House Price Crash Forum

Bankers Are *ankers

HOLA441

Went into my local H**C today to pay in a check, whilst there, I asked the polite lady behind the counter to order me a new debit card and a new credit card, as they were both not working properly (one had split, other chip n pin not working). Anyway she tells me to use the phone round the corner to sort the credit card out.

Anyway I get through toi H**C credit card people and ordered a new card. Whilst on the phone the guy is asking me if I have a mortgage. I said no. He asks me if I'm thinking of getting one. I say not until at least 2010. He then says something along the lines of "if you decide to get one, give us a ring" - I'm looking at their board that advertises 2 year fix at 5.19% for two years - ermm no thanks. He kept on too. Wish I'd said "I don't buy at the top of bubbles".

Anyway whilst I got away from that subject, I asked if I could have my limit reduced from 7.5K to 1K. I then get told that if it gets dropped I might not be allowed to have it increased. Ermmm I'm reducing it cos I don't want and certainly don't need that much available.

I'm passed impulsive buying thanks!!!

Wound me up a bit.

Edited by OzzMosiz

HOLA442
Guest Baffled_by_it_all

I see my credit card limit as a notional thing. It's about 12k on my VISA but I've never spent more than £400 and paid it straight back.

If they want to keep jacking it up that's their business. Just helps my credit rating I guess.

HOLA443

talked to a morgage advisor recently (who was amazinly negative about the economy and gov), he laid into hcbc at one point aboyut there salary multiples. He seemed to suggest you could get 10x if you tried...

Edited by moosetea

HOLA444
HOLA445

Went into my local H**C today to pay in a check...

I like your cunning disguise of their name.

Baffled By It All has a point about credit ratings. Banks take a very one-dimensional view of things and at some future point some besuited idiot will look at a reduced cc limit and find it strange, plus it all feeds into Experian etc in strange and unfathomable ways. Might be better to let it stay high and just not use it.

HOLA446

said it before and i'll say it again

no credit tightening, no crash

looks like it's still a long way off - maybe freddie harrison is right - 2010 ??

Yep! Increasing the money supply to the economy causes your hard earned to devalue. That's why we're here right?

Much of this extra printed paper goes into inflation beating assets for protection, like gold and property.

When the money becomes harder to get asset values will fall.

The market value of property is proportional to the ease with which money is obtained and of course, its price.

There will be no crash while credit is this easy.

Yes the bankers are *****ers, they are the ones who priced you out the market, made your pay check worthless.

If any of you have sense you will get as many credit cards and loans as you can, max out on cash and ****** off with it.

HOLA447

I like your cunning disguise of their name.

Baffled By It All has a point about credit ratings. Banks take a very one-dimensional view of things and at some future point some besuited idiot will look at a reduced cc limit and find it strange, plus it all feeds into Experian etc in strange and unfathomable ways. Might be better to let it stay high and just not use it.

I have another credit card now - that has a high limit on, but I don't use it for anything at all.

This one I do occasionally use, if I've got high amounts of money moving from my current account.

HOLA448

I have another credit card now - that has a high limit on, but I don't use it for anything at all.

This one I do occasionally use, if I've got high amounts of money moving from my current account.

I paid off a loan at HSBC recently. They seemed rather perturbed about it and keep pestering me to take out another one at a special rate. It doesn't seem to register with them that I was actually rather pleased to pay it off and don't want another one...

HOLA449

I asked my cr card bank to reduce my limit and she said we'll have to have the underwriters review the request. She then started to ask lots of financial qu'aire questions.

Now apart from what I do for a living... I interjected and asked why does an u/w need to review a REDUCTION and no I'm not answering any questions.

She then said...wait for it...

'Well, that's the form completed then.'

A week later and the bank confirmed my request had been 'approved'!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

FP

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I paid off a loan at HSBC recently. They seemed rather perturbed about it and keep pestering me to take out another one at a special rate. It doesn't seem to register with them that I was actually rather pleased to pay it off and don't want another one...

ROFL, I got a call from the loans dept at my bank the other day, asking if I wanted to take out a 25k loan. ("Are you thinking of getting a new car?" etc.). When I said I didn't want a new car, so therefore didn't need a loan, they said, get this! "But you could have a loan anyway and it would be YOUR MONEY TO DO AS YOU LIKED WITH" (??!!!!) :lol::o:unsure::lol: I did actually say, rather tartly, don't you mean that it would be the bank's money for me to do as I liked with, not my money; but the oaf on the other end just didn't get it. :angry: :lol:

My sister used to work for the same bank's tele-loans department, cold-calling customers, and she said they were under aggressive sales targets and often told by their managers to disregard the affordability criteria for loans just so the managers made their own targets for the month and got their bonuses. She doesn't work there any more - said it was just too much of the hard sell, v. unethical environment. :(

HOLA4412

I was amused when I called up the bank one time when I had 50k in my current account (think it was just before I converted it to Canadian dollars), and they asked me if I wanted a loan...

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Went into my local H**C today to pay in a check, whilst there, I asked the polite lady behind the counter to order me a new debit card and a new credit card, as they were both not working properly (one had split, other chip n pin not working). Anyway she tells me to use the phone round the corner to sort the credit card out.

Anyway I get through toi H**C credit card people and ordered a new card. Whilst on the phone the guy is asking me if I have a mortgage. I said no. He asks me if I'm thinking of getting one. I say not until at least 2010. He then says something along the lines of "if you decide to get one, give us a ring" - I'm looking at their board that advertises 2 year fix at 5.19% for two years - ermm no thanks. He kept on too. Wish I'd said "I don't buy at the top of bubbles".

Anyway whilst I got away from that subject, I asked if I could have my limit reduced from 7.5K to 1K. I then get told that if it gets dropped I might not be allowed to have it increased. Ermmm I'm reducing it cos I don't want and certainly don't need that much available.

I'm passed impulsive buying thanks!!!

Wound me up a bit.

H**C are one of the better prividers around IMHO.

...a 10 year fix at 5% I might stomach,provided the house costed less....or maybe if prices plummet a 4%ish 3 year fix(with a sneaky sideline in an ISA)

HOLA4415

said it before and i'll say it again

no credit tightening, no crash

looks like it's still a long way off - maybe freddie harrison is right - 2010 ??

Agreed.

Keep on saying it..please. It's not getting through to a lot of people here. Duh.

No credit tightening plus 3.6 trillion in unspent housing equity means potentially years of stagnation, and even price rises. Wake me up when the mainstream press admit to yoy nationwide price falls. Then we can declare the beginning of the end...

2010 it is.

Edited by Baz63

HOLA4416

I see my credit card limit as a notional thing. It's about 12k on my VISA but I've never spent more than £400 and paid it straight back.

If they want to keep jacking it up that's their business. Just helps my credit rating I guess.

Lucky you!

HOLA4417

If any of you have sense you will get as many credit cards and loans as you can, max out on cash and ****** off with it.

There has to be something in this.

There really does.

HOLA4418

try getting a loan when you are skint and actually need one - it's bloody impossible

When there were hundreds of credit card sales people on the streets a few years back (you don't see them now). I was accosted by one. He asked me if i wanted to apply for a credit card. When something like this happens i usually think of an excuse so that they'd drop me like a hot potato. So thinking i was really clever i said "i'm really sorry i'm unemployed". Ha! I thought you won't be able to get away from me fast enough. But the smug look was soon wiped of my face, and a look of horror appeared as he said "That's okay madam, you can still get a £500 limit.!" Gobsmacked!