House Price Crash Forum

I Like Renting Because

mikefluk

HOLA441

i like housing association renting because they only rise 2.4% per year.

the monthly rent on my 1 bed is £200pcm.

the boiler might break, but with one call its fixed.

they cant boot me out for no reason without re-homing me in similar.

why would i plunge out of this and into hideous debt.

people might say pride of owning your home, but id rather have the pride of not being a victim.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Dear Renters

I gave in to fear and bought a place about 2 years back and have obviously made a bit since, yawn yawn however I have to say the place that I was renting was in the best part of Edinburgh for sweet FA. Now I have own place I seem to haemorrhage money left and right re maintenance and it’s no where near as nice an area.

If I were to work out the NET profit made I reckon it would be about nil.

ok someone who bought 10 years ago is laughing but DON'T give in to all the pressure from the 'renting is dead money f**kwits' who will be the same 'oh you bought at the wrong time shame' types when things get really sticky

It doesn’t help that the BoE and Labour Gov (oh ok and the Tories) couldn’t give a s**t about you (or me for that matter) but I think if you guys can stick together re NOT BUYING until prices are realistic and forget all the snotty w**kstains who think they are better than you then you will all have the last laugh.

Renting is where the smart money is at the moment

HOLA443

Obviously renting is not a long term option, but I'm currently enjoy the benefits of what this route can offer;

1. Can afford to live in a beautiful building in prestigious area with a direct view of the sea. If I bought, I'd be in a far less desirable area.

2. Flexibility. Can change jobs without hesitation or move to another location without any hassle. Feels quite good not being tied down to a heavy mortgage.

3. Professional landlord. Light switch in corridor broke and second lock on door jammed last week. Reported and fixed immediately. Broken iron? Replaced. Crack on window. Replaced. My maintenance costs are nil.

I'm basically renting to live, rather than merely exsting to buy.

Edited by Turnbull2000

HOLA444

the boiler might break, but with one call its fixed.

they cant boot me out for no reason without re-homing me in similar.

why would i plunge out of this and into hideous debt.

people might say pride of owning your home, but id rather have the pride of not being a victim.

good for you! Makes one wonder why you'd really bother with buying a house at all... without 40%+ falls!

HOLA445
Guest Charlie The Tramp

So you no longer live in the s**thole you mentioned a few months back, when were you rescued from that hell hole fred ? :)

HOLA446

I'm learning to paraglide. Renting means I can live here near the peak district and be near stunning flying locations like Bunster hill and Castleford, and then move wherever I want once my training is over. I am thinking of moving down near Woolacombe, there is amazing coastal flying to be done down there. Then again, I might buy a camper van and travel around Europe for a bit, then just rent a place if and when I get back.

That would have been trickier as an owner occupier. Plus I don't have to incessantly trim back my sodding Virginia Creeper any more.

HOLA447

Whilst I agree with everything you say, renting has at least one down-side and that is insecurity. The vast majority of tennants can be asked to leave their home with 2 months notice, sometimes less.

Apart from that fact, I too am happy renting and saving for the day houses become affordable.

Stuart

I just sold my flat, moved in with my girlfriend, banked the equity and am now renting. I now live in a 3 bed semi for £600 a month that I could never afford to buy, and if the landlord says I have to move out I'll have no trouble finding somewhere else just as nice.

Life is good.

HOLA448
Guest muttley

Try before you buy.

We rented a house in an area we liked, but it turned out to be too far for the school run. That could have cost us tens of thousands in stamp duty if we had bought.

Another benefit of renting is that I found this site. :)

Edited by muttley

HOLA449

Try for you buy.

We rented a house in an area we liked, but it turned out to be too far for the school run. That could have cost us tens of thousands in stamp duty if we had bought.

Another benefit of renting is that I found this site. :)

no slight intended but I wouldn't have thought you had to go to the lengths of renting somewhere to find out how far it is from your kids school?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I like renting because my deposit for a house enabled me to start a business.

In 3.5 years the balance sheet is £580k, split between me and my business partner.

It has enabled us to buy commercial property (to sit the business in).

It makes £200k p.a. and is increasing annually.

I created 14 jobs.

Had I had a mortgage around my neck I would not have had the balls or facility to go for 6 months without an income and no money to invest.

I had my hand forced (with work changing and all that) but I am glad that I did. Not having a millstone around my neck enabled me to do what I do today.

It's amazing how life turns out.

And no I am not considering buying either.

HOLA4412

I'm basically renting to live, rather than merely exsting to buy.

Brilliant comment and one that I would agree with.

I think apart from the advantages of renting a much better place than I could buy I am also coming to realise that if I had bought in the last couple of years I could not have moved around as I wanted to. I continue to wonder whether if house prices dropped tomorrow I would buy as I can't seem to stay in the same place for any length of time, but maybe that will change.

With reference to the previous poster I am concerned that the combination of student debts and high house prices may have prevented the emergence of a whole generation of entrepeneurs and new small businesses as people who might have started them spend money on repaying student debts or a large mortgage rather than investing in a business.

Just a thought.

HOLA4413

With reference to the previous poster I am concerned that the combination of student debts and high house prices may have prevented the emergence of a whole generation of entrepeneurs and new small businesses as people who might have started them spend money on repaying student debts or a large mortgage rather than investing in a business.

Just a thought.

This is true. If I had high outgoings each month, I could have never started a business and would probably not had the nerve. Just think of all the other things that we could do if we didn't saddle ourselves in debt:

Shake off the UK and go round the world.

Do a job you actually enjoy doing rather than paper-pushing in a job to pay the bills.

Go back to Uni to expand your skills and knowledge.

Spend some quality time with family rather than pushing the overtime to get that extra £50.

etc.etc.etc....

Not having a house was actually fortunate for me and I feel lucky to be in this position.

HOLA4414
Guest muttley

no slight intended but I wouldn't have thought you had to go to the lengths of renting somewhere to find out how far it is from your kids school?

Fair comment.

We knew it was a long way, but didn't realise how important it was to be nearer to the school.

HOLA4415

This is true. If I had high outgoings each month, I could have never started a business and would probably not had the nerve. Just think of all the other things that we could do if we didn't saddle ourselves in debt:

Do a job you actually enjoy doing rather than paper-pushing in a job to pay the bills.

Spend some quality time with family rather than pushing the overtime to get that extra £50.

etc.etc.etc....

Not having a house was actually fortunate for me and I feel lucky to be in this position.

This post kinda shows a social backlash towards the importance of a house (or at least the ownership of a house).

If nobody could give a toss in the UK about rental or ownership, would anybody be prepared to stretch to a 5x mortgage with parental support for the deposit?

edit: or are we all control freaks at heart?

Edited by Night

HOLA4416

This post kinda shows a social backlash towards the importance of a house (or at least the ownership of a house).

If nobody could give a toss in the UK about rental or ownership, would anybody be prepared to stretch to a 5x mortgage with parental support for the deposit?

edit: or are we all control freaks at heart?

I think societal norms are at play here. Look at Germany. No one's that interested in buying and those that do tend to only buy once or twice in thier lifetimes.

HOLA4417

I can't read all the threads but I have just been given my notice to quit as at 1/01.07 - I have foward weks to leave.

The landlady - accomapaied by her "boyfriend" was that I was opposing her human rights and so they were happy to take me to court for abusing their human rights.

Oh, I just mentioned that the the washing machine had never worked - even after she'd got the superious engineer to say the machine was okay - two days later it completely broke down and i gave up on up on it.

Her boyfriend said - you are the responsible part and have to fix the washing machine my girlfriend is not responible and I will take you to court to prove it.

Bring it on I say -- boyfriend saying girlfriend is not responsible but he will prove it - that I juist love.

Bring it on ...

support wld be nice please - I don't normally do this sutf

HOLA4418

Brilliant comment and one that I would agree with.

Just a thought.

I agree, and what you've said in this post has got me thinking. Low credit environment notwithstanding, with student loans, and now tuition fees on top of that, this kind of start has to be stifling for those starting up in business. Well, in my case, as one of the afflicted, I've been very cautious in growing my business. I should imagine that someone that's graduated, got their first job, and bought a 5x salary dual-income shoe-box isn't going to have a very entreprenial attitude considering that taking a 6 - 18 month break without wages is going to mean losing their flat.

Obviously the real risk-taking caution-to-the-wind entrepreneurial types will still go on their merry way regardless, and the same with the rich kids with parents to throw money at them, but for 'normal' people, the current environment has to be stifling at best.

HOLA4419

Renting is spiffing because...

I like cheap carpets and Ikea furniture

I love the insecurity of knowing I could be turfed out with four weeks' notice

I get a warm fuzzy glow from paying a complete stranger's mortgage

I like letting someone else make all my interior design decisions for me

I can snort derisively at the "sheeple" home owners who watch their properties increase in value every month, safe in the knowledge that when I leave, my land lord will sting me for £500 to cover the cost of a small stain on the carpet

You coudn't be more wrong.

I'm renting at the moment after selling my previous property. Admitedly I have banked alot of equity but at the moment I'm surviving on my disposable income which seems to have almost doubled since I got rid of that mortgage. I'll buy again one day but I'm not stupid enough to do it now.

There are good and bad points of both renting and mortgaging, but at the moment I'm choosing to rent.

HOLA4420

Renting is spiffing because...

I like cheap carpets and Ikea furniture

I love the insecurity of knowing I could be turfed out with four weeks' notice

I get a warm fuzzy glow from paying a complete stranger's mortgage

I like letting someone else make all my interior design decisions for me

I can snort derisively at the "sheeple" home owners who watch their properties increase in value every month, safe in the knowledge that when I leave, my land lord will sting me for £500 to cover the cost of a small stain on the carpet

You're right. I must be mad to rent somewhere like this cheaply from a reputable and highly professional landlord. Why oh why didn't I just risk committing myself to 25 years in a ghetto, and be forced to repair and maintain a property I've paid hugely over the odds for.

The 20 yard walk to the beach really is a chore. And that Barker & Stonehouse leather furniture really is appalling :o

http://paulturnbull.myby.co.uk/flat01.JPG

http://paulturnbull.myby.co.uk/flat02.JPG

Edited by Turnbull2000

HOLA4421

etc.etc.etc....

Of course, buying a house and selling it at a fat profit would have put you in an even better position to do all that.