.

it would be a boom compaired to no other, would last a decade, and enrich the people via better wages and cheaper homes!

HOLA4414
Any profits realised from spreadbetting are tax free. The transaction costs are lower than buying physical gold too. The security is better too. Also, you don't have to put all your money up front, so you can earn interest on the rest, effectively giving your gold holding a 5% yield.

can you rub a spread betting account all over your body and get blisters, if not, gold bugs are not interested! :lol:

Edited by cells

HOLA4415

Surely however you buy it you reduce available supply. I would have thought that if I make a long bet the broker I use would hedge it by buying Gold futures and that would have an impact down the line on supply when that contract becomes due?

I read somewhere that you can make Gold now as well as mine it is there any truth in that? Is it more expensive to produce artificially than to mine and does anyone know if that might have a meaningful impact on the supply picture?

Also is there a good place to see the open interest on the futures market for free on the web so that I can get a better idea of the volume I am not used to looking at a chart without volume and I feel handicapped.

HOLA4416

Your talking derivatives but isn't this what has got us in to this mess in the first place?

How can the security of a derivative account with some overleveraged shark organisation be compared to holding physical gold?

Neirther is perfect both have drawbacks do a bit of both.

The point of physical gold is it is a hedge against a serious meltdown of derivatives.

HOLA4417
I read somewhere that you can make Gold now as well as mine it is there any truth in that? Is it more expensive to produce artificially than to mine and does anyone know if that might have a meaningful impact on the supply picture?

you can make any element if you really want to, some elements where discovered by making them

as for making gold, it would be unviable, for now, and for the forseable future

unless someone can discover a "atomic catalyst", then gold bugs are in shit. although such a discovery would change the world. could potentally use it to turn anything and everything into a supernuke.

HOLA4418
The point of physical gold is it is a hedge against a serious meltdown of derivatives.

The point of spreadbetting is that you can make money. Real money. You know. The stuff with the Queen's picture on it.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

not quite. You are not betting on spot gold (well you can, but you ahve to pay daily funding and bidoffer), you normally do it on futures. As a result, if you have USD in cash, the interest earnt on those would be offset by the difference between spot gold and the gold future. One thing I do liek about spreadbetting is that payout can be quantoed directly into sterling. As a result, I benefit twice from USD weakening. Firstly I benefit as gold goes up in dollars, secondly I benefit because the % gain is paid in sterling. So for example, if gold went up 1% and dollar weakend by 1% against sterling, I actually make 2% whereas if I were holding physical, I would only make 1% (clearly the opposite applies).

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Your talking derivatives but isn't this what has got us in to this mess in the first place?

How can the security of a derivative account with some overleveraged shark organisation be compared to holding physical gold?

Neirther is perfect both have drawbacks do a bit of both.

If hedging a derivative meltdown is the only reason for holding then would it not be better to hold physical and sell via derivatives. You get no mtm gains or losses and if things go into meltdown then the derivative will be worthless. As a result, you receive the full perceieved benefit of holding the physical but without the mark to market volatility. If you hold it a store of wealth against normal inflation, then clearly this is not the trade for you.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425