House Price Crash Forum

Landlord Wants To Sell House

HOLA441

Last year the landlord told us that they will never sell their house, then they said maybe in a few years..then they offered us the place and I told them that we will come back to them in the new year, and today on the second day of the new year we got a call asking us if we buy or not..other wise the place will go up for sale in April...

I really cant be asked to move again..we are a family of 4..what if all the bloody landlords decide to sell now,,don't want to move every 3 months now and don't want to buy either..we live in outer London..there is nothing about under the 350k mark...I'm so pissed up..

HOLA442

Last year the landlord told us that they will never sell their house, then they said maybe in a few years..then they offered us the place and I told them that we will come back to them in the new year, and today on the second day of the new year we got a call asking us if we buy or not..other wise the place will go up for sale in April...

I really cant be asked to move again..we are a family of 4..what if all the bloody landlords decide to sell now,,don't want to move every 3 months now and don't want to buy either..we live in outer London..there is nothing about under the 350k mark...I'm so pissed up..

Stay pissed up? Problems never seem half as bad to me after a few ales.

On a more serious note ever thought about leaving the big smoke? I'm a red neck midlander but London just isn't the sort of place that appeals to me.

Edited by MrNobody

HOLA443
HOLA444

why does the landlord want to sell?

Its all blahblahblah...but I think they want to get the money dry and save..they bought this house around 2000 and then moved away and rented it out for the last 3 years..we just don't know what to do......hubby wants to buy now..but I think its a bad idea..plus I don't want any of the crap holes they selling here for under 350k.

HOLA445
HOLA446

...illustrating why a stagnation or fall in the housing market (or even a few media stories about it) could possibly cause rents to rise.

If nobody buys BTLs, and a good few evict and sell, which direction will rents go?

up, and that will should cause CPI to rise

HOLA447

That's one of the downsides to renting, I got moved 4 times in 4 years when I was renting a place. Didn't bother me to much as I was a single bloke at the time but families are different.

If you don't want to be moved on all the time, buy a house its that simple.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I had the same problem. Stay cool. There will be some disruption as the crash starts to break but many owners will want to sit it out and still happy to rent.

HOLA4410

Exactly the same situation as me. Landlord promised us up to 3 years on a 6 month at a time tenancy agreement.

Now he wants to sell 15 months on. We have until April to find something else. We don't really want to buy yet.

If you don't want to be moved on all the time, buy a house its that simple.

It's not that simple. I don't want to pay someone for an overpriced house and make me a slave to the bank for the rest of my life whilst they sit in the sun. I would like a house but not at any price. Like Jose Morinho said last night when refering to buying players 'I'd like an Aston Martin, but when they are valued at £250,000 and the salesman wants £1million I tell him where to go'

Edited by eurows

HOLA4411

It's not that simple. I don't want to pay someone for an overpriced house and make me a slave to the bank for the rest of my life whilst they sit in the sun.

Totally agree. Anyone who buys a house at the momement has to be barking mad.

HOLA4412

Would you be willing to show people round? Ask him for a discount on the rent (tell him that it might take 6 months to get an offer accepted) and then tell him that you would leave on say 2 months notice. Am not sure how long the actual selling process takes - somewhere between 1 and 2 months i would guess.

That way - he will still be getting rent whilst it is on the market, you can get a discount for showing people round - and you might even be able to stay there for the next year or so (depending on how the market pans out over 2007). Of course you will have the uncertainty of having to leave on that short notice - but from the general feeling, properties seem to be on the market for a LONG time at the minute. So it might not be such a big gamble.

Worth a try?

HOLA4413

Wots new - this has happened to me twice now - once 18months ago and then last year. The estate agent did mention that this year (this was in 2006) lots of the teneants on his books were being given notice as the landlords (he is the agent for ) take possession - didnt mention to live in or sell tho I suspect sell.

HOLA4414

Stay pissed up? Problems never seem half as bad to me after a few ales.

On a more serious note ever thought about leaving the big smoke? I'm a red neck midlander but London just isn't the sort of place that appeals to me.

I agree, I have never seen the appeal of "doing the London thing", it's beyond me why anyone would want to live in an overcrowded, polluted, ridiculously expensive, crime-ridden, ugly stresshole.

Monopoly, have you thought about moving to the midlands? I'm currently renting a 2 bed semi new build on a cul-de-sac located in Derbyshire for 400pcm. I'm 20 mins away from Sheffield city and 10 mins away from the Peak district. Landlord is great when it comes to repairs btw :)

Edited by Lander

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

This is my biggest worry. I used to be an Owner Occupier and now I rent with my family. The 4 of us are worried that we will need to move every several months and it is such a pain. My poor kids will suffer without stability.

However, this is a small price to pay for financial stability.

HOLA4417

Why don't you look for rentals with year, two year long contracts? Even if you did need to move during the contract, and had to pay out the remainder without living there, it would be cheaper than the cost of buying a property and then selling it (stamp duty+solictor fees+mortgage arrangment fees).

HOLA4418